Bathing your baby

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 15th, 2010, 12:02 PM
AK Mom's Avatar Super Mommy
I am not sure if this has been discussed before or not.

I was just watching something on TV where the people were appalled that a parent would bath with their small child. I am just wondering what y'all think about this.

When my kids were very young, I would shower with them. I am not someone who likes to take baths, so I would lay a towel down in the bottom of the tub and put the baby on it while I washed my hair and all. Then I would pick them up and wash their hair and get them all cleaned up.
I have never hard trouble with them having water poured on their heads like I have seen some kids have. I tend to think this is because they have always taken showers so it is not uncomfortable to them now.

What are your thoughts?

January 15th, 2010, 12:06 PM
krissy1989's Avatar is loving her two boys!
Well, I wouldn't be comfortable bathing with my child past the age of 1.5 years. Before that, I don't see any problem. But our shower is too powerful to lay the baby in the bottom of the tub; the water spray would hurt his eyes and skin if it hit him from that distance, so that's not an option for me. I don't take baths, either, so I guess I won't actually be bathing with him, either. lol

LoveLove
Love
LUV LOVE YOU!!
January 15th, 2010, 12:11 PM
dbarney's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Call me a bad parent but DS takes a shower with DH all the time. I don't for the fact that he's to curious. He does take baths on his own but it saves time and water to just up him him with DH.

January 15th, 2010, 12:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarney View Post
Call me a bad parent but DS takes a shower with DH all the time. I don't for the fact that he's to curious. He does take baths on his own but it saves time and water to just up him him with DH.
I agree that it is a time/water saver. I cannot see for the life of me what it hurts. I do believe there is a cutoff point, but that is on down the road.

January 15th, 2010, 12:36 PM
emmabear's Avatar Super Mommy
what do you think the cutoff point is?

my DF showers with his son and daughter, who are 7 and 5. they also sleep in bed with us every night they are here. i feel like they're pushing the age limit on those things, but i know he wants to coddle them a bit because of the divorce.

what do you guys think? too old?

Emily

www.themodernmommy.com
January 15th, 2010, 12:41 PM
Love_the_Shoes's Avatar Love my girls!!
I can't wait until I can hold my baby and have the warm water hitting her back and soothing her while I sing to her. I feel like it will be such a bond. I don't understand what the conflict would be to shower w/your kids? Seriously, if there is a reason for not doing it, I'd like to hear b/c I would never know what's politically correct. Since I'm havnig a girl, I see nothing wrong w/her and mommy saving time/water...if we have another girl, I don't see anything wrong w/putting both of them in a bath together. I think it's healthy and shows a good body image..not to be ashamed or anything. Obviously when she's older, she will probably want her own space...I don't know what the cut-off is (haven't read that far in any of my books, lol)..but when she's 2,3,4 I don't see anything wrong with it...but she's probably going to want to play in the bath w/her toys...I don't take baths..so showers might be boring for her..who knows.

If we ever have a son it might be different for me and him..but I have no idea on that..I'm just happy I'm having a girl, lol

lilflower
I bathed with my DD (whether bath or shower) until she was *almost* 4. That being said, I don't know if it is personally acceptable for me for her dad to take a shower with her. I think 5 and 7 are a bit too old, but if it's the same sex then it's not a big deal either way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmabear View Post
what do you think the cutoff point is?

my DF showers with his son and daughter, who are 7 and 5. they also sleep in bed with us every night they are here. i feel like they're pushing the age limit on those things, but i know he wants to coddle them a bit because of the divorce.

what do you guys think? too old?
TeamNick's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I take baths/showers with Evie. :shrug

If we are short on time I grab Evie and bring her in the shower with me. When she was real little we would bath together. Nursing in the bathtub is a great way to calm a baby down.

I will stop when it makes me or her uncomfortable.

Mommy to Evie and Isla Marie

January 15th, 2010, 12:44 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I think age-wise it's a personal decision for your family. I'd be fine with Lily showering with DH now (she's 17 months) but I think past age 2 I would want her only with me.

Lily used to take baths with me sometimes but she'd get really slippery. She usually takes showers with me every night though now. I put a towel down on the shower floor and dump all her bath toys out. She plays and I get cleaned up (and I block most of the spray from her). Then I wash her up and let her splash a bit and we are done. It's so much easier then bending over to wash her in the tub on her own.

January 15th, 2010, 12:48 PM
My DD is 7 and DS is 6 and they shower alone (I don't even have to wash their hair for them). For us, the cutoff point was probably about 5 or so. I think it is different for each family. When they started asking questions about things I answered their questions and then stopped the family showers, but that is just me.

