When do you start giving them baby food?

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 18th, 2010, 08:56 AM
amazing_love's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I really hope to be breastfeeding for the first year of my baby's life. I've heard a baby can live off breastmilk alone for that long. So would that mean i wait until they wean to give them other food or do I give them baby food at the same time as nursing? Or is it all about preference? I didn't put any infant spoons on my registry because i figured i wouldn't need them.

January 18th, 2010, 09:03 AM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
All about preferance really. A baby can have just breastmilk for the first year of life. If you do introduce solids your milk supply will decrease some.
January 18th, 2010, 09:05 AM
Katie81's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Generally cereals at around 4 months and baby food around 6 months. They start with finger foods at the 8-10 month range.

Oh, and yes, they continue to nurse or get formula until 12 months (or later if you continue nursing I guess,) and then you switch them to whole milk.
January 18th, 2010, 09:07 AM
TeamNick's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I breastfeed for the first year. This is what I did.

Breastmilk exclusively for the first 6 months. No water, juice, cereal. Just breastmilk.

After six months I started adding things slowly. So sometimes she would get water in a sippy, she tried bananas, avocados, cereal.
The majority of her nutrition still come from BM though. The food was more for her to enjoy and play with. If she wanted some we gave it to her, if she didn't we skipped it (or if I was to tired that day to do solid food).

At a year we started to get her on a solid food schedule. Breakfast, lunch and dinner

Mommy to Evie and Isla Marie

January 18th, 2010, 09:11 AM
dbarney's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
totally preference. With DS he was declared failure to thrive so at 3 months i was supplementing and giving cereal. Really I would have preferred to wait till 6 months to introduce things.

January 18th, 2010, 09:18 AM
onelove1109's Avatar Super Mommy
Im glad you asked this cus I have been wondering the same thing.

Thanks so much Jaidynsmum for my adorable siggy!

January 18th, 2010, 09:32 AM
mylene169's Avatar Kaija and Kolbie's Mommy
Send a message via AIM to mylene169 Send a message via Yahoo to mylene169
Yup, it's all about your preference. I bf'd and supplemented until 4 months then we started cereal along with bm and formula. We slowly added in other fruits and veggies until she'd tried them all and all allergies were ruled out. She did start teething VERY early (her first tooth was already in at her 4 month appointment) and I do admit to giving her rice husks at only 4.5-5 months old for her to teeth on. She didn't get any other finger foods or anything like that until 6 months old and she was sitting up on her own and had the ability to pick things up herself.
January 18th, 2010, 09:47 AM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
I didn't give my daughter solids until she was 15 months. She nursed exclusively until then, and couldn't tolerate solids (she'd choke and turn blue). My youngest didn't get solids until 10 months, and then it was just a taste.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
January 18th, 2010, 10:17 AM
fibigrey's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to fibigrey
With DS, my son was introduced to cereal at about 4 months. This was not my decision, my mother went ahead and did it without me even being there, BUT, it actually helped him sleep alot better at night, AND helped with his gas.. He started other foods (fruits veggies) at about 5-6 months..but continued to get formula until he was 12 months.. Really, I will introduce cereal probably when the baby seems like she just isn't satisfyed with milk alone anymore.. That will be my cue.
January 18th, 2010, 11:15 AM
becker206's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamNick View Post

Breastmilk exclusively for the first 6 months. No water, juice, cereal. Just breastmilk.

After six months I started adding things slowly. So sometimes she would get water in a sippy, she tried bananas, avocados, cereal.
The majority of her nutrition still come from BM though. The food was more for her to enjoy and play with. If she wanted some we gave it to her, if she didn't we skipped it (or if I was to tired that day to do solid food).

At a year we started to get her on a solid food schedule. Breakfast, lunch and dinner
This is exactly what we did as well.

January 18th, 2010, 12:13 PM
Amanda C's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie81 View Post
Generally cereals at around 4 months and baby food around 6 months. They start with finger foods at the 8-10 month range.

