Should I be concerned that I still can sleep on my back?

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 16th, 2010, 06:33 AM
Love_the_Shoes's Avatar Love my girls!!
I can still sleep on my back--no problems...I say I sleep 50% on my back at night, the other 50 I try to sleep on my left. I have no problems w/breathing, or lung compression.

I thought this late in pregnancy it's almost impossible for a pregnant woman to sleep on her back? Why can I? I forgot to ask my OB last week at my appt.

Is there anything wrong w/sleeping on my back? I've always been a back sleeper and my hips are in constant pain so it hurts to put pressure on them when I sleep on my side.

I just wish I'd grow more..my belly hasn't grown for weeks. I can still shave my legs w/o any problems. Then last week they said I'm measuring a week behind...it just makes me a little uneasy. I really hope Aly is growing on track. I can't believe they don't do more measurements in pregnancy.

January 16th, 2010, 06:41 AM
Mega Super Mommy
You should be trying not to sleep on your back as much as possible. I guess it puts pressure on a blood vessel that gets oxygen to the baby. So even if you have no problems breathing the baby might. I can still sleep on my back I just try not to. Sometimes I prop a pillow under one of my hips so that if I do end up rolling on my back in the night then at least im not laying flat on my back.

Thanks Claire for my awesome siggy!!

January 16th, 2010, 06:43 AM
AlexasMomma's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to AlexasMomma
I looked it up online because I am a back sleeper to and it says pretty much as long as your comfortable its fine and yes there is a risk to the baby clamping on something in there but if that happens your body knows it and will change positions cause the uterus can clamps off some vein and cause shortness of breath and discomfort ect and will wake you up or you wont even be able to fall asleep/sleep on your back so I still do it

Thanks ashypoo03 for my gorgeous siggy!!

January 16th, 2010, 06:55 AM
mylene169's Avatar Kaija and Kolbie's Mommy
Send a message via AIM to mylene169 Send a message via Yahoo to mylene169
I still end up on my back too. Melissa pretty much hit on why you shouldn't. But your body "knows" when you need to move, so there's little worry really.

Remember that even if you're measuring small/big, every person and baby grows differently. Last week you were 1 week behind, next week you might be 2 weeks ahead.
January 16th, 2010, 07:23 AM
sweatshirtgirl's Avatar Super Mommy
I don't do it b/c then I would think every weird pain or cramp was b/c I slept on my back, lol. But that's just me b/c I worry too much! It happened the other night. I was actually in my recliner, so not technically flat, but woke up with horrible pain and freaked out til it went away!

I know what I read says you shouldn't sleep on your back but if you wake up and find that you were, don't worry, it's ok. And I think you'd hear alot more warnings from your OB if it really caused harm. With that said, I'd probably try to switch now to your side before you do get huge and CAN'T sleep on your back. I know I started side sleeping around 16 weeks and my hips actually got used to the pain after a while so it's pretty comfy now.

I do notice I'm not as comfy if I do end up on my back in between rolling over now.

Visit my etsy store! http://www.etsy.com/shop/drurylanedesigns
January 16th, 2010, 07:38 AM
ChrissySTL's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I too still sleep on my back at times. Like you, I knew docs said you shouldn't be, but I figured if it was a problem my body would tell me. I have been trying to sleep on my side and am actually going out to get a body pillow today so that it is more comfortable to do so. I am a stomach sleeper and didn't stop sleeping on my stomach till I was about 21 weeks b.c it was still comfortable and my doctor said it was fine. Now, if I roll onto my stomach for any reason the baby almost always kicks, it is so funny! It's like he is saying hey mom, give me some room!

But like the rest of the girls said, don't worry about it. It probably is a good idea to switch to always sleeping on your side now just so you don't bother the baby, but if you do wake up on your back I don't think it is a huge deal, just roll oer and go back to sleep.

