Why does everyone keep saying how SMALL I am?!?!

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 16th, 2010, 05:13 PM
krissy1989's Avatar is loving her two boys!
Seriously, every person who comments on my growing belly or my pregnancy says at sometime throughout the conversation, "Oh, you're popping out just a little," or, "Well, you're not very big," or, "Well you're showing just a little bit, aren't you?" or the worst, "I couldn't even tell!"

Like, WTH? I feel HUGE! Almost all these comments come from BTDT moms. Don't they remember how big you're supposed to be for 6 months? I thought that I was right on target, if not showing a little more than usual. But people keep making comments about how "cute" and "small" I am. And, to be honest, it annoys the heck outta me. I've waited this long to finally look pregnant, and everyone keeps raining on my parade! Can't they just say something nice like, "Wow, you've really grown!" or "You're coming along nicely!" Just something like that...

Is this small for 6 months??? DH just took this picture for me:

I know that there are a lot of you ladies who are bigger than me and look absolutely beautifully pregnant, but I still look pregnant, I think, even if I'm not that big... I'll get there, though. I just keep telling myself that. Still...shouldn't people know that I WANT to be big? Why should they be such a downer?

LoveLove
Love
LUV LOVE YOU!!
January 16th, 2010, 05:20 PM
CuteName's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
You look like you should for 25 weeks. It's probably because you're wearing normal looking clothes and not maternity clothes that make pregnant women look huge.

I went to a consignment shop the other day and got some used maternity stuff and the lady was like "You don't look very big" But I think it was what I was wearing.

I guess maybe they're expecting you to look huge? Give it a couple more months and you will...lol.
January 16th, 2010, 05:25 PM
If I wear a maternity shirt---or any large shirt---then you can't really see my belly at all. That's why I like to wear form-fitting clothes, so that people can see my bump. I'm starting to think that maybe people just aren't impressed with pregnant women's growths until they're about to pop.

LoveLove
Love
LUV LOVE YOU!!

Last edited by krissy1989; January 16th, 2010 at 05:33 PM.
January 16th, 2010, 05:30 PM
Katie81's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It is your first baby so you are probably smaller than you will be at the same point in a subsequent pregnancy. I know I am huge right now compared to what I looked like at 26 weeks with Lily. Don't worry, in about 10 weeks no one will think you look small
January 16th, 2010, 05:32 PM
becker206's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have the opposite problem, and I hate it just as much... What!? Due in APRIL? No way, I don't think so. - What do you have twins in there? argh.....

January 16th, 2010, 05:40 PM
Racine's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think people think that's what you want to hear, they think they're being sweet by telling you how small you are.

Don't worry about people's comments, you look great!

Thank you, Meganpixel, for my awesome siggy!

January 16th, 2010, 06:14 PM
Shelli1981's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Shelli1981
I was at the Grocery Store and the Cashier asked me When I was Due and I said April 7th, She gave me a weird look and said are you Having Twins.. I'm Like Uh NO!!

January 16th, 2010, 06:31 PM
lilflower
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racine View Post
I think people think that's what you want to hear, they think they're being sweet by telling you how small you are.

Don't worry about people's comments, you look great!
Ditto to this!

Except in my case where I get accused of eating disorders and starving my baby.
January 16th, 2010, 07:02 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I think you definitely look pregnant! I think people think it is nicer to say how "small" you are, even if you aren't.

January 16th, 2010, 07:09 PM
Shantastic27's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Krissy, I so feel your pain! I think we have about the same size belly and people are always commenting that about me too. Someone said to me "you're 27 weeks....where is it???!!" (and looked at my belly). And THEN, about two days after this comment, I got a "you're due in April?? Wow, you're gonna be (and then gestured with her arms like I'm going to be huge)"

So, I'm trying not to let people's comments bug me, because they're completely inconsistent! I wish people would just keep comments to themselves unless they want to say something completely nice and neutral!

I understand your frustration, girl! But no worries, you look great!!

January 16th, 2010, 07:22 PM
mylene169's Avatar Kaija and Kolbie's Mommy
Send a message via AIM to mylene169 Send a message via Yahoo to mylene169
I think you look like you should! At this point I FEEL huge so when someone comments on how good I look or how small I look I feel sooo much better! I would agree that people are saying what they think you want to hear. No one wants to hear about how huge they look, kwim? (Even if that's what YOU really want)
January 16th, 2010, 07:37 PM
TeamNick's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
You look just like you are suppose too. That is how I looked during my first pregnancy.

