Let's talk breast pumps

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 4th, 2009, 12:55 PM
amazing_love's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
For BTDT moms who chose to breastfeed, what kind of breast pump did you use and how much did you like it?

For first time mommies, which one are you going to get and why?

I remember people saying something about the Medela double electric breast pump. I've read a lot of awesome reviews online and it sounds great. However it's also really expensive. It's $330 at Babies R Us. I might be able to find a new one on ebay for less, but still am not sure if it's worth buying a breastpump for $200-300.

I need some opinions and personal experience. Is it worth it or are there pumps out there that are just as good for a lower price?

..... After looking a little more i also found this one:
Medela Pump In Style Advanced Backpack - Medela - Babies "R" Us

This is the $330 one:
Medela Pump In Style® Advanced Double Electric Breastpump - The Metro Bag™ - Medela - Babies "R" Us

Is the only difference between the two the accessories it comes with and the bag? Is it the same pump? I'm a little confused as you can see. lol.

Last edited by amazing_love; December 4th, 2009 at 01:05 PM.
December 4th, 2009, 01:09 PM
TeamNick's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I love, love, love the Medela pump in style.

I can not recommend it enough. It worked perfect. I had a place to store my milk, it was super efficient. Loved everything about it. Another bonus to the pump is for long car trips. I was able to pump while DH was driving and the just hand DD the bottle when I was done. Didn't have to stop to feed her.

About the cost remember you are going to be saving a LOT of money breastfeeding. Formula is super expensive. If you are planning to BF'd for any length of time you will make up the initial cost of the pump.

We always kept on can of formula at daycare for emergencies. In case I forgot to buy milk. So we spent about 16 bucks a MONTH on formula. I know my friends who only formula feed were spend 30 dollars a WEEK on formula. It really does add up quickly.

Yup is is the same pump different bag.

Here is is at target for 279

Medela Pump In Style Breast Pump with Shoulder Bag : Target

Mommy to Evie and Isla Marie

December 4th, 2009, 01:12 PM
dbarney's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have the Medela Pump in style and the Lansinosh double electric. For me tey both worked great but I i loved the Lansinosh more. My milk didn't come in very well and just wouldn't let down so that one just sucked harder without hurting so much.

December 4th, 2009, 01:36 PM
Barbara, i like the shoulder bag you posted more than the backpack. I looked on Babies R Us and it's the same price as Target. My mom thinks i should wait to buy this kind of stuff until after my baby shower but i'm going to need so much stuff. The pump is 20% off right now so it seems like it might be worth it.

December 4th, 2009, 01:48 PM
If you are going to buy a pump I would get it whenever you see it on sale.

Unless, someone is telling you they are going to buy you a big ticket item they most likely would not think to get you the pump. The other option is to see if you get gift cards for your shower you can apply those to the pump you chose.

Lastly, I got a used pump. I got mine from my Aunt. They will tell you to never get a use pump because they aren't sterile. However, for me I would let my Aunt give blood to my baby, I would use her milk if I couldn't make any, etc so I really didn't have a problem using her pump.

If you feel that way about anyone you know that has a pump that could be an option.

December 4th, 2009, 01:48 PM
esli232's Avatar Veteran
I used the Medela pump in style. At first, I just rented the hospital grade one from the hospital because, as a first time mom, I wasn't sure how it would go. It is definietly worth the money to get a good double electric pump, but I would have been disappointed to spend that much money if nursing hadn't worked out for me for whatever reason. I guess it would depend on how determined you are to breastfeed no matter what....

Oh, and I did LOVE my pump

December 4th, 2009, 01:50 PM
sandpaper06's Avatar Mom of 3 darlings
I have the Pump In Style shoulder bag. I found it at a garage sale brand new for about $120. Totally worth it in my opinion. FWIW, I rented a hospital grade pump for a month since I was pumping exclusively and I had a note from the doctor to make insurance pay for it. But, the next month I was still exclusively pumping and didn't really notice a difference.

I keep checking out Craigslist for new pumps just to see if someone is willing to sell theirs (new) for cheap. Mine has been used as an "exclusively pumping" pump for 8 months so far and I'm afraid it might putter out on me...hasn't though and still works like new.
Caroline - November '12

December 4th, 2009, 04:39 PM
lilflower
I had a Medela Manual Pump. If you are planning on staying at home with the baby, you really don't need anything more than a bottle or 2 if you decide to go out. I think a manual pump is only like 20 dollars....I only used it probably 4 times all together and I breastfeed for over a year.
December 4th, 2009, 04:58 PM
Super Mommy
Stopping in from May DDC and wanted to let you know that Burlingtons Baby Depot is having 25% off all Medela prducts through December 20! I got the pump in style for $70 off!
December 4th, 2009, 05:05 PM
Wow that is a great deal.

December 4th, 2009, 05:05 PM
jen*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I used the Medela PIS -- it really does work well. A friend let me borrow her pump too so that I had one at school and one at home. That way I didn't have to lug it back and forth all day since I pumped twice at school but once at home in the a.m. since I had such a big supply after Jack started sleeping through the night that I did not need to nurse on both sides in the morning. Anyway, that was kind of random, but I guess the point is that I used a used one, too, and all was fine for me.
December 4th, 2009, 06:55 PM
Kittynoah's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am getting a used one from my sister. Not sure what type, but I know it is electric and double and small enough to carry to work.

December 4th, 2009, 07:00 PM
peaches84's Avatar Super Mommy
I just got the medela in style metro bag on ebay still new in box for 200.00 + 16.00 shipping. originally this one is $330 I went back and forth and read reviews and decided that it was worth the expense because I knew I was going to buy a pump anyway and hopefully this won't be our last child so it would be used more often. so I figured why not get one that the reviews seemed great. I was also told to wait with this but I wanted to spread some of the expense out instead of buying everything in a few months.

6/15/13
December 5th, 2009, 04:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristad View Post
Stopping in from May DDC and wanted to let you know that Burlingtons Baby Depot is having 25% off all Medela prducts through December 20! I got the pump in style for $70 off!
Thanks for the info! I ended up going to burlington and buying one today

December 5th, 2009, 05:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamNick View Post

Lastly, I got a used pump. I got mine from my Aunt. They will tell you to never get a use pump because they aren't sterile. However, for me I would let my Aunt give blood to my baby, I would use her milk if I couldn't make any, etc so I really didn't have a problem using her pump.

If you feel that way about anyone you know that has a pump that could be an option.
Me too! My sister is giving me her pump. She said I should get new hoses, but I haven't looked into that yet. I pick it up in a few weeks - I can't wait!
December 5th, 2009, 06:07 PM
Shantastic27's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Also, check with your insurance and see if they will pay for a portion of it. I need a script from my doc to take to a medical equipment place and my insurance will cover up to $250 dollars of the cost.

Just in case you hadn't thought about it...I know I certainly hadn't til I called my insurance to see what my maternity benefits are.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search