Moms working outside the house.....

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 19th, 2010, 08:10 AM
CanadianLou's Avatar Laura - mom of 3
When do you plan on working until??

I dont know if this has been talked about or not. But this morning and yesterday I have been so sore and achy and tired I just cannot understand how some women work right to the bitter end. I'm JUST turning 26 weeks. With DD I got put off of work at 25 or so weeks because my dr. wasn't a fan of women working so late into their pregnancy. Maybe it was a bunch of hormones, but this morning I started crying wondering how am I going to do this for another 14 weeks and it's only gonna get worse. I can't do anything comfortably that involves bending over and I am growing out of all my clothes.

I didn't really have a plan for when I was going to go off of work. If my dr. put me off on sick leave I'd take it, but if not, I was planning on trying to work as long as I can. Maybe I'm just having a bad day or two but I have no clue how I can make it even another 10 weeks. I think too because I was out of shape to begin with and over weight that probably doesn't help.

What is everyone else's plan?

Thank you Meganpixel for the most fantastic siggy!

January 19th, 2010, 08:25 AM
Super Mommy
With DD i worked until 39 weeks and I plan on doing the same for this one, unless something crazy occurs! I am a high school teacher

January 19th, 2010, 08:26 AM
renee4152's Avatar Proud Mommy of 2!
i have to work until the last minute unless the doctor makes me stop for some reason. i work for a small family company and don't really have anyone to take over my job for long. i don't even know how long i'll get for maternity leave. it definitely sucks b/c i really don't feel like working. with my daughter, i didn't work at the time, and she was a lot easier pregnancy than this one.
January 19th, 2010, 08:29 AM
..Penelope..'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oh my gosh Laura, I feel your pain! I could have cried this morning coming to work.

I submitted my request for maternity leave beginning three DAYS before Logan is due. WTH was I thinking?!

Ok, to be fair, I was thinking that I would get more time with Logan when he was born. And that's still really important to me. The only way I will end up going off early is if my doctor takes me off on disability. But it's getting harder every day to cope

Missing our angel baby since Feb 7, 2009

Visit
BeaMade for unique, adorable, high quality handmade crochet hats and booties, velcro free soother clips and soft sole baby boots.
January 19th, 2010, 08:37 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I plan on taking leave the day I go into labor. I dont do a lot of walking around at work (besides to the kitchen and bathroom). I thought about taking off a few days before my due date, but Idk when she's going to come so I'm just going to work it thru until I feel like I'm close to going into labor.

I only get 6 weeks of maternity leave. I'm not really trying to take too much time off b/c I she might not come until 41 weeks. I'm hoping for 38 or 39 weeks though.
January 19th, 2010, 08:40 AM
TeamNick's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I will work until the day before my scheduled c-section. I would rather take the time with Isla. Plus, my job isn't that stressful. If I was at home I would feel like I had to do something like clean or laundry. At worrk I get to hang out with my co-workers, mess around on the internet, etc.

Mommy to Evie and Isla Marie

January 19th, 2010, 08:45 AM
JaxonsMom2010's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am going to work until I go into labor. I work at a college and get Spring Break off which is roughly about 2 weeks before my due date. I generally have my babies 2-3 weeks early, so hopefully I won't have to go back after Spring Break. If that is the case, maybe I only have eight more weeks to work!!

January 19th, 2010, 08:52 AM
~Claudia~'s Avatar mommy to Nico & Seba
I will work until the day that I have to go to the hospital.

i did the same thing with DS. Went to work that morning and went to the hospital in the afternoon for an induction.

It is not easy but I rather spend the time off with the baby
January 19th, 2010, 08:54 AM
CanadianLou's Avatar Laura - mom of 3
Oh dear, you ladies are really putting the pressure on! LOL You are all working until the BITTER END. Penelope, I'm glad you're feeling my pain at least. hahaha!

I get a year maternity, however I too wanted most of the time to be for the baby, I am just wondering for my sanity (and so I don't cry every morning)...if I should go off a bit early. I don't know. We'll see.