Mommy to Evie and Isla Marie

January 16th, 2010, 07:50 PM
JBmom88's Avatar Super Mommy
You look great!! Right on track I think

January 16th, 2010, 07:55 PM
Love_the_Shoes's Avatar Love my girls!!
I think you look great hun...your belly looks like mine...I feel like my bump is small too and I get sad b/c just like you, I've waited FOREVER to be here. I want to rock a belly so bad...I want to waddle down the aisles of Target and go in for a pedicure and have everyone already sitting getting their nails done to look up and smile at me b/c they know I can't see my feet, hence having someone else paint my toes for me.

I'm going to stuff a couple of Alyssa's blankets under my shirt here soon.

January 16th, 2010, 08:00 PM
Thanks, ladies! You've made me feel better. I guess I just really got irked today, as if the last straw had been sprung, kwim? I was working, and this really nice old lady had been talking to me for a while as she waited for her takeout. After some idle conversation, she asked, "So when are you quitting?" I was pleased, because I thought she was referring to my pregnancy, even though I hadn't said anything about me being pregnant (so I was thinking, "Yay! Yet another person has recognized that I'm pregnant!), and I answer, "At the end of April. Well, actually I'm due at the end of April, so probably a little before that." And she goes, "Oh, you're pregnant?! I didn't know! I was asking because of how busy it is in here!" And then she goes on and on about how small I am, and how I'm not going to get very large, and how I look great, yadda yadda yadda. Basically, even though she was being really nice and complimenting me and saying things which SHOULD make any girl happy, I just couldn't help but be annoyed. I felt like my belly was just standing out there for everyone to see, and she looks right at it and pretends to see nothing. I mean, there's a BABY in there, y'know?? It's okay to comment on size!

And my mom's friend really bugged me the other day, because she had been saying to my mom that she didn't believe I was showing. So my mom (who of course thinks I look brilliantly pregnant) tells me to take off my coat and show her my big belly. I do so (and I'm already annoyed by this point), and her friend just kind of makes this face (she didn't even smile at all) and says, "Oh, well, she's got a little bump there. Not much. But she'll grow!" I'm thinking, "I've already grown A TON! Why can't anyone else see this, especially if they know how small I was before?!?!"

Ugh. Sorry. I didn't mean for that to turn into a ramble again.

LoveLove
Love
LUV LOVE YOU!!
January 16th, 2010, 08:09 PM
ChrissySTL's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Try not to take things people say to heart. I completely know how you feel though. In the past week 3 people I don't know told me I am sooo small for 27 weeks. It is so annoying and it is giving me a complex! You DEFINITELY look pregnant though, you look great!

Thank you MeganPixel for surprising me with this super cute siggy-you rock!

January 16th, 2010, 08:45 PM
mylene169's Avatar Kaija and Kolbie's Mommy
Send a message via AIM to mylene169 Send a message via Yahoo to mylene169
Also remember, you see yourself everyday so you REALLY notice the difference. The people who don't see you often - or ever - won't be so quick to notice.
January 16th, 2010, 09:36 PM
~Claudia~'s Avatar mommy to Nico & Seba
You DO look pregnant!

People perception is usually way off (both ways, lol, either you are too big or too small )
January 16th, 2010, 10:59 PM
becker206's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Tell me.. why is it people always comment on how small or how big!?! What is suppose to be just right!?!? Im confused....

January 16th, 2010, 11:14 PM
palmetto_moon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hun, you look perfectly pregnant. Your belly is just the right size for YOU.
Pregnant belliies look all different ways. Some carry smaller others carry larger. It isn't generally any indication of your baby's health. You look great! Some women aren't meant to get huge...others are big before the end of thier first trimester. It just depends on your individual body.
Next time someone makes an uncomfortable comment just say shortly and bluntly
"I'm just where I need to be"
or
"I'm the right size for baby and I" and hopefully they'll get the point to bud out!

Thank you Kiliki for my awesome siggy!

visit our family blog at www.stalkedbythestork.com

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search