January 15th, 2010, 12:50 PM
J-V221's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Gosh I remember growing up and taking showers with my mom or just being in the bathroom with her at the same time. My dad on the other hand no way, and I'm not sure if him and my brother did as he was older than me. I don't see a problem with taking a shower or bath with my LO (boy or girl) and when the child does get older (if its the opposite gender) I'm sure my DH will do the same with him.
January 15th, 2010, 12:59 PM
lilflower
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-V221 View Post
Gosh I remember growing up and taking showers with my mom or just being in the bathroom with her at the same time. My dad on the other hand no way, and I'm not sure if him and my brother did as he was older than me. I don't see a problem with taking a shower or bath with my LO (boy or girl) and when the child does get older (if its the opposite gender) I'm sure my DH will do the same with him.
Kind of ditto to this. I was in the bathroom with my mom a lot and even when I started taking showers on my own she'd come and talk to me and keep me occupied. I loved it. I wouldn't be comfortable with anyone of the opposite sex including her daddy to be in there with her though. Lots of bad things can happen if kids go to school repeating that they take showers with the parent of opposite sex when they are more than just "babies".
January 15th, 2010, 01:10 PM
sarah*'s Avatar Loving My Piglets
The last time i had a bath with rhianna she was 24 months old and i last bathed with lacey when she was about 12 months old, but that is only because the girls bath together now and enjoy it on there own, if i am in the bath and one of the girls come in and want to come in and then i let them in with me! i dont have any problem bathing with my kids, i used to bath with my mum all the time even at the age of 7/8 i did not see anything wrong with it!

On the other hand i never used to bath with my dad and my brother never used to bath with my mum so i would not bath with Lucas past 2 when he comes but if he want to bath with his dad then ok, and stuart does not bath with the girls now either!

Sarah (27) married to Stuart (31)
together for 10.5 years married for 4.5 years.
mummy too....
Ryleigh (8yrs - April 24th 2006)
Rhianna (7yrs - June 7th 2007)
Lacey (6yrs - June 5th 2008)
Lucas (4yrs - April 26th 2010)
Connor (1yrs - February 15th 2013)

January 15th, 2010, 01:23 PM
CanadianLou's Avatar Laura - mom of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamNick View Post
I will stop when it makes me or her uncomfortable.
This is the same road I have taken. Dh stopped taking baths/shower with DD when she was about 2 or so, but that was because he was uncomfortable, but she didn't seem to notice anything. Heck I took a shower with DD last week because we were pressed for time. She is almost 7. I don't think in our house hold it's a big deal. When I am taking a bath/shower I leave the door open and DH and DD come in to use the bathroom or ask me questions and vice versa for them.

Also about being nude, if DH gets out of the shower and DD barges in, he doesn't make a spectical of it, he doesn't even get annoyed or jump to cover up. But it's not like we just laze around our house nude KWIM? DD has seen both of us nude (probably me more than her dad)...and she doesn't act any different to us than when we are clothed.

But over I agree that it is different for every house hold. I know for me I really didn't want nudness to seem so taboo, or to be ashamed of our bodies etc.

Thank you Meganpixel for the most fantastic siggy!

January 15th, 2010, 01:26 PM
Amanda C's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I occasionally shower with DD. It makes it much easier to wash her hair.

January 15th, 2010, 01:30 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
Lily's 2 and I still shower with her once a week. It's convenient and it makes her laugh. I don't think my mom ever showered with me or my sister, but I don't have a problem with it for now. Lily will also run into the bathroom while DH is showering to say hi. I know that there will need to be a cut off on this somewhat soon but she's not really aware of bodily differences yet. It will be easy once we put her in her new room upstairs in a few weeks with her own bathroom instead of being downstairs next to our bathroom.
January 15th, 2010, 01:35 PM
Blondie3412's Avatar My baby monkey.....
We sometimes take "family showers". What I mean by this is my DF and I occasionally shower together, and 90% of the time when we do, we bring our 2 year old in too. I don't see the big deal. I bathed with my older kids until they became way too curious.. LOL... usually by about 5 or 6. And by then they knew how to shower by themselves so it was no biggie...

January 15th, 2010, 01:48 PM
JaxonsMom2010's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I showered with my sons until they were about 2-2 1/2. When they started sitting up, I used a bath seat that I would put at the back of the shower. I showered with dd until she was about 4 or 5. My husband never showered with any of the kids. He barely lets me in there (he is a water hog anyways). Mostly because he gets very nasty and dirty where he works. The shower gets gross very quickly.

I agree with everyone else-it's a personal decision. I used to nurse my youngest while showering and even bathing. At times, it was the only way to soothe him.

January 15th, 2010, 02:03 PM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
I still shower with my 5 year old son at times, and my 3.5 year old daughter still showers with Chris. none of us are uncomfortable with it yet so we aren't going to make a big deal about it.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
January 15th, 2010, 02:18 PM
ca_dawson's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't think its a big deal, but probably won't do it. I have to have my baths and showers super hot, like almost scalding so I think its way too hot for a baby or child (heck DH can hardly stand how hot it is so we don't even shower that often together because for him to stand it its far too cold for me!) I do think that when curiosity gets the best of kids its probably a good cut off time. I don't think DH will shower with her either. He grew up very modest and doesn't even like for me to see him nude, so I think it will be a comfort thing for him. To each their own I say! Every family is different so its whatever works for the family.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search