Question about bedding sets

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 19th, 2010, 07:18 AM
..Penelope..'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
How much do you actually use a bedding set? Are they mostly for looking at?

I'm wondering because they all seem really expensive for just 3 peices of bedding (in most of the sets that I've seen). Is just going with regular bedding an option?

Missing our angel baby since Feb 7, 2009

Visit
BeaMade for unique, adorable, high quality handmade crochet hats and booties, velcro free soother clips and soft sole baby boots.
January 19th, 2010, 07:54 AM
mylene169's Avatar Kaija and Kolbie's Mommy
Send a message via AIM to mylene169 Send a message via Yahoo to mylene169
I would agree that they are pretty expensive. With DD we registered for (and ended up getting) a pretty inexpensive set that had 4 pieces (bumper, sheet, skirt and quilt) and used it all. But we didn't get that until she was born. In my panic of not having anything for her we just went out and got a cheap bumper and sheet since we didn't know we'd be getting the set we registered for. The set is pretty neutral so we'll use it again for this baby but if we have a boy we'll need another inexpensive boy set since our extra set is hot pink gingham
January 19th, 2010, 08:04 AM
amazing_love's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We had decided against getting a bedding set but the theme we're now looking at isn't sold anywhere but online (from what i've seen). The only way to get most of the items is through the bedding set so we'll probably just buy it. It is expensive though.

January 19th, 2010, 08:05 AM
becker206's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I didn't do a bedding set for my DD and wont be for this baby either. I just got a nice white bumper (Carters) and sheets that match the room decor which is just baby pastels. Green, blue, pink and yellow.

January 19th, 2010, 08:25 AM
Shantastic27's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was planning on getting a bedding set, but ended up not because I heard that they don't really use the quilt, and I also decided I wanted a breathable bumper instead of the regular kind. So, I just got the bumper, a couple sets of sheets, and then a crib skirt...just mixed and matched and found some items that really work together. It saved me a lot of money too. I'm not really doing a theme for her bedroom though, mainly a color theme so that makes it easier. From what I've read they shouldn't have blankets in their cribs, so getting a matching blanket just seemed kind of pointless to me.

January 19th, 2010, 08:40 AM
mimi81's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
If you check different sites like overstock or amazon you can find 9-12 piece sets. I just got a 12 pc. set for $150 so all I'll need are some picture frames or shelves on the walls now. But I agree with you a 3 or 4 piece set is usually too expensive and you can't even use the quilt till they're much older.

[IMG][/IMG]

January 19th, 2010, 09:09 AM
..Penelope..'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thanks, ladies!

So if I don't get a set, what are all of the peices that I will need to buy seperately?

Missing our angel baby since Feb 7, 2009

Visit
BeaMade for unique, adorable, high quality handmade crochet hats and booties, velcro free soother clips and soft sole baby boots.
January 19th, 2010, 09:13 AM
homeschooling mom of 2
I got a big expensive set for my first DD and it was a total waste, besides the fact that she ended up co-sleeping we wouldn't have used the bumper or the comforter and really then what's the point.

With this baby I got a cute crib skirt, a breathable bumper (in pink of course), and I'm going to use the quickzip sheets so I got those. I also bought a few cute blankets and had one custom made with fabric to match my theme by a seller on etsy. Much cheaper and more useful.

So if you don't get a set you can get:
crib skirt if you like the look
soft blankets (mostly just for decoration or swaddling, remember no big cushy anything in crib with baby) or a pretty blanket to hang on the wall
sheets
I never used the diaper stacker thing but they do sell them seperately if you think you might
bumper if you want one, for safety reasons I went with one of the breathable ones.. if you use one at all or what type is again your choice.

All you really NEED is some sheets the rest is just what you like
January 19th, 2010, 09:15 AM
fibigrey's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to fibigrey
I think they're totally for looks! LOL.. You don't even have to have bumpers, because alot of "experts" say they pose a suffocation danger, and you can't even use the comforters until a child is older anyways, due to suffocation issues.. Really, all you need is a good firm mattress and a nicely fitted sheet..thats it!

And of course, if you do get a baby that is a wiggle worm and bonks themselves alot on the side of the crib, you can always invest in a bumper then, or even get a second hand bumper, for a decent price!
January 19th, 2010, 09:36 AM
peaches84's Avatar Super Mommy
I thought the same thing so I bought one at walmart for $50, the one that I originally wanted was 130 but decided that I didn't need to spend the extra money

6/15/13
January 19th, 2010, 09:45 AM
CuteName's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I did splurge on a $99 crib set this time around. I will never use the valance and probably not the diaper stacker either, but I just loved the set...mostly for the wall art that goes with it..lol.

The main three pieces I wouldn't live without would be the:
Bumper
Crib Sheet
Dust Ruffle (because it just makes the crib I selected look full on the bottom)

As far as the quilt goes, I have always used them for baby to play on the ground with, and when they get older it goes great on their toddler bed, and sometimes kids just like to have a "Blankie" when they get older.

January 19th, 2010, 10:07 AM
Kodithegirl's Avatar Super Mommy
I used every bit of my crib set on a daily basis, but then, DS never co-slept and I only changed diapers on the changing table. I can see how if you don't or don't plan to, it can be an unneeded expense. I used:

quilt
bumper
crib skirt
sheets
wall organizer
diaper stacker

We just re-worked everything! Completely new fabric options, Slings, 6 new bedding options, Custom vinyl wall decals, and much much more!! $5 off for any justmommies.com forum members!!

January 19th, 2010, 10:26 AM
Mega Super Mommy
With my first we bought an expensive bedding set and NEVER, not once did he use his comforter. We ended up putting it on the floor and letting him play on it just so it would get some use. This time we found a set we love and bought items seperately, but I don't think all sets are sold that way. We bought a bumper pad (which some don't use), 2 sets of sheets, and a crib skirt.

January 19th, 2010, 01:57 PM
niema's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to niema
Yep, it is definately just for looks and it gets us all the time. The bedding set I originally wanted was just under $99 but decided to go with one that was way cheaper. My baby wont be in the crib right away anyhow and will be sleeping in a bassinet next to my side of the bed. Im really just getting it for decorations.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search