I don't have to walk around too much at my work or anything. I get up at 5:30 am and don't arrive home until about 5:30 - 6pm and then we have our DD. Also I have to commute to work via transit and luckily it's been not too cold out. But I do find my work a bit stressful, but I've never been one to deal well with stress. I work at a big corporate law firm and there are lots of tight dead lines and lawyers needing EVEYTHING on a rush. I tend to be high strug, so I've walked out of there a few days with my blood pressure tipping the scales.

I think too it's the commute that I REALLY dread, I have to walk out in the cold and stand all the way to work because no one asks me if I want to sit. If I could drive to work it would be much better but Calgary's parking rates are amonst the highest in North America and I really cannot afford $20 - $40 dollars a day to park (if not more).

Ok, I'm gonna try to get off the complaining train now.

Thank you Meganpixel for the most fantastic siggy!

Last edited by CanadianLou; January 19th, 2010 at 08:57 AM.
January 19th, 2010, 08:56 AM
Love_the_Shoes's Avatar Love my girls!!
I hope to work until I go into labor too...I really, really, really want to use my time off w/Alyssa. I pray every night that I don't need to be put on bedrest or anything.

January 19th, 2010, 09:37 AM
..Penelope..'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Laura.

I take transit, as well. It makes so much more financial sense then paying for parking every day. And I have to fight SO hard not to feel bitter as I stand there while the university students stare at my big belly from their comfy seats. Normally, I wouldn't care, but standing makes my hips and back hurt, and my legs and feet swell.

People can be so stupid!!

Missing our angel baby since Feb 7, 2009

Visit
BeaMade for unique, adorable, high quality handmade crochet hats and booties, velcro free soother clips and soft sole baby boots.
January 19th, 2010, 09:45 AM
esli232's Avatar Veteran
I'll have to work until the day I deliver like I did last time. Since I am a small-business owner I kind of have to be here the majority of the time. I also came back full time 2 weeks post partum last time and I'll probably have to do the same again. It does suck, especially to come back so soon but I just have to think of all the perks of being my own boss I will be bringing baby to the office for the first few months though....

January 19th, 2010, 10:13 AM
mimi81's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm sticking it out till the end too. Might take a few days off before my due date (assuming I make it that far) but I also want to have as much time with baby as I can. I can't justify taking time off work with no baby unless the doctor says I have to, so I'm fighting through the pains to make it till then.

[IMG][/IMG]

January 19th, 2010, 11:28 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm working til I go into labor, but I'll probably work from home starting at week 39.

January 19th, 2010, 11:44 AM
Amanda C's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
With my last I worked until I went into labor. I dreaded it. I took off every chance I could get in between. Finally at 37weeks 3 days I couldn't take the pain anymore and told them that Friday of that week would be my last day.

I ended up going home that very night and going into labor so I didn't even make it to the end of my week.

((HUGS)) I do feel your pain. I was completely miserable last time and it took everything I had to drag myself into work everyday.

January 19th, 2010, 04:26 PM
DondraB's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am the manager of my parents' steakhouse/soda shoppe...all I do is ring up the tickets, manage the money and organize the schedule and deal with any behind the scenes problems. So I don't really have to leave my little corner unless I need to pee or get something to eat lol....not stressful at all! I'll be working until my csection......then I'll go back to work 2-3 weeks after baby is born (we are only open thurs/fri/sat) since its a family business-DH can bring karsyn up to see me and I can nurse her I really have the perfect job!

With Kinley I was due at the end of June and I stopped working in the middle of April...I worked at a shoe store and standing all day killed my swollen legs/feet!

January 19th, 2010, 04:37 PM
ChrissySTL's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I too plan to work until I go into labor. I teach kindergarten so unless I am having any medical issues I will be there until the end. I want to get paid for as many days off as possible without using them up before LO is here. I plan to have all of my sub plans done about a month before my due date that way I don't have to think about it when I am huge and tired and ready for him to be out! Everything will be ready for my sub. That being said, I truly believe everyone's pregnancy is different and affects them in different ways. I have been lucky and up until this point my only complaint has been sleeping at times.

Thank you MeganPixel for surprising me with this super cute siggy-you rock!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search