Is rubbing your belly in front of people considered offensive?

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 3rd, 2009, 12:31 PM
Love_the_Shoes's Avatar Love my girls!!
So, you know how some women are annoyed when strangers rub their preg. belly w/o asking? I'm wondering if the pregnant mom rubbing HER OWN belly is also annoying to some?

My supervisor cut me off while I was talking today and said "I bet your baby will never fall asleep w/o her back getting rubbed b/c your constantly rubbing your stomach".

I stopped rubbing immediatly and said that I probably have been doing it more b/c she's moving around now and I can feel her.

My supervisor is not fond of pregnant women showing off their bodies proudly...she feels they should basically hide out for the 9 months.

I have to train myself to stop rubbing my belly at work, b/c I do it all the time now (but I've waited forever to feel her, and I am so loving my belly, even if it's just a small little thing).

I need to know if rubbing your belly in public is considered "inappropriate"...b/c if so, I will stop. I don't want to make others uncomfortable.

I didn't know if this was the same as women nursing w/their BB completly exposed w/o even a shawl? I'm for public nursing, but I know A LOT of women find it offensive and feel women should hide in a bathroom to do it (which is absurd).

December 3rd, 2009, 12:35 PM
TeamNick's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Rubbing you belly is not offensive and is normally expected. Don't let your supervisor make you feel bad. You are not doing anything wrong. Pretty soon you will be rubbing it trying to get you little one to move because they are lodged somewhere uncomfortable.

Rub away.

Mommy to Evie and Isla Marie

December 3rd, 2009, 12:35 PM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
Rub your **** belly if you want to! And pshfshgkhtnd to your boss! (And I'm a woman who nurses in public without covering up - and dang proud of it!)
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
December 3rd, 2009, 12:47 PM
JaxonsMom2010's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
RUB RUB RUB until your heart's content. Don't worry about what anyone says. You have worked hard to get that belly and poo on anyone who has a problem.

Sorry hormones are whacked out today....

regarding the bfing in public. I personally cover when I nurse, but I am not OMG when my little one uncovers me. I don't see anyone bottle feeding their baby in the restroom.

Again hormonal today and CRANKY!!!

December 3rd, 2009, 12:59 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
It's definitely not offensive! Your boss must be living in the 1950s when women wore tents to hide a pregnant belly. Don't pay any attention to her. Oh and about the nursing in public, I prefer to cover up but it in no way offends me if someone nurses in public without covering up. A blanket is just for my own comfort.
December 3rd, 2009, 01:03 PM
lilflower
It is NOT offensive to rub your belly. Pinch your nipples? Scratch your crotch? Yes, most likely, but to rub your belly because you are bonding with your child. Screw what your boss thinks. The baby can't feel your hand, and it doesn't doom your kid to have to be rubbed to sleep or touched constantly. Nursing in public is GOOD. Why hide feeding your child? As someone above said bottlefed babies are fed in the bathroom or with a blanket over their heads, why should yours?
December 3rd, 2009, 01:05 PM
Love_the_Shoes's Avatar Love my girls!!
lol thanks guys...I was a little shocked when she said it...I know she's serious though, so I may cut back a bit...

I can't even begin to tell you how upset I get with how they treat nursing mothers, especially in the work-force. I work in politics, specifically w/legislators, and it amazes me (at least in PA) that there isn't a bill passed to give full-time working mothers more options in regards to nursing.

December 3rd, 2009, 01:14 PM
palmetto_moon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Screw that supervisor! She's probably jealous. Does she have kids? Is she wishing she had kids? I only ask because sometimes people inadvertently display their jealousy and longingness by acting ugly and heaping lots of ill manner at those who have what they want.
Rubbing your belly is not rude or inconsiderate. It's a normal thing to do. In a few months, when your little one is born, no one would dare think twice about you rubbing her back of patting her. Why should it be any different now just because she's a fetus?

Thank you Kiliki for my awesome siggy!

visit our family blog at www.stalkedbythestork.com
December 3rd, 2009, 01:28 PM
homeschooling mom of 2
I've been rubbing mine all the time lately, mostly w/o even realizing it but also to clue people in that "hey I'm pregnant, not just fat" LOL and also because 1/2 the time lately its freaking sore from growing/stretching and pushing/rubbing on it makes it feel better. I'm also all for nursing mom's nursing anywhere they want, my IL's and DH's family were so anti nursing and expected me to usher myself and my newborn upstairs or in a back bedroom... I loved nursing her right in front of them w/o them even realizing it and then watching when they realized it's what she had been doing (just me being a bit sadistic though I suppose), but I always smile at any nursing moms I see and actually realize I have to make sure I don't stare, not to be rude or weird but just because after nusing my own DD for so long I see it as such a beautiful thing.
December 3rd, 2009, 01:40 PM
lilflower
Quote:
Originally Posted by Love_the_Shoes View Post
lol thanks guys...I was a little shocked when she said it...I know she's serious though, so I may cut back a bit...

