had my appt today: GD, blood pressure and lots of venting...(sorry so long!)

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 19th, 2010, 12:50 PM
LisaBrown's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So, I haven't had much time for JM these days and it looks like I won't have much more time any day soon....sigh! Here's what's up with me at this point...

So last week I found out that I was borderline on the GD test and had to go in for a consult with the diabetic nutritionist. I went in on friday and she put me on a strict meal plan to try to avoid needing insulin since it is the only medication you can take if you develop GD. She gave me a glucose monitor that I have to use 4 times a day and told me I have to plan all my meals according to the portion plan she gave me (the problem wasn't what I was eating, but rather the combinations of foods at different times in the day) to make sure I'm combining the right foods together in the right amounts to have the best shot at controlling my glucose levels without medications. She also explained, and so did my doc tell me today, that even if I follow the plan 100%, there are no garantees because insulin is a hormone, and like all other hormones, it can go out of whack during pregnancy, and the placenta tends to absorb it, so even if I do my best, my body could still not be able to handle the load by itself and I may need insulin shots. So far the plan is working and my glucose levels are normal, so that's good. But I still hate that I have to plan and time my meals accordingly, write down everything I eat along with my 4 glucose readings every day and send her a report every week until I deliver...ugggh! It takes so much out of the little time I have for myself in a day!

The second thing is that my blood pressure was also borderline when I saw my doctor today, which it was perfect up until now. If I develop high blood pressure, especially with being borderline for GD I am at a higher risk for preclampsia, she will need to take me off work sooner than expected. The baby's HR was good and everything else seems ok, so that was the good news today. I need to monitor my blood pressure also for the next 2 weeks to see if this was just a fluke, or if it really is a problem.

So the risks of uncontrolled glucose levels are of me having a larger baby, but not larger in the head, only in the shoulders and body, making it more difficult to deliver vaginally. From 32 weeks on, I will have to have a weekly ultrasound (the only good part in all this!) done to make sure the baby is still growing well and not getting too big. They will have to induce me on my due date if I do not go into natural labor beforehand, also increasing the risk of me needing a c-section (which I really don't want!!!) GD babies also are at risk of getting stuck in the birth canal if a vaginal delivery is done, so that would bring on other issues and possibly cause worst complications for the baby and I such as going into distress, so they would need forceps or to go in by c-section...again, I hope I can avoid this! It is bad enough that I will be on IV antibiotics when I deliver because of a group b strep infection they found in my urine a few months ago.

To make things worst, I found out who my replacement at work will be...and of course, it's the exact person I hoped it wouldn't be! He taught at our school last year and the kids can't stand him and were wishing for anyone but him...and the cherry on top is that we have to work TOGETHER from the 1st of February until I leave because the school disctrict has him locked into a contract that they needed to break, so if they want him to take my place they need to fill in his contract from now until I go, so we will have to teach together, or else he would be payed to stay home while he waits for me to finish. I'm almost hoping I get put off work early so I won't have to spend 7 weeks with him!

So from now until the end, I will have different appts ALL THE TIME, at least 1 a week. Bye bye sick days! I just knew this pregnancy was too good to be true, I felt so good, and actually still do, compared to many women I've talked to who had a lot of pain, trouble sleeping, etc. I have none of that, but end up with a bunch of medical concerns instead. I know it could still be much worst, but it just all came up so quickly when I thought I'd be getting through this like a breeze. I guess I'm just a little overwhelmed right now, feeling a little stressed out. I wasn't ready for this to be over yet, but now I'm kind of thinking I am, and I feel really guilty saying that. A glass of wine would be a big help right now, but obviously that's not an option either!

Thanks for letting vent!

Last edited by LisaBrown; January 19th, 2010 at 05:50 PM.
January 19th, 2010, 12:57 PM
CanadianLou's Avatar Laura - mom of 3
Oh no, sorry to hear about glucose diet etc. You do sound SUPER busy. Hopefully the diet can keep everything perfect for you and you'll be able to deliver vaginally.

Thank you Meganpixel for the most fantastic siggy!

January 19th, 2010, 01:24 PM
niema's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to niema
Yikes! That sounds like so much to be worried about. I am really really praying that I pass. Im so sorry your dealing with this, it totally sucks. Im praying that you can keep everything in check by monitoring and eating right.
January 19th, 2010, 01:32 PM
krissy1989's Avatar is loving her two boys!
Sheesh! You've got your hands full!! That certainly sounds stressful, I can't deny that. You poor thing! Just try to stay strong through all this, and know that it isn't permanent. We've only got several weeks left till we're done with pregnancy, so the worst will come and go before you know it, and you'll soon be on maternity leave with your beautiful baby in your arms!

LoveLove
Love
LUV LOVE YOU!!
January 19th, 2010, 01:38 PM
J-V221's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
OMG! Hun I'm so sorry for all these things happening at the same time and even at all!! I hope that everything can get under control at least to a better level then what they are right now. Try not to stress (I know easier said then done right?) cause it's only going to make things worse with a high blood pressure. My T&P are with you, try to take it easy.
January 19th, 2010, 01:39 PM
renee4152's Avatar Proud Mommy of 2!
so sorry that you have to go through all of this. it's def enough to stress anyone out. hope all stays well and that you get to deliver how you want to.
January 19th, 2010, 02:54 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
You do have a lot going on! Try not to stress about the size of the baby. I wouldn't think that borderline GD would really affect the baby's size too much. Also, u/s in the 3rd trimester can be off on the sizing. Just play it by ear, and you will most likely still have the normal vaginal delivery that you're hoping for. Keep us posted on your blood pressure. I'm sure working with another teacher that you aren't fond of won't be helping the blood pressure. Not too much longer!!
January 19th, 2010, 03:13 PM
Amanda C's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
((HUGS)) That's a lot to deal with it. I hope your blood pressure stays down at least.