I feel like I have not grown much in the last few weeks either. People always tell me I am small and it gets annoying! When I was measured last time (the first time he measured me) I was exactly 27 weeks. I measured 26 and he didn't tell me I was behind, he said it is normal to be your #of weeks, plus or minus 1 week. Weren't you just one week behind? I'm sure everything is fine. I worry to so I feel your pain, but I'm sure you will feel better after you go to the doc. again. Who knows, like someone else said, maybe next time you go you will be ahead a week!!!

Thank you MeganPixel for surprising me with this super cute siggy-you rock!

January 16th, 2010, 07:46 AM
Ponyo22's Avatar Lindsay
I just asked my midwife about this yesterday. I prefer to sleep on my back, too. She says it's fine, but I should try to put a pillow or rolled-up towel behind my back on one side so one hip is slightly elevated at least. She's like, "We're not asking pregnant women to tie themselves to the bed at night!" I found that sleeping on my side with a pillow between my legs is pretty comfortable for me too at this point.

She also said sleeping on my stomach is fine and poses no risk to the baby. So I say do what makes you comfortable. Just be careful if your legs go numb if you're lying flat on your back. That could be a sign that your circulation is being compromised.
January 16th, 2010, 10:17 AM
DondraB's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I try not to sleep on my back-just so baby gets enough oxygen...I do notice that when I'm on my back, Karsyn starts going crazy...pushing her head/butt out on one side...so I notice it affects her. For that reason I don't sleep on my back..if I wake up on my back I roll to one side.

January 16th, 2010, 11:10 AM
lilflower
I still sleep on my back most of the time. Poses no threat unless the vessel is compressed. And you will know if it gets compressed. It causes pain in your legs and back, shortness of breath, and even chest pain. As long as you are comfortable it is safe still
January 16th, 2010, 11:57 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Most doctors/midwives say to try to stop sleeping on your back after 28 weeks IF you notice you get short of breath or baby is moving a lot (seems uncomfortable) while you are in that position. Otherwise, it is okay.

I sleep on my back still, especially now that I have a cold it is more comfortable then being on my side. I just prop about 3 pillows up under my head so I'm almost in a sitting position and I'm fine.

January 16th, 2010, 02:04 PM
krissy1989's Avatar is loving her two boys!
I've really, REALLY tried getting used to sleeping on my side. I've been doing so since 16 weeks. I've been pretty good about it, too, even though it leaves me feeling in pain and achy and makes my insomnia worse. But I figure if it's for the baby, then I'll just keep at it. I still wake up on my back about 50% of the time, though. I try to prop something behind my back, but since that's usually DH and he leaves at 4 in the morning, I guess I just roll over. lol

LoveLove
Love
LUV LOVE YOU!!
January 16th, 2010, 07:45 PM
Ponyo22's Avatar Lindsay
Quote:
Originally Posted by krissy1989 View Post
I try to prop something behind my back, but since that's usually DH and he leaves at 4 in the morning, I guess I just roll over. lol
HAHAHA

That's how it works with us, too! I can stay off my back as long as my husband is pinned behind me. He says all my tossing and turning keeps him up for a few hours until he is just plain exhausted then he can finally sleep. Poor guy, I almost feel bad. Almost.
January 17th, 2010, 06:39 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I sleep however is comfortable---side, back, whatever. Your body will tell you if it's a bad idea.

I can still sleep on my back fairly comfortably.

January 17th, 2010, 07:54 AM
fibigrey's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to fibigrey
I still end up on my back too sometimes, but can only stay that way for a very short time (less than 1 hour i'd say) because it gives me contractions if my bladder is full (which is like all the time when i'm in bed).. I am so sick of sleeping on my sides, and can't wait for the day that I will be able to dive into bed on my STOMACH! *dreams*
January 17th, 2010, 08:48 AM
Love_the_Shoes's Avatar Love my girls!!
Last night I tried to sleep on my side more..had a slew of pillows around me...Matt was practically falling off the bed between me, the 10 pillows and our two cats. BUT I didn't sleep on my back as much...but thanks for the info..I was trying to find this info in my preg. books but they don't talk about sleeping positions.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search