Registry questions (BTDT moms!)

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 15th, 2010, 11:57 AM
amazing_love's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm starting my baby registry and there are so many options it's a little overwhelming. I don't want to get things that i won't use. Here are some things i'm wondering about.

Bottle warmers- Is there a point to getting one?

Baby bath tubs- I know a lot of you said you never used it and it just took up space. Would something like this be worth getting... Munchkin Inflatable Yellow Duck Tub - Munchkin - Babies "R" Us I thought maybe it would be better since it deflates?

I already have a swing. Do i need a bouncer as well?

Bumbo seat- Babies seem to either love or hate them. Should i get one now or skip it?

Diapers- What size of diapers should i put on my registry? Some people say NOT to put NB because they usually don't fit the baby long.. how true is this?

Is there anything that you would say to definitely put on the registry?

Last edited by amazing_love; January 15th, 2010 at 12:00 PM.
January 15th, 2010, 12:11 PM
KasieH's Avatar Super Mommy
Bottle warmers - never used them

Baby bath tubs - never used one

Bouncers - used it all the time for both kids

Never had a Bumbo with my others but I want one this time.

It is hard to say about diapers. You just can't tell how big they will be when they are born and how fast they will grow. If I had to choose, I would pick size 1 and 2. It seemed like we used those sizes for a long time.

In my opinion, you cannot have too many burp rags. I would put that on my list if I were making one. if you have a dishwasher, make sure you get one of those baskets that hold the bottle parts. I have ruined so many nipples because they would fall to the bottom of the dishwasher and melt.

January 15th, 2010, 12:22 PM
esli232's Avatar Veteran
Bottle/wipe warmers- never used them

Baby bath tubs- had one and hated it. What I liked were those cheap mesh seats that just sit on the bottom of the tub. Helps hold the baby up and doesn't take up so much space.

Bouncer- was a MUST for my first. He actually hated the swing and we used the bouncer until he could sit on his own. It was FABULOUS! I actually had 3 (home, office, and my mom's)

Bumbo- had one and didn't really use it much

Diapers- well most people don't have the size of baby that I seem to grow, so I'm not sure. We could never use NB diapers and he was only in size 1s for a few weeks. BUT, I had a big diaper/wipe shower and it was really easy to exchange for the right size or brand. None of them went to waste. I'm not sure about the exchange process of the places you are registering, but I didn't have any trouble.

I agree about the burp rags. In the beginning we went through MANY burp rags and onsies (of course, we had a reflux baby). I would also register for the meds (gas drops, tylenol, ect.)

January 15th, 2010, 12:54 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Bottle warmers- Never used bottles here so wasn't an issue

Baby bath tubs- We used a baby tub and it was ok because I could bathe her on the counter instead of in the tub or sink, but it's not a necessity

I already have a swing. Do i need a bouncer as well? Lily loved her bouncer and her swing, so I'd say get both. She really loved her Fisher Price Rainforest Jumperoo as she got older (4mo+) as well

Bumbo seat- We never had one

Diapers- We used cloth, but we did get one case of NB size from people and it worked on Lily just fine (7lbs, 6oz at birth).

Is there anything that you would say to definitely put on the registry? I found that waterproof crib pads and waterproof changing table pads came in handy. You can just fold one up in your diaper bag if you need to and you can lie one down over your changing table cover so if baby pees on it you don't have to wash the whole cover. Plus, if baby leaks through onto the crib pad you don't have to remove the sheets, you just remove the pad and put a new one down

January 15th, 2010, 01:30 PM
Amanda C's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Bottle Warmers- Never used one

Baby Bath Tubs- I have a safety first one that's plastic and folds into 3 pieces. I love it! It's very convenient

Bouncer- I definitely recommend a bouncer

Bumbo- Never had one. I've heard mixed reviews on them.

Diapers- If you're going to buy them in advance get size 1 and 2.

January 15th, 2010, 02:00 PM
LIZZYI's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
love this thread, thanks ladies!
January 15th, 2010, 05:54 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Bottle Warmers- Had one, used it for the twins but really a pain. I did the ready made refrigerated formula for the twins and that had to be in the frig after it was opened. But with Riley I just did room temp breast milk or I used room temp water to mix with powder formula.

Baby Bath Tubs- I really like the one we have with the mesh sling

Bouncer- I definitely recommend a bouncer too

Bumbo
- Had them, could live without it. Maybe keep it off the registry and a get a used one on craigslist later if you want to try one

Diapers- I'd go with 1 & 2 for the registry. By a jumbo pack of NB yourself

Sleepers with zippers - I don't like sleepers with snaps. You have a fussy baby and trying to snap 10 snaps and down the legs, you are bound to miss a snap and screw it up and have to start all over. Zippers are so much easier.

Soothie Pacis I think these are the regular pacis that hospitals give unless you specifically ask for a different one (or don't want pacis at all). All 3 of my newborns refused every other kind of paci except the green newborn soothies. They switched to other brands later.

