Ergh wth??

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 3rd, 2009, 08:03 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Why do people think they have the right to ask you to choose another name then what you've chosen? seriously???? " um I like the first name, do you think you could find a different middle name? that is my ex husbands cousins name.plus it doesn't flow well"
ARE YOU FOR REAL?????????????????????? ERGH

December 3rd, 2009, 08:07 PM
onelove1109's Avatar Super Mommy
Ive been dealing with this exact same thing with my mother...fun right?

Btw I like the name you chose!! I think its really pretty!

Thanks so much Jaidynsmum for my adorable siggy!

December 3rd, 2009, 08:43 PM
Mega Super Mommy
haha that is crazy! The name you chose is really cute. But I think that's why we don't tell people the name too. We like to be able to leave it as a surprise, but also no one we know would dare say anything bad once the baby has been born and named... but I think beforehand people think they are doing you a favour! Just because it's not their personal taste!

The only time I'll honestly say if I don't like it, is right here on these boards - if people truly want to ask opinions, then I think I'd say if I didn't like it (or I just wouldn't comment at all perhaps!).

... But what I want to know is, how did you respond to that person??!

Thanks to Meganpixel for my beautiful siggie!
December 3rd, 2009, 08:56 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Haha I'd look @ them sideways like "STFU!"
December 4th, 2009, 12:00 AM
Kodithegirl's Avatar Super Mommy
That's the worst. When my son was born, my grandma heard his name and responded by saying, "oh well you have 6 months to change that."

We just re-worked everything! Completely new fabric options, Slings, 6 new bedding options, Custom vinyl wall decals, and much much more!! $5 off for any justmommies.com forum members!!

December 4th, 2009, 06:11 AM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
my mom has been doing that. She even sent me an email with name suggestions after I told her our girls name was set in stone (she hates the name - thinks it sound celebrity babyish...whatever that means)
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
December 4th, 2009, 06:51 AM
Amanda C's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
B/c of that we won't be sharing the name until it's already on the birth certificate. Some people are just so clue less.

December 4th, 2009, 07:16 AM
Max n Meghan's Mom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
With Max my MIL sent me a list of "better" middle names because James didn't "mean" anything to "our family". With Meghan, she poked fun because after googling she found out that a previous American Idol person's name was Megan Joy....she didn't even say her middle name on the show and beside who cares!?!

Thank you for my beautiful siggy, *Kiliki*!Visit My Blog

December 4th, 2009, 07:52 AM
amazing_love's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I haven't had any of that yet. But we also haven't really chosen a name yet. (We're pretty much waiting until we find out the gender). What makes people think they have a right to tell you what you should name your child?! That's crazy to me!

December 4th, 2009, 08:08 AM
JaxonsMom2010's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We had similar issues when we named our youngest. We got a lot of grief about the name Jeremiah. So this time, we are choosing not to tell anyone what the baby's name is.

Try not to let people get to you. In the end, you are the parent. If you like it, then that is all that matters.

December 4th, 2009, 08:13 AM
Love_the_Shoes's Avatar Love my girls!!
That's why we aren't really telling family her name. My family is NASTY and cruel and LOVE to pick on me...I know they will have something to say about the name "Alyssa".

I told my friend, who is really blunt and honest the name we picked and she sat there and instead of saying "Aw, that's nice", she sat in silence for 5 mins. and thought of all the nasty nicknames people could say w/her name, and she came up with none. It was her way of saying "Good job"...lol, always nice to have an honest/blunt girlfriend in your circle, lol.

December 4th, 2009, 08:54 AM
~Claudia~'s Avatar mommy to Nico & Seba
some people... I know a pregnant girl that is expecting a boy and was going to name him Justice, I don't like the name but I didn't speak my mind.. not my child.. but I guess many people did say something because she ended up switching to Jullian..
December 4th, 2009, 09:00 AM
becker206's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
oh i know.. isn't that so annoying?

December 4th, 2009, 09:07 AM
Veteran
I can't stand when people do this either! My mother-in-law did this to us when I was pregnant for my son, but didn't know the gender yet. She didn't like the girl name we picked out at the time, and actually made a "gagging" face. It ended up being a boy anyway, so she couldn't say anything after that.

This time we're having a girl and everyone seems to like the first name (Sophia), but I'm getting lots of opinions on the middle name. That's why I haven't settled on one yet, but no one will know what it is until after she's born.

Expecting #2
EDD 4/16/2010
December 4th, 2009, 09:12 AM
Shelli1981's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Shelli1981
Oh I know exactly what you Mean.. I texted my Sis the other night and told her The Name I chosen for my Daughter and she commented back that her BF said Ewww About the Name.. W T F Excuse me hes not my daughters father so I really dont give a Dayum what he thinks... Then After that she had the Nerve to tell me that I better get my Tubes tied after I give birth.. OMFG Are you kidding me Just because you gave up after your third one and got your tubes tied and I'm Pregnant with #4 Dont get Pissy with me.. Oh and now shes trying to get a Tubal Reversal Cause She wants to have a Child with her Current BF.. Sorry My Hormones are getting to me

December 4th, 2009, 09:12 AM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
I'm sorry! I got comments when trying to find Lily's name. I originally wanted to name her Josephine and told several people. My friends weren't rude about it but they also told me that they weren't a fan of it. My mom said "Don't do that to a child. That's a horrible name." DH didn't like the name either but was fine with it as her middle name. So we decided to not tell our family her final name until she was born because we didn't want to hear the nasty comments. I'm sure my parents thought Liliana Josephine was such a bizarre name but they refrained from the rude remarks because it was already on the birth certificate. This time I think we may end up with Charlotte Georgiana so we are keeping our mouths shut again.
December 4th, 2009, 10:22 AM
Mega Super Mommy
LOL thanks for the comments girls. I do have to add that with mine and dh's families, they don't care even when it's on a birth certificate, they tell us we can legally have it changed. It was my MIL who made the comment last night that I posted. I ended up telling her that the babies name WILL be Chloe Tabatha and that we are not budging and she said " oh... well whatever you name her will work out. People don't use their middle names too often anyways."

LOL my DH is awesome, he said F em he doesn't care

December 4th, 2009, 11:08 AM
Jannell's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oh gosh my MIL is the worst! She doesn't really like me so she disses on every name we likes. Esp. if she knows I picked it. Gosh I am lucky she lives three states away and have my husband on my side about names! But yes it is annoying. It is like you can name your baby whatever you would like but this baby isn't yours!!!
December 4th, 2009, 11:21 AM
crystal22's Avatar Veteran
A lot of people have had comments about us naming our little one Zeppelin Michael, my grandma said he will get made fun of and then one of my friends was like he is going to have to live with it the rest of his life and I told her that I was sick of people being negative about his name and I didn't care what anyone thought that was the name. My other friend didn't even say anything to me she said it to my sister while we were having thanksgiving and I was just like whatever it made me mad at first but at this point we've already decided on the name and some people are already getting personalized things for him!
December 4th, 2009, 11:32 AM
Kittynoah's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yeah - I can sympathize. THat is why we are telling no one the name until it is on the birth certificate. When they carry the baby for 9 months and pay for the child, they can name it!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search