January 19th, 2010, 03:21 PM
ChrissySTL's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So sorry you are having to deal with all this! I hear ya...I took the 3 hour glucose test yesterday and was worried about GD, but I ended up passing mine. The good news is you were borderline and your diet is helping you keep things under control right now . I know it's a pain in the butt, but you are doing everything you can and as long as you keep your blood sugar down you won't have to worry about your baby growing too big, or preeclampsia. As for your blood pressure, I am hoping it stays down. Maybe it was just up at the doc. because you were worried about all of this, it is definitely a possibility!

Thank you MeganPixel for surprising me with this super cute siggy-you rock!

January 19th, 2010, 03:24 PM
Super Mommy
I am soo sorry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I will send you some lucky vibes that your blood pressure will go to normal and that you will not need insulin shots!

January 19th, 2010, 03:55 PM
..Penelope..'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy

Missing our angel baby since Feb 7, 2009

Visit
BeaMade for unique, adorable, high quality handmade crochet hats and booties, velcro free soother clips and soft sole baby boots.
January 19th, 2010, 05:57 PM
Thanks ladies! I think I just really needed to get all that off my chest... but tomorrow's a new day and no one said this was going to be fun and games, right? Thanks for the thoughts and hugs, you ladies are great!

and p.s... sometimes I wonder what it must have been like going through all of the woes of pregnancy without the internet years ago...no message boards to talk, no easy tool for researching...I'd go nuts!

January 19th, 2010, 06:07 PM
Love_the_Shoes's Avatar Love my girls!!
((BIG HUGS))---I'm so sorry you have to go through this. You sure did have one heck of an appt. huh? I think indulging yourself is in order right about now.

Try and stay positive as far as your diet. Do what needs to be done w/your eating habits and see what happens. If at the end of the day, you did everything you could to control your sugars and they are still wacky, then it was your hormones and wasn't in your control anyways. (same w/your BP--try and meditate, even in the shower..control it best you can and know that if you do get high bp, thousands of women are right there with you dealing with this.

One step at a time. We're almost there and you get to see your sweetie once a week starting at 32 weeks...that will be such an awesome treat.

And if you need to have a c-section--c'est la vie...it might not be what you want, but two good things will come out of it...1.) your babies head will be cute and round and perfect b/c it won't get squished and 2.) your lady parts will be in tact and you won't have any painful tears or stretching.

Plus, if it's scheduled, you can plan ahead and make sure everything is kosher before you become a MOMMY and have your whole world change

January 19th, 2010, 06:31 PM
peaches84's Avatar Super Mommy
wow that's a lot to deal with at once, no wonder you are overwhelmed. I hope that you can control your sugars with just diet alone and keep in mind that they are probably just being cautious since you are borderline not full blown GD. the same goes for your BP, I have had high blood pressure this entire pregnancy (actually it is usually higher anyway) is it possible that you have white coat syndrome? (get nervous around docs) they will have to get more readings than just the one bad one, tell them to let you sit for awhile before they take it to let you relax, that's what I have to do and I went from 133/88 to 110/80 that's a huge difference.

I don't have any advice/opinions on having to work with someone you don't want to because I haven't been in that situation for long periods of time, but I hope it works out for you.

just curious what has your blood pressure been and what about protein in your urine? if you are okay with it they may have you take bp meds also. most blood pressure meds are category c which means that there are possible harmful side effects but usually the benefits outweigh the negatives. I fully intend on going on bp meds before bedrest will happen. i'm kinda stubborn though

keep us posted

6/15/13
January 19th, 2010, 07:14 PM
shanna's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hugs! I know the stress of having medical issues while being pregnant but try to remain calm and enjoy the rest of your pregnancy as much as possible.
January 19th, 2010, 07:33 PM
palmetto_moon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yikes! Sorry you are going through all this! Do the meal plans seem like enough food? Does it leave you hungry? Or are you satisfied?
Sorry the jerk is your replacement at work. That sure does suck. Maybe it would be less stressful to leave early...if it doesn't affect your income too much.
Hope your stress level goes down. That can't be good for you either! Yay for the ultrasounds though!
Hugs,
angela

Thank you Kiliki for my awesome siggy!

visit our family blog at www.stalkedbythestork.com
January 20th, 2010, 02:48 AM
Kelsey: it was 146 over 84 the last time she took it in her office, but it used to be 120 over 70, 120 over 75 before...and no protein in my urine yet, so that's why she said it may not be an issue, we will just have to see as we go, but she wasn't too worried at this point.

Angela: No, I'm not hungry on the meal plan, they adjusted it for pregnancy and everything taken into consideration...I may even be eating more than before, just not the same portions, much les carbs, more protein and fruit than before, although I had to cut out my breakfast fruit because it was making my glucose levels a bit high. I have 3 fairly big meals and 3 snacks a day, so I'm not hungry at all. If I was, I couldn't stay on it, I'd go crazy!

January 20th, 2010, 06:52 AM
Max n Meghan's Mom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Good gracious! I'm so sorry you're going through all of this.

At least if you need to leave work early or need coverage for days off, that other teacher can handle it. But it'll stink to have to share your class room at all let alone with someone you and your students don't like.

Hang in there!

Thank you for my beautiful siggy, *Kiliki*!Visit My Blog

January 20th, 2010, 09:57 AM
~ Christine ~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm sorry hun! The up side to the GD diet is that you won't gain as much weight in the 3rd trimester, right?

Hopefully it will get better soon!

Forever missing our angel 8.31.07

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search