Things I don't think are necessary are wipe warmers & bottle sanitizers.

[/COLOR]Nathan(6), Reagan(6), Riley(5), Kaycee(3)

Our Blog

January 15th, 2010, 06:39 PM
CuteName's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Bottle warmers- Is there a point to getting one? I've never used one and won't this time either. Doesn't mean they aren't good though.

Baby bath tubs- I like baby bath tubs. Bathing baby on the counter is easier and everyone else can help out too.

I already have a swing. Do i need a bouncer as well? My kids hated the bouncer and the swing. I'm probably going to try them again with this baby though.

Bumbo seat- I didn't know what those were until my neighbor had her baby in one sitting out by the pool while the older kids were swimming and her daughter LOVED it. She was so content sitting in it and playing with her toys. I might try one, but you won't need it for a while yet.

Diapers- My babies have been under 7 pounds so I've always bought a few packs of newborn diapers. The size 1 will usually fit, but leak if the baby is under 8 pounds...depending on the brand. I plan of buying a few of each size NB, 1 & 2 for now.

Is there anything that you would say to definitely put on the registry? Burp cloths! Recieving blankets for swaddling.
January 15th, 2010, 06:41 PM
fibigrey's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to fibigrey
lets see.. I loved my bouncy chair, and used it more than my swing! (no batteries, etc) I am going to get a car bottle warmer this time around, but I've heard mixed reviews on them.. Really the car is all I needed a warmer for, because it was a pain to find someplace to warm them...

I used my baby bathtub, and am buying another one this time around too.. There is one that folds up.. you can even get mesh type ones that are very compact that go right in the tub.. When DS got old enough to sit up, I got a circular one that hooked to the side of the tub, that he could sit in and play.. Some "experts" say not to use these because babies can slip under them or something (i didn't pay too much attention) but you should never, EVER leave a baby unattend in the tub anyways... I loved loved LOVED it and am going to use it again for sure!!

You definitly don't need ALOT of newborn diapers.. Especially if you have a bigger baby (over 7 pounds) my son only fit in them for a week or two (he was 7lbs 14ounces at birth).. You know they outgrow them when they start leaking quickly (especially at night) or they get tight around the thighs, etc.. I am not registering diapers, I am going to just leave a note on there reminding people not to forget about diapers, and wipes, and to get a range of sizes..

I would definitly say to make sure you get recieving blankets.. you can use these as burp cloths, or even get burp cloths too.. Flannel always worked best for me!

Don't forget to register for baby care products too, like wash, lotion, diaper rash cream, infants motrin/tylenol, mylecon gas drops, etc...The best diaper rash cream I found was A&D, the original ointment, not CREAM.. It smells a bit funny, but I swear it works better than ANYTHING!!

I never used those new swaddle things..the blankets that come to pre-swaddle an infant, I always used a recieving blanket to swaddle.. you may not like to swaddle your baby, its all prefence, but I really liked to swaddle mine (as he liked it too)

I'd suggest a nursing pillow, whether you breastfeed or not, it helps to keep the baby at an angle when you feed them so that they're not laying flat!!

thats about all I can think of for now
January 15th, 2010, 08:20 PM
becker206's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Bottle warmers - NOT the travel kind, none of them work. Do get a good warmer that will warm bottles and baby food. I used mine all the time.

Baby bath tubs - I bathed baby in our little bathroom sink, she fit in it perfectly and it was so much faster than filling the tub. We did start using a baby bath after she grew out of the sink though.

Bouncers - YES! You need both a swing and a bouncer, both were a must for us.

Bumboo - We loved ours and used it a lot, it's perfect for babies that are starting to eat solids but are too small yet for a big high chair.

Diapers - We used a LOT of newborn sized diapers. I had a small baby and she still is small, 2 years old and only in size 3 diapers. I would by one pack of newborn and one pack of 1's. Then stock up after you know for sure.

January 15th, 2010, 09:12 PM
amazing_love's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thanks ladies! It's really SO helpful!

January 16th, 2010, 07:44 AM
Max n Meghan's Mom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have that bath tub (it was a gift) and I hated it. When they're tiny, there's nothing to support the baby. It's hard to wash a tiny baby that can't support themselves while you're trying to keep them upright. Once they're big enough to sit by themselves, the space seems almsot too small. And at that point, you might as well let them use a regular tub and just not fill it much.

It's also HUGE. If I put it in my bathtub it takes up 3/4 of the tub.

That said, it is cute and Max got a kick out of the quacking beak.

I also had a pretty basic tub for him that was ok. But this time I plan on getting one like this and just putting it in the regular tub.

Walmart.com: Summer Infant - Deluxe Baby Bather, Pink: Health & Safety

Thank you for my beautiful siggy, *Kiliki*!Visit My Blog

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search