Heart Palpitations?

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 17th, 2010, 09:51 AM
ChrissySTL's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Is anyone experiencing these? They seem to come out of nowhere for me, always when I am laying in bed, and then do away for a period of time but pop back in a few days/weeks later for a short visit. I remember we talked about this earlier on but is anyone experiencing this now?

I can't really tell if it is more of a shortness of breath thing due to the positioning of the baby, or what. I have read that heart palpitations in pregnancy are normal but it is kind of freaking me out! Am I alone in this?

Thank you MeganPixel for surprising me with this super cute siggy-you rock!

January 17th, 2010, 10:24 AM
mylene169's Avatar Kaija and Kolbie's Mommy
Send a message via AIM to mylene169 Send a message via Yahoo to mylene169
It is totally normal, you've got something like twice the blood flowing through your body right now that you normally would. I get them every once in a while and usually when I'm not even doing anything that would warrant them. With DD I had them a lot, especially at work when I was running around and busy.
January 17th, 2010, 10:38 AM
~Claudia~'s Avatar mommy to Nico & Seba
It happened to me last night, not fun! but completely normal
January 17th, 2010, 11:08 AM
Love_the_Shoes's Avatar Love my girls!!
Yes totally normal. Our hearts are working faster and pumping blood faster. It's crazy scary I know. I usually feel it when I have heartburn and when I'm resting. I try to lay on my left side and breath slowly in through my nose and exhale out through my mouth and think about Aly and how I can't wait to see her.

Try to elimate sugar and chocolates/junk food at night so you're not getting a "sugar rush" on top of it...that can cause even more heart palpations.

It's so scary I know...but just try and remember it's normal. However if you experience any chest pain call 911. My OB said that chest pain is not normal..a crushing pain, not normal.

And just something for all ladies to know (since I get horrible panic attacks w/anything relating to the heart, I have read up on a lot). But women say that when they had a heart attack, it felt like they were choking..like how sometimes when you eat and the food goes down the wrong pipe or liquids go down the wrong pipe..that feeling...apparently that is a very common feeling for when women are having heart attacks. One woman said she was sitting reading a book and all of a sudden, she got that feeling in her throat and was having a hard time swallowing and it felt like she was choking...just something to keep in the back of your mind.

January 17th, 2010, 01:17 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I get heart palpitations but I have an alternate pathway in my heart so it's something I'm used to (though still do not like, and it affects me worse when I'm pregnant).

My only advice would be, if an episode lasts a long time, it is worth talking to your doc about. I was told that if mine last a long time (sometimes I find it hard to stop them, particularly when pregnant), that my blood pressure drops and therefore so does the blood pressure to the baby etc.

Thanks to Meganpixel for my beautiful siggie!
January 17th, 2010, 02:47 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
Totally normal. I've gotten them since I was little, but they are more frequent when I'm pregnant. For me, I tend to do the same response as you would if you were about to faint. Sit down with your head between your knees, and breathe deeply and slowly. After a little bit, it goes back to normal.
January 17th, 2010, 09:50 PM
Thanks for all the info and advice. I understand the anxiety when it comes to heart issues. My dad passed away unexpectedly 10 years ago with heart related issues. My sisters and I all had to have extensive testing done to make sure none of us had what they thought he had at the time (we didn't, and it ended up what he did have was not hereditary after all) but anyway, since that I started to have a lot of anxiety related to unexpected death/heart attacks/sicknesses in general...I was a bit of a mess for a while. My mom took me to the ER one night b/c I thought I was dying...it turned out to be a panic attack but when they did the ekg on my heart they thought I had a slight case of mitral valve prolapse. So I went to a cardiologist who confirmed it through an echo. Long story short...one of the symptoms of MVP is palpitations. Since I dont drink caffeine or anything really sugary I hardly ever get those anymore so I thought it was a little odd when they started up recently...but pregnancy does many weird things to our bodies doesn't it?!

January 18th, 2010, 10:17 AM
CanadianLou's Avatar Laura - mom of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrissySTL View Post
Thanks for all the info and advice. I understand the anxiety when it comes to heart issues. My dad passed away unexpectedly 10 years ago with heart related issues. My sisters and I all had to have extensive testing done to make sure none of us had what they thought he had at the time

My dad died in 2001 at age 41 suddenly of heart related issues. They still don't know if it is hereditary (gf at the time refused autopsy), so I mentioned to my Dr about my heart palipations and she said she heard a bit of a murmer (which I guess is common in pregnant woman) but she set up and EKG and a Echo Cardiogram for Feb 1st, just to check everything out.

I also suffer from anxiety, panic etc, so she did say it's easy to get the two mixed up. I have ended up at the hospital or dr.'s office thinking it was a heart issue when it was anxiety/panic before, and my Dr. knows my history. I really hate the feeling of palipations though, it scares me.

Thank you Meganpixel for the most fantastic siggy!

January 18th, 2010, 02:59 PM
SerendipitysChild's Avatar Super Mommy
I had them with DD so bad that they did an echo cardiogram and hooked me up to a monitor that I had to wear for 48 hours. It turned out to be normal (My Dr. joked that I just had a "Lazy heart" that was having a hard time getting used to the extra fluid) Still, they were really uncomfortable and I was thankful that with this pregnancy I have only had them a few sporadic times!

Thank You Jaidynsmum for my fabulous fall siggy!
January 18th, 2010, 03:06 PM
I am glad your doc. is getting things checked out for you....you will feel so much better after that....I know I did after I got checked out! Sometimes I want to go back and get checked again but that is b/c I am a big worrier when it comes to stuff like that and it is not necessary. Hopefully everything goes smoothly, let us know!

January 18th, 2010, 03:09 PM
CanadianLou's Avatar Laura - mom of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrissySTL View Post
I am glad your doc. is getting things checked out for you....you will feel so much better after that....I know I did after I got checked out! Sometimes I want to go back and get checked again but that is b/c I am a big worrier when it comes to stuff like that and it is not necessary. Hopefully everything goes smoothly, let us know!
Thanks, I'll let you know. I go through a 'heart check' every year, but it's just usually a chest x-ray, blood work and an EKG, not an echo cardiogram. So far every year it has come back good, but I'll keep you updated on the Echo.

Thank you Meganpixel for the most fantastic siggy!

January 18th, 2010, 03:21 PM
Amanda C's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It's totally normal but if you already have a heart problem then I'd check with your OB just for peace of mind.

January 18th, 2010, 08:28 PM
ca_dawson's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm having them too. I get really short of breath and then the palpitations come afterwards. Most likely just my body trying to get back to normal after the shortness of breath episode. Luckily though I work for a cardiac monitoring company so whenever I start freaking out I just slap a heart monitor on and run an EKG to confirm I'm not dying! Heart related issues are so scary. And I see it all. I see people who swear they are dying come up perfectly normal and people who feel fine drop dead. So its always best to let the dr know just in case. Better safe and sound like a hypochondriac than sorry!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search