Oh, and yes, they continue to nurse or get formula until 12 months (or later if you continue nursing I guess,) and then you switch them to whole milk.
This is what I did also.

January 18th, 2010, 12:33 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
I introduced cereal at 4 months with Lily, and then veggies and fruits slowly after that. We waited much longer for finger foods since she didn't get her first tooth until she was 14 months old. We stuck with the puffs that disolved for the longest time. This time I'll probably wait until 6 months for cereal. It depends on your preference, but it also depends on when your child is physically ready. Four months is still pretty young to be able to try spoon feeding with some babies (their tongues will push the spoon out automatically).
January 18th, 2010, 01:28 PM
homeschooling mom of 2
I breastfeed exclusively for the first year, at around 6 months I did try to give her some cereals and veggies/fruits but her reflux went crazy and her ped suggested we wait longer so she was a year old before she started any sort of foods. I continued to nurse till she was 3 1/2 so you can nurse as long as your baby and you want, as they eat more food they will likely nurse a bit less (in theory, my little piggie never seemed to cut back).
January 18th, 2010, 02:17 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Most pedi's recommend not starting any solids (cereal or fruits/veggies) until 6 months now.

With Lily I exclusively breastfed (nursing only, no formula) until she was just over 6 months. Then I introduced a spoonful of mashed avocado. I never gave her cereal, it's not really that nutritious for them. It is low-allergen usually though and easy to digest which is why many start with it. So, I would nurse her mainly and introduce a new fruit or veggie every few days.

At 9 months old she started refusing any kind of pureed food and so I started giving her table food cut up super small. Breastmilk was still the main source of nutrition until she was over a year old though.

January 18th, 2010, 05:55 PM
jen*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My son was a BIG boy, so just after he turned 4 mos old, our NP at the peds office gave the green light for cereal & veggies/fruits. We continued that way throughout the summer and then in the fall, when he was about 7 mos old, we started with finger foods and jarred meals. I didn't notice a drop in my supply until about 10 months.

Not sure if I'll nurse as long this time around... we'll see, but I would probably do cereal again around the same time because Jack seemed to enjoy it
January 18th, 2010, 07:56 PM
DondraB's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Kinley was exclusively breastfed for a year (no milk, water, juice, etc) at 6 months I gave her baby cereal and oatmeal. After a few weeks of that I would add bananas (baby food) to her oatmeal, then she started eating more baby food...but she always nursed...every few hours throughout the day and night. Once she turned a year and a week I stopped nursing and she switched to whole milk. I did not give her any cereal in a bottle....some do....nor did her eating solids affect her nursing-she was a nursing pro-never had a drop of formula! I plan on doing the same with Karsyn....if she cooperates! lol

January 18th, 2010, 08:01 PM
ca_dawson's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm obviously a first timer here, but in nursing school we actually learned that you really shouldn't introduce solids until 6 months. In our pedi book it says that they their digestive tract can't fully break down the food until that time. So my plan is to hold off until at least 6 months.
January 19th, 2010, 06:15 AM
babymine's Avatar Veteran
I breastfed my son for 13 months, but at 4 or 5 months we introduced rice cereal...but that was after a breastfeed...because I saw it as practice and he was at that time going to get more nutrition and substance from breastmilk...mixed the rice cereal with a little breastmilk....and from then on slowly added a dab of carrot or peas into the mix for him to get aquired to the taste....after we kind of got the hang of it....i switched the order....food first then the breast.

I would breast feed him in the morning. about 2 hours later he'd get breakfast (rice cereal mixed with a fruit) and top off with breastmilk. 2 or 3 hours later...a vegetable with breast milk... 3 hours later...breast feed for a snack....around dinner....veggie or fruit....later Id introduce meats and top with breast feed. Something like that.
January 19th, 2010, 06:18 AM
JaxonsMom2010's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamNick View Post

I did the exact same thing with my youngest.

January 19th, 2010, 06:19 AM
CuteName's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Is it sad that I can't remember?? LOL

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search