What do I need to bring to the hospital in regards to clothes for me?

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 19th, 2010, 04:11 PM
ChrissySTL's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I typically sleep in an old t-shirt and lounge around the house in yoga pants/sweat pants/etc. I don't own any cute matching pj's or nightgowns or anything.

What will I need for the hospital? Someone told me I needed to buy a nightgown and all I could imagine was those long nightgowns old ladies wear. I refuse!!! What are you bringing?

If I do need a nightgown where can I get something cute?

Thank you MeganPixel for surprising me with this super cute siggy-you rock!

January 19th, 2010, 05:17 PM
MichelleN's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Honestly, i just wore the hospital gowns while I was in the hospital. I bled heavily and soaked the pads. So the hospital gowns got all yucky. I'd rather ruin their gowns than my own. I know others who have brought their own clothes, but I'm just going to deal with the hospital provided ones. You will want to bring socks and slippers.
January 19th, 2010, 05:26 PM
fibigrey's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to fibigrey
Totally make sure you bring PLENTY of underwear! The comfortable kind! My motto for those are the older the better! LOL seems like the old undies I ahve are the most comfy.

You don't HAVE to have a nightgown, you can wear a hospital gown! Maybe bring a nice plush robe to wear..its comfortable and warm..

I wore a hospital gown I think when I had DS.. I didn't really care.. and I brought just some yoga pants and a maternity shirt to wear home.. A couple different bras, probably sports bra, because back then I was all about the support lol
January 19th, 2010, 05:38 PM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
I didn't bring any underwear, they provide those nice mesh ones.

I wear pj pants and a nursing tanks - it's my most comfortable gear.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
January 19th, 2010, 06:04 PM
frankie's Avatar Proud Mommy
Bring your own sanitary napkins thats what people keep telling me LOL

But i got a pretty pj set pants and a button down top... i also got a full night gown in case of c section..

trying for~~~Commitment leads to action. Action brings your dream closer~~~~ Marcia Wieder
January 19th, 2010, 06:27 PM
MichelleN's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
No need to bring your own pads. The hospital will provide them. Save your pads for when you are at home. Also, I would just stick with the mesh panties instead of bringing your own. They really aren't that bad and no one will know that you are wearing them.
January 19th, 2010, 06:30 PM
TeamNick's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I wore pj pants and a tank top.

Mommy to Evie and Isla Marie

January 19th, 2010, 06:59 PM
mylene169's Avatar Kaija and Kolbie's Mommy
Send a message via AIM to mylene169 Send a message via Yahoo to mylene169
Quote:
Originally Posted by frgsonmysox View Post
I didn't bring any underwear, they provide those nice mesh ones.

I wear pj pants and a nursing tanks - it's my most comfortable gear.
That's what I did when DD was born! Once I'd showered the night she was born I put my own jammies and nursing tank on and wore that until we went home. The mesh panties weren't that horrible and I actually 'stole' a pair or two along with their super-size pads.
January 19th, 2010, 07:11 PM
homeschooling mom of 2
I'm going to be wearing the hospital gown, their undies, and their pads... why mess up your own stuff. If you plan to have visitors then go ahead and get yourself a cute nursing (if you plan to nurse) nightgown or pj outfit so you can fix up a bit when you have company otherwise wear their stuff. Vaginal births are MESSY, the last thing you want to worry about is sending home a bunch of blood soaked panties or nightgowns to wash.

*edited to add do bring some of those thick cozy socks you can get on clearance everywhere right now... the hospital footie ones pretty much sucked and my feet were freezing so I stocked up on cute fuzzy ones this past weekend
January 19th, 2010, 07:54 PM
palmetto_moon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Personally, I would bring lots of undies. But I tend to bleed a lot, so I usually go through a few pairs.
I take a middle of the road approach to my own pj's. On one hand, I do like to have some form of pants on for a variety of reasons (company, walking around, just cause I don't like wearing a bulky pad w/ no pants..yes I'm a dork!) But...I don't bring anything nice or special,or anything I would be sad if I got blood on that didnt' wash off. I usually pick up a couple pair of drawstring PJ or lounge pants at walmart and use those. If they get stained..oh well. Hopefully they don't and I have a couple new pair of PJ pants ever after!
Also, sometims its just nice to ditch the hospital gown depending on how you feel. I also bring some tee shirts and tank tops.