I can't even begin to tell you how upset I get with how they treat nursing mothers, especially in the work-force. I work in politics, specifically w/legislators, and it amazes me (at least in PA) that there isn't a bill passed to give full-time working mothers more options in regards to nursing.
Did I miss something? What is she serious about?
December 3rd, 2009, 04:41 PM
LisaBrown's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I totally agree...rub away!!! It's yours and it's doing all kinds of crazy stuff to you anyways, why not be able to enjoy the fun part of having a baby bump?! Plus I often touch it because it is sensitive or sore also, and if anyone has anything to say about that, they can try being on their feet all day working with teenagers and be patient, energetic, smiling AND pregnant! And as someone mentioned, your boss must either be very old fashioned or envious in some way, and that's all on her, don't feel bad for that!

December 3rd, 2009, 04:55 PM
Jennifer-Jacob's Mommy's Avatar Mega Momma
Send a message via MSN to Jennifer-Jacob's Mommy
I cant believe that she doesnt want you to rub your belly! GOD! I hate to see what she thinks of me, I do it all the time..I just LOVE being pregnant and being able to feel him and enjoy ....to me, its bonding time too with your child! SCREW her, rub away, If she doesnt like it, tell her not to look and if its that much of a problem go to human resources and see what they say lol...

December 3rd, 2009, 06:21 PM
Mega Super Mommy
lol I would not say something pleasant in return lol. I think that is obsurd and she can bit our big pregnant bums

December 3rd, 2009, 06:39 PM
RawrDiino's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to RawrDiino Send a message via Yahoo to RawrDiino
Quote:
Originally Posted by frgsonmysox View Post
Rub your **** belly if you want to! And pshfshgkhtnd to your boss! (And I'm a woman who nurses in public without covering up - and dang proud of it!)
Lol. frgsonmysox I couldn't help myself. I loved this post.

And I agree 100%
Rub your belly all the time. You'll miss it when its gone! I rub my belly now especially when bubs is moving a lot! When I was huge with DS I used to roll him around cause he would get uncomfortable, but I was always rubbing him.

And I nursed in public without blankets as well. Though I was cautious not to let anything be overly exposed.

Inside my head, I'm growling at your boss.
мα∂єℓуи 4.8.10
вєвє вєαи є∂∂ 7.30.11
ωιfєу тσ נσни 9.25.10
December 3rd, 2009, 08:11 PM
Platinum Supermommy
So she doesnt have kids I'm taking it b/c any female who has kids wouldnt NOT mind you rubbing your belly
December 3rd, 2009, 09:17 PM
Super Mommy
Wow! You boss sounds like a real winner. I supose she is the type of person who thinks you can spoil a newborn by giving it to much attention to. Rubbing your belly is something you only get to do for nine months... so rub away. Its a beautiful way to bond with your child and if you feel that she is treating you differently or threatening your job because of this in any way you can get her in a LOT of trouble. It's discrimination. Don't let her take away these precious moments with your baby....

Thank you so much Meganpixel for my beautiful sigie!

December 3rd, 2009, 09:49 PM
mylene169's Avatar Kaija and Kolbie's Mommy
Send a message via AIM to mylene169 Send a message via Yahoo to mylene169
She'd hate me for sure! I've constantly got my hands on my belly!

I didn't nurse in public that often with DD, but did a few times. It was never awkward for me, more so for DH, but he was weird about it in general. I covered up partially with a blanket, but I am soo uncoordinated I didn't want to flash people getting her latched...
December 4th, 2009, 08:16 AM
amazing_love's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
What the heck?! I've never heard of someone being offended by a pregnant woman rubbing their belly! That is so absurd to me. If it were me i'd keep rubbing it anyway. Your boss has no right to tell you to stop. As for breastfeeding, i'm a pretty modest person and know i'll be covering up when doing it in public, but that's just for personal reasons. I've never gotten offended with how others choose to breastfeed (maybe because i've never cared or paid attention to whether someone was covering up or not).

December 4th, 2009, 08:23 AM
Shelli1981's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Shelli1981
To me it sounds like shes Jealous She wants to be the one with the Preggo Belly rubbing it.. She reminds me of that boss lady from that movie Knocked up that thinks pregnant women are gross.. RUB YOUR TUMMY AND RUB IT PROUDLY

Last edited by Shelli1981; December 4th, 2009 at 08:41 AM.
December 4th, 2009, 08:37 AM
Amanda C's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It's not offensive at all. Maybe just to her personally but honestly I've always rubbed my belly while preggo and I've never had anyone look or act funny about it.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search