Some questions about gift registry and baby showers. *Update #9*

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 19th, 2010, 03:35 AM
krissy1989's Avatar is loving her two boys!
Even while DH and I are going to fund the baby shower, I've decided to go ahead and hand the controls over to my mom and older sister. So, they're going to plan/host it...which I admit drives me crazy, since I love being in control of my life's events... (I planned our wedding.)

Anyway, my older sister says that I should make a gift registry already, which I know that I should, but I just don't feel like I know what I'm doing. My question is, how do I inform people that I have a registry already up and running? How are people going to know to even look for one in the first place, at the right store? It seems weird that I should inform people of this, almost as if I'm saying, "Oh, I have a list of things I want. Why don't you look at it and buy something?" LOL. So, are baby shower invites supposed to already be circulating? Is that how people find out about gift registries? Am I supposed to tell people about it, if I didn't get around to sending an invite yet? People keep asking...

And I intend on having the baby shower sometime near the beginning of April (my mom and sister are fine with that), so when should invites be sent out?

LoveLove
Love
LUV LOVE YOU!!

Last edited by krissy1989; January 21st, 2010 at 02:55 PM.
January 19th, 2010, 04:13 AM
Super Mommy
when we had my shower for my dd, we registered at babies r us and walmart and both gave me little slips to put into my invites. In Pennsylvania where my parents live, it is pretty standard to seeing this slips for wedding and baby showers. We sent out invites 4 weeks prior to the shower. Are you having your shower in april? Just do not cut it too close I had my shower in jan. and I was due in march. I wanted enough time to get things that people did not get me that I needed for the baby's arrival.

hope this answers some of yoru questions

January 19th, 2010, 04:47 AM
Do they mail you these slips if you set the registry up online from home?

And I might talk to them about having the shower in March, since you brought up a good point: I'm going to want time to buy the things that people didn't get me. Since I'm not due till the clear end of April, I figure I'll be okay (praying that I don't have preterm labor).

LoveLove
Love
LUV LOVE YOU!!
January 19th, 2010, 05:22 AM
Super Mommy
If they do not, you can always call or visit the store and ask for them. If not be creative and do a little slip that says: mom-to-be is registered at ___________ and ________ and due it in cute baby blue coloring (I believe you are having a boy ) and you can put like 20 of them on a sheet and just print them off and cut them out!

I know I would rather get someone something that they want/need then trying to guess and not get something they will use!

I would think about doing it in march b/c being 9 months pregnant you will be huge and not feeling like wanting to be on your feet long term, and hopefully nothing will come up that you will go early!! I would play it on the side of caution!

January 19th, 2010, 06:34 AM
homeschooling mom of 2
When we did mine for DD years ago I made/printed the invites myself and just noted on the bottom "Candi is registered at Target & Babies R US" in smaller writing. So yes, you should register now since people are already asking you and I'd say about a month before you want to have your shower you should send out the invites so people have time to make sure they are free and to RSVP.
January 19th, 2010, 07:16 AM
Platinum Supermommy
One of my baby showers is FEb 20th. My mom and sister is planning it. The invites will be sent out this week. So about 4 weeks.

I put on the invite "Registered at Target and Babies R Us". I sent it to people even those who I know will not attend but inquired about my registry.

Registering isnt that hard, esp since you can create one online and trust me, once you start, its like an addiction lol. Well at least it is for me.

And your registry is saying "Hey I'm having a baby, I want you guys to celebrate with me and I NEED these items listed on my registry!". Even though some of them are not a must, it lets people know what you need, dont need, have, and dont have. Or you can put "Gift cards are accepted but not required".
January 19th, 2010, 10:35 AM
mimi81's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Don't be afraid to register, or tell people where you registered, that's what they are for. Plus, for your guests it is easier to look at your registry to know what you want or need then to just guess. Then you will get lots of ddoubles and it can be hard to return or exchange if they are not on your registry.
One other thing, I would do it in person because a lot of the time they have things online that they do not carryin the store, and most won't order online, they will wait till the week before your shower and then shop so you want them to be able to get what you want.

[IMG][/IMG]

January 19th, 2010, 02:12 PM
Thanks, mimi, for pointing out the in-store/online difference! I wouldn't have thought of that!

Thanks everyone for your tips! I'll probably make my registry for Wal-Mart alone, unless I find something that I really want from another store.

LoveLove
Love
LUV LOVE YOU!!
January 21st, 2010, 02:54 PM
Okay, I finally made my baby registry at Wal-Mart today! I'm not sure whether or not I put all that I should have put, or if I put TOO much, or too little... It was hard trying to choose! Most of the items that are on the registry cost less than $20. But there are quite a few which cost much more than that... The most expensive item is a stroller for $160. Is that too much??? I know that DH's mom is inviting the women's group from her Korean church, and so I'm wondering if they'd rather go in together for a larger gift. I don't know, though... Is that presuming too much? Is that a bad gift registry item? Should I delete it?

