28 week appointment - long and ugh

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 19th, 2010, 08:01 PM
sandpaper06's Avatar Mom of 3 darlings
Oh goodness! It started today with the lovely glucose tolerance test. I drank it all in the prescribed 10 minutes, but the man on the other side of the room kept laughing at me since I kept grimacing and retching after every swallow. I finally just decided to chug it once it was warm enough to chug. Not bad. Not fun, but gotta love having random strangers laughing at you.

I then went in for an ultrasound because at my last one my cervix had gotten shorter, and DS had IUGR so they are keeping an extra close watch on this little Millie girl in me. I happen to LOVE this ultrasound tech. She's totally my favorite and is quick, knows just what she's doing and knows how to make you comfortable. Growth is looking perfect for Millie, and she's about 2 lb 10 oz right now.

The air in the room changed when she checked my cervix though through the transvaginal u/s. All of a sudden she was quiet and forlorn. Not nearly so fun.

I go and get my blood drawn for the GTT and then wait to get my "butt" shot of p17 and also see my OB. And, my cervix length is technically fine, but as soon as ANY pressure is put on it, it shortens and some liquid is able to seep down into it. There's about a cm of cervix that is still totally closed and isn't allowing liquid to penetrate it, but that's not very great.

I'm now on terbutaline every 4 hours (day and night) which apparently makes most people jittery for a few days, to help stop the contractions that have been coming not "regularly" but frequently to say the least. I'm also on a bed-rest schedule of 4-6 hours per day (not including sleeping) where I need to be not only off my feet, laying down to prevent ALL pressure. The rest of the time I just need to "take it easy" which is going to be a piece of cake with my 1 year old son. I wish it were anyway.

I'll be tested for the Ffn test on the 1st (or maybe next week? I don't remember), and would have been today but the vaginal ultrasound messed that up. Here's hoping I get to keep this baby in until at least the 34 weeks that DS was.

I hate feeling imcompetent.
Caroline - November '12

Last edited by sandpaper06; January 19th, 2010 at 08:14 PM.
January 19th, 2010, 08:14 PM
palmetto_moon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
You aren't incompetent. You are making a human being and for now that is your job. And your only job. It is a job no one else but you can accomplish. Only you can give your hubby a healthy daughter, or your son a healthy sister. Only you can give your baby the healthiest start possible by keeping her in as long as you can. You are doing a great job and right now its the only job that matters. Millie will sure be grateful when all the things you CAN'T do right now pay off down the road when they translate to all the things she WON'T have to go through in the NICU. Each day she stays inside you- each day that you have to lay there is approx. 2 days she doesn't have to lay in the NICU getting poked, prodded, intubated ect.
I know bedrest sucks big time. All that stuff that everyone does to prepare for baby weighs heavily on your mind and conscious and it feels horrible to have others have to do it for you. But you are making a huge investment in your baby's health. She is counting on you. You're doing fabulous Mama! You deserve lots of credit.
So happy to hear she is measuring right on track!!! Try to keep your spirits up! You can do it!

Thank you Kiliki for my awesome siggy!

visit our family blog at www.stalkedbythestork.com
January 20th, 2010, 04:58 AM
LisaBrown's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I understand how sothersome all this must be, 'm having my own issues at the moment with monitoring my bp and glucose levels because I'm borderline on both...not fun, but at least we will have our healthy babies soon and all of this will have been well worth it! Hang in there, you sound like you're being a great mommy/patient so all you need to do is keep it up! I hope all is well and will stay that way right up until the end!

January 20th, 2010, 05:14 AM
Love_the_Shoes's Avatar Love my girls!!

January 20th, 2010, 06:10 AM
becker206's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm thinking of you! I hope your Ffn test goes great and that baby stays put!

January 20th, 2010, 09:16 AM
~ Christine ~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oh hun! We're only a day apart in due dates, and I'm going through just about all the same stuff you are. That sounds like my 26 week appt - my cervix was