Diaper genie vs. Diaper champ

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 15th, 2010, 11:21 AM
amazing_love's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Which is better? If you've had one or both of these at some point in time, i'd like your opinion. I've heard negative things about the diaper genie and that the diaper champ is better...

January 15th, 2010, 11:48 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I have the diaper champ.

I kept it in the twins room when they were really little and put both pee and poop in there. I didn't notice a smell until they got older and poops got stinkier. Now I just put the poops outside but I still have a diaper champ in the house for pee diapers and it doesn't smell.

I like that I can use regular kitchen trash bags in the diaper champ. That was the selling point for me.

[/COLOR]Nathan(6), Reagan(6), Riley(5), Kaycee(3)

Our Blog

January 15th, 2010, 12:05 PM
dbarney's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
WE also have the Diaper champ. Just like she said you can use reg trash bags and it saves so much more money. We put both poopy and pee diapers in there but we also put fabric sheets in the bottom of the bag to help with smell.

January 15th, 2010, 12:14 PM
esli232's Avatar Veteran
Honestly, I never used either. We just used plastic shopping bags and took them out alot. In the beginning though, breastfed baby poo doesn't really smell

January 15th, 2010, 12:22 PM
AK Mom's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by esli232 View Post
Honestly, I never used either. We just used plastic shopping bags and took them out alot. In the beginning though, breastfed baby poo doesn't really smell
Me too. If I do anything special this time it will be buying those little blue scented bags. I will probably just use those when I am out of the house though. Otherwise I will just take the trash out often.

January 15th, 2010, 12:34 PM
~Claudia~'s Avatar mommy to Nico & Seba
I have the diaper champ and only used it for a couple months. It did smell some imho and you had to use a special mask when emptying it! lol

I use the regular trash now that I take out every other day.
January 15th, 2010, 12:43 PM
lilflower
I never used one. I used the regular trashcan. Or took them straight out if it was too bad.
January 15th, 2010, 02:05 PM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
We had the champ a loooooong time ago, prior to using cloth diapers. We liked it but it really did smell awful. But I think thats sposies in general.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
January 15th, 2010, 02:34 PM
MichelleN's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We have a diaper genie 2. They aren't too bad (we've been using the same 1 for 2 years), but you do have to buy bag refills. And it does get stinky as the child gets older because their poops become stinker with solid foods. We make sure to spray the genie with lyesol when we change the bag out (a refill lasts quite awhile). So it's not too bad really.
January 15th, 2010, 03:27 PM
CuteName's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It's been so long for me...lol. I used the Diaper Genie (original one) with my kids and I really liked it. It was a bit of a pain when they got older and I stopped using it when they and thier loads got bigger.

I registered for the Diaper Genie Elite this time and will probably use it, but only if someone buys it for me.
January 15th, 2010, 03:59 PM
ChrissySTL's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
A friend of mine has the diaper champ and I think she is happy with it. She got it because she wanted to use regular sized trash bags, which is a good selling point. I was registering at BRU and was trying to decide on which to go with and there were 2 different people there who saw me struggling and told they had the diaper genie elite and they were in love with it. Call me easily swayed, but I decided to regsiter for the diaper genie elite. I'm sure they both work pretty good and like everyone else seemed to say, once they get a little older and their diapers are smellier, probably neither will be perfect.

Thank you MeganPixel for surprising me with this super cute siggy-you rock!

January 15th, 2010, 05:32 PM
ashleyjo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
lurking from dec-- we have the diaper champ and i love it!! it doesn't stink.. i spray the bottom with febreeze every time i change the bag, which is once a week.. no smell escapes and it's not that terrible when i take the bag out either.. seriously love my diaper champ!!

January 15th, 2010, 06:07 PM
k8liz311's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Loved our diaper champ. I needed something enclosed because my dog loves diapers. You can use regular trash bags so that was the biggest selling point. Never really stunk.. just changing the trash does. But that's normal.

January 15th, 2010, 07:00 PM
mylene169's Avatar Kaija and Kolbie's Mommy
Send a message via AIM to mylene169 Send a message via Yahoo to mylene169
We have a Diaper Champ and love that we could just use regular garbage bags with it. Yeah, it did get rank after a while. We also found that after DD got to about size 3 diapers it filled up so fast we were emptying it ever couple of days and the bags weren't even full really and we switched to a regular garbage can. We'll use it again for the little diapers though.
January 15th, 2010, 08:14 PM
becker206's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have a diaper genie I and a diaper genie II. I love the diaper genie II.

January 16th, 2010, 05:05 AM
homeschooling mom of 2
neither, I used 2 of these (one on each floor) with DD which 6yrs later I still use as trash cans, and just bought another for the baby's room. Amazon.com: Diaper Dekor Plus Diaper Disposal System: Health & Personal Care
January 16th, 2010, 10:22 AM
DondraB's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I didn't use one. We just put pee diapers in the trash....take them out twice a week....and for poop diapers we have those scented little bags (from $1 store) and we'll take them out (ok I toss them in the garage and DH takes them out when he gets home lol) each time Kinley poops....we'll do the same with karsyn

January 16th, 2010, 11:04 AM
jen*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Champ - still use it and my Jack is almost 2. Good idea about the dryer sheets, b/c it is stinky when you change it and while we do use lysol, I think dryer sheets would smell better.
January 16th, 2010, 01:30 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
I used neither. We used this one:
Safety 1st Easy Saver Diaper Pail - Safety 1st - Babies "R" Us
I loved it! It uses regular trash bags and has a little place for air freshener discs to keep smell contained. When it's full with toddler poop, yes it will smell a little but not bad.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search