How much money?

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 5th, 2009, 10:45 AM
Super Mommy
How much money are you thinking you'll need to get all the baby gear, clothes, etc before the baby's born?

It's only December and we've already spent almost $700 and most things I've bought were from clearance sales and thrift stores. I still need a couple big items and many more clothes. And cloth diapers which is another several hundred dollars. I'm not anticipating too much help from the baby shower, as most people like to gift outfits and smaller toys.

I can't believe how fast this is adding up. I'm estimating about $1500-1800 total before baby's here. Ouch. And that's just before she's born. Thank goodness I shouldn't have hospital expenses.

December 5th, 2009, 11:46 AM
Meganpixel's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
i have no idea. I have spent around 300.00- we have a crib and a new dresser. I am antisipating like $1000.00.

Luckily we get a bonus and tax refund in early next year.
December 5th, 2009, 11:50 AM
Kodithegirl's Avatar Super Mommy
With this one, I doubt we will top $250 before she gets here. I need all new bottles and fabric to make her bedding, as well as girl clothes. We should be pretty much covered on everything else.

I know with DS, though, we probably topped out around $2000.

We just re-worked everything! Completely new fabric options, Slings, 6 new bedding options, Custom vinyl wall decals, and much much more!! $5 off for any justmommies.com forum members!!

December 5th, 2009, 12:07 PM
amazing_love's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ha, i have absolutely no idea. For one thing, we started buying baby items before we got pregnant and haven't added it all up. It would be impossible to do so now. We still have most of the big things to buy like furniture, a stroller, car seat, etc. And our medical expenses will end up being a lot too. Good thing we planned it out and have a baby savings for a lot of it, if need be.

December 5th, 2009, 12:18 PM
frankie's Avatar Proud Mommy
This was a very interesting thread!! I am having a baby shower and I am sure I will get the stuff I need.. But I figure its going to cost me a bundle between a full nursery set (crib, armoire, dresser etc) I won't put any of that one the registry because I want a matching set and something different.. plus I have to paint the room decorate it.. I think most people put rocking chairs in the baby room so they can rock with the baby but dh wants a lazy boy ( but the baby is going to stay in our room which we both agree with..but I don't want a lazy boy in the baby's room thats argument waiting to happen lol we have 2 lazy boys if dh wants to rock him go in the tv room)

So now I have to question if i am spending to much or is it because this is my first?

trying for~~~Commitment leads to action. Action brings your dream closer~~~~ Marcia Wieder
December 5th, 2009, 12:40 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Ugh i have no clue! I'm hoping to get most "gear" as at the shower and then i anticipate the nursery costing around 750+ (the crib we like is 250, dresser 250, then bedding etc). Actually i added up my registry the other day and it was around 1500.. so say i got no gifts it would probably be around 3k? (adding in clothes cost)

This is our first though so we really do need everything.

December 5th, 2009, 01:53 PM
Meganpixel's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
we found a used dresser on craigs list for $40.00 and its beautiful! its an antique and is a price of good solid wood. It was such a great find.
December 5th, 2009, 01:54 PM
Max n Meghan's Mom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
If I got everything I wanted (including a new bed for Max) it's be around $700. But that also includes a new bouncy seat and gym even though we already have one. Really I only have to have a new bed for either Max or Meghan and some clothes. The rest is just things that would make it easier or extras (like pink sheets instead of the blue we have for the pack and play).

Thank you for my beautiful siggy, *Kiliki*!Visit My Blog

December 5th, 2009, 01:55 PM
Super Mommy
Yeah, my problem is that we didn't have ANYTHING baby. Our youngest kid is 8.
December 5th, 2009, 02:30 PM
~Claudia~'s Avatar mommy to Nico & Seba
This time around we are pretty much covered because DS is only 14 months old and this baby will use most of the same stuff. But this thread got me thinking how much it cost all the gear for DS and it is insane!

The furniture for the nursery was $1300
Car seat $250 (got it on sale reduced from $330)
Stroller $150 (got it on sale reduced from $300)

I am sure if I add clothes, bottles, etc etc I spent close to $3000
December 5th, 2009, 02:38 PM
becker206's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well for us it depends on if it's a boy or a girl, which we will find out on the 15th. If it is a girl we won't have to buy much at all since we have saved all of Lydia's clothes. But regardless we do need a new car seat and a double stroller. I also have a few extra items I'd like that aren't really essentials but I'd just like to have them. So if it's a boy I am expecting $500-$1000. Girl probably $500.