Thank you Kiliki for my awesome siggy!

visit our family blog at www.stalkedbythestork.com
January 19th, 2010, 08:07 PM
Bosley's Avatar Hillary
This is my first baby, so I can't speak from experience, but when I visited a friend who just had a baby she mostly stayed in pajama bottoms/lounging pants and t-shirts. Personally I wouldn't like to be in a nightie - hospital or my own - as I expect to have visitors and don't want to worry about pulling my nightie down/making sure everything is covered when people come in. When I wear nightshirts at home they never stay down over my butt. Maybe if you're worried about leakage (yuk - something else to not look forward to) wear a pair of those more fitted mens-style undies as an extra layer (I forget what they are called - not exactly boxer briefs but like long boy shorts or like those short shorts that the pre-teen girls wear under short dresses). But I'm like you - I keep thinking I should at least have something vaguely cute...yet it seems like such a waste if I have to buy them big. Victoria's Secret always has cute two piece pajama sets in their catalog/on their website.

BTW - another friend who had a baby last year told me to swipe all the mesh panties and pads that the hospital provides and take them home with me. She said to just keep asking for more. For what we will all pay in hospital bills they can certainly spare some undies and pads. LOL
January 19th, 2010, 09:19 PM
sandpaper06's Avatar Mom of 3 darlings
I'd take whatever you're most comfortable in for other's to see you in. I mean, I'm not all about being vain, but I like feeling slightly pretty when I feel like crap. Socks you like, and I took slippers too, but I was also walking to and from the NICU most of the time.

Other than that, yes. Stock up on stuff. Just hope you're not leaving at the end of a supply week. I literally had to beg for 2 more nursing pads since the ones I was wearing were leaking through and they were out and getting a fresh supply in the next morning.
Caroline - November '12

January 20th, 2010, 04:50 AM
Amanda C's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I always bring pj pants with a matching shirt.

January 20th, 2010, 06:48 AM
CuteName's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've got pictures of me in a robe with my last one, so someone must have brought me one I think I'll probably pick up another cheap cotton robe this time too. I'd post pictures of the one I had but I look like I'd just given birth...because I had...and it wasn't a flattering picture...lol.

Soooo a thin cotton robe (old lady style...lol)
Comfy socks

My going home outfit will likely be a pair of the yoga pants that I've been wearing the whole time, and a cute comfy maternity shirt. I figure what fits me now in my 6th month should be the right size for wearing home.

As far as the pantie snatchers go...I'm with them! Take whatever the hospital gives. Mesh panties & Pads for sure. You will bleed...it will be gross.

If you don't want to use their stuff, I'd buy some serious granny panties from hanes, you don't want anything too tight and you'll need maximum coverage for the monstorous pads.
January 20th, 2010, 06:57 AM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
I stuck with the hopital gown last time and I'll do the same this time. When visitors stopped by (if I knew they were coming, that is) I'd throw on a little cotton robe and my cute slippers that I brought. I also used the mesh panties and giant pads the hospital provided. One thing I learned is that jeans are not comfortable as your going home outfit. That crotch seam was too hard and too tight on my swollen and stitched up vagina. I will be bringing my yoga pants this time.

January 20th, 2010, 07:01 AM
Max n Meghan's Mom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
IMO the hospital pads are much better than any your can buy in the store. Take lots of them home too! I bled a lot so I just wore the gown, panties and pads they gave me. I wore stretchy gym pants and a t-shirt home. I'll take extra of that and underwear just in case I want my own clothes but I'll probably stay in the hospital stuff this time too.

Thank you for my beautiful siggy, *Kiliki*!Visit My Blog

January 20th, 2010, 07:45 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I gave birth on Saturday and went home Wednesday... the first few days i wore a gown but by Tuesday i wore pj pants and tee shirts. I wore socks the whole time and also had a pair of slippers for roaming the halls. I also was really really glad i had a short, lightweight robe (my mom got me one from Target so check it out they're probably still there since it hasnt even been two weeks yet!) for when i left the room but i dont know if i had had a "normal" birth how much i would have needed that since baby would have been in the room with me and such

January 20th, 2010, 08:01 AM
dbarney's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I used all there stuff. I even took some extra pads and mesh underwear. I did however bring a sweater but I also had DS in November. There's really no need of getting my stuff dirty when I can do it to theirs.

January 20th, 2010, 08:05 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Well I didn't like wearing the hospital gowns because in order to have some modesty I put two on overlapping each other so that my hiney didn't hang out and while it worked it made it a pain to breastfeed, especially in the middle of the night. So ill just be wearing a t-shirt or nursing tank and sweats. Ill probably just bring along those hanes grandma fitting underwear since I will never wear them again and they are cheap.

Thanks Claire for my awesome siggy!!

January 20th, 2010, 08:36 AM
JaxonsMom2010's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I personally hate the hospital undies and pads. I generally bring my own. I just feel more comfortable and better. I wear the hospital qown until I get to take a shower and then change into pjs or yoga pants and then stay in them. I had to stay awhile longer with me last baby, so I plan on taking an extra outfit. I also bring a couple of nursing bras and nursing pads.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search