Everything else I included (from cheapest to most expensive):
~diaper rash cream
~Winnie the Pooh baby photo album
~Lansinoh disposable nursing pads 60-count (quantity 2)
~underarm thermometer
~Winnie the Pooh pop-up hamper
~nursing privacy wrap
~baby bath
~Winnie the Pooh gift set (includes blanket and pillow)
~Playtex bottle gift set (bottles are supposed to work well with nursing mothers in case I need to pump)
~Pooh and Tigger full-sized diaper bag
~Winnie the Pooh musical mobile
~Evenflo BabyGo Glide infant carrier
~Johnson's bath gift set (shampoos, lotions, etc)
~Pamper's baby wipes tub and refill kit (512 count)
~newborn diapers (quantity 2)
~Playtex diaper genie toss can
~nursing/infant pillow
~highchair and buggy protective cover
~Johnson's baby relief kit
~diapers, sizes 3,4,5,6 (quantity 10)
~Winnie the Pooh 24-piece newborn's gift set (clothes)
~Winnie the Pooh Days of Hunny 4-piece crib set
~Winnie the Pooh high chair
~Winnie the Pooh Pack n' Play

Any suggestions? Or does that seem good enough?

LoveLove
Love
LUV LOVE YOU!!
January 21st, 2010, 03:05 PM
becker206's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
No the stroller is not too much, if it is something you need/want it should be on your registry no matter what the cost. People will buy for you what they want to buy, if they want to spend that much then that is an option for them.

I wouldn't worry to much about your registries, just make sure you have down all that you want and then don't give it another thought. When I had my baby shower for my daughter I think maybe 2 people bought things off my registry. Everyone else just bought what they wanted to!! It was pretty hard for me since.. we have registries for a reason and those are the things we NEED. So we ended up having to buy a ton of stuff ourselves anyway and ended up with a bunch of clothing from people at the shower that was too big. Almost everyone bought clothes!

January 21st, 2010, 03:13 PM
amazing_love's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't think there's anything wrong with having higher priced items on there, as long as there's lower ones as well. I put a few on just in case people wanted to go in on it together.

I don't know if you already have these items but here's what i don't see that i put on mine:
-Receiving blankets
-bibs
-towels, washcloths
-bouncer
-fitted sheets (for crib, changing table, and pack n play)
-waterproof pads (i got one for the crib and then multi purpose ones as well)
-bottle brush
-extra slip covers for boppy (assuming that's the nursing pillow you got)
-Pacifiers, pacifier clip
-Dishwasher baskets
-Sleep positioner
-cups, spoons, etc.
-Medela pump & save bags
-Infant monitor
-SwaddleMe's
-sleep sack

That's all i think... lol. Sorry if that's too long of a list but i figured i'd let you know what i put on just in case you missed something you wanted

January 21st, 2010, 03:23 PM
Thanks, Krista! I see several things from your list that I want to add!

And I'm sorry that your registry didn't work out for you, Shannon. That stinks! But my mom told me pretty much the same thing: That not a lot of people are actually going to even look at my gift registry. I hope that they do, though, because it would be good not to have to buy THAT much stuff. DH and I had planned on buying the stroller and crib, anyway, but I thought that I might as well see what I can get at the baby shower first. If we don't get the big-ticket items, then we'll already have money saved to buy them. But I'm hoping that we get at least things like the baby bath and some diapers. In fact, I wouldn't be upset if EVERYONE just got us diapers! That's one ongoing cost that I am NOT looking forward to over the next two or more years.

LoveLove
Love
LUV LOVE YOU!!
January 21st, 2010, 04:44 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
Krista's suggestions are really good ones to add to your registry. Don't worry about a $160 stroller. I had a co-worker register for a $400 stroller and $50 baby shoes. Really? As far as invitations, I told my shower planners where I was registered and they put an extra little tag in the envelopes to let the guests know about the registry. Otherwise, when people RSVP, your hostess can let them know. I had 2 showers (family and friends at one and co-workers at another), and most people bought stuff off our registry. It was pretty nice actually!
January 21st, 2010, 10:48 PM
My mom wants to have two showers (one for my family and one for DH's), but I just don't see how that would work, since DH and I are actually the ones funding it (I'm not planning it, though). I don't want us to have to pay for two showers when one will do. A decent amount of people are planning on showing up, and my mom is already inviting women without telling me, so I have no idea how many people will actually be there. Luckily, my older sister is letting me borrow the restaurant building she manages, so we should have plenty of seating, even if 35 people show up. It would be awesome if someone surprised us with that stroller!

LoveLove
Love
LUV LOVE YOU!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search