December 5th, 2009, 02:38 PM
sarah*'s Avatar Loving My Piglets
the only thing we have bought is a pram it cost me 220 ($440 roughly) and we still have all the clothes to buy, i need a new sterilizer, bottles, and other little things, if i did not have stuff from my girls it would be much more expensive

Sarah (27) married to Stuart (31)
together for 10.5 years married for 4.5 years.
mummy too....
Ryleigh (8yrs - April 24th 2006)
Rhianna (7yrs - June 7th 2007)
Lacey (6yrs - June 5th 2008)
Lucas (4yrs - April 26th 2010)
Connor (1yrs - February 15th 2013)

December 5th, 2009, 03:02 PM
Kittynoah's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am hoping to get a lot at my shower - I know my sister did. My aunt and uncle are giving us their crib (it was only used about 6 times by their grandaughters). But I have spent about 200 on maternity clothes and I know I will have to pick up things that I don't get at the showers.

December 5th, 2009, 03:24 PM
Katie81's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Not too much actually. My parents already bought the pack and play, stroller, car seat, and swing for us because our previous set was girly print. We already have a bouncy seat, breast pump, bottles, and a Britax convertible car seat from DD. I spent about $400 on all the crib bedding and nursery decor, but besides that all that is left in the crib and changing table and I'm thinking one of the grandparents will buy that. Our biggest expense will be hospital copays and what I spend on clothes
December 5th, 2009, 04:50 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Not much besides the $3000 for the home birth really. Most everything that Lily had (gear, clothes, etc) can be reused for this baby. I am buying more clothes anyway though. I probably spend close to $100-200 a month on clothes for Lily and about half that now for the new baby since they'll grow quickly the first few months and still have some of Lily's clothes. I like certain brands though so I spend more.

December 5th, 2009, 05:01 PM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
Probably about 300$ and thats only because I'm indulging myself in some new gear. Everything else is hand me down.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
December 5th, 2009, 06:37 PM
sandpaper06's Avatar Mom of 3 darlings
The only thing I really need is a good double stroller. I love hand-me downs!

I got my sister's old crib (different sisters for each baby) so I don't have to move DS out of his crib at 15 months. My older sister had a baby girl in June, so most of the clothes will be from her. My SIL has an almost 3 year old girl, and is going to let us use her bedding. Again, we're borrowing a bassinet for our room, since the pack n play won't fit with our new furniture. Our old furniture is going in the nursery. I'm not huge on matching furniture when everything works well already.

So far, I've spent about $5, for two new outfits that I couldn't pass up. Our biggest expenses will be once she outgrows the infant carseat and needs her own new carseats, and of course any medical expenses. And a baby bjorn or other wrap/sling thing.
Caroline - November '12

December 5th, 2009, 07:14 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Well a lot of things we have already from Miki (crib/toddler bed, high chair, stroller and clothes) and BD's cousin gave us some things such as a bassinet and bouncer. I'm pretty sure I'll get a lot or most of the things that I will put on my registry. I anticipate to spend about $700. So far I've spent about $40. I'm hoping to maybe do cloth diapering and pump to avoid the cost of formula and diapers.
December 5th, 2009, 09:03 PM
mylene169's Avatar Kaija and Kolbie's Mommy
Send a message via AIM to mylene169 Send a message via Yahoo to mylene169
I really have no idea how much we'll spend. Probably not a ton before baby is born. Although I'll be nursing as long as possible, we'll still get new bottles. I have a pump already, but am not anticipating that going well since it went horribly last time. We'll see! We need a new bouncy seat but that's about it for gear. If baby is a boy we'll have to redo the nursery completely. If baby is a girl we'll sort of have to redo the room. Our big expense will likely be redoing the guest room into Kaija's new room.
December 6th, 2009, 05:41 AM
homeschooling mom of 2
More then I want to add up LOL We're not expecting any gifts other then the $1K my IL's are giving us towards her furniture, maybe a couple outfits or something (small family, no baby shower as we're out of state). My DD will be 6 when the baby is born so I didn't have much saved besides a cosleeper and clothing.
furniture (crib, dresser/changer, hutch for future) -$1200
still need a framed large mirror for over the dresser while it's used as a changer
custom made covers for my glider -$135 (new cushions would have been $300)
custom blanket & burp cloths-$55
quickzip sheets to get me started-$125
the stroller I'm planning is $360
carseat & extra base likely another $150
bottles ? (never used them before)
monitor $140
101 smaller items like heater as the nursery gets cold, humidifier, diaper pail, hamper, decorations, new lamps, rub, curtains, curtain rod, changing pad & covers, swaddling blankets, clothing
bigger things like swing, bouncy seat, pack 'n play, exersaucer, floor gym, jogging stroller, carriers/slings, diaper bag, etc

Really just your choice in items/brands and your thriftyness (all new and expensive items, or used/borrowed) can make such a huge difference... crib prices alone you could spend easily over a thousand just for the crib or under $100... strollers are the same way.

I'm spending far more even though this is my 2nd simply because we're quite a bit older, and have a much larger income so we can afford it this time where as last time I did lots of ebay and craigslist shopping and family/friends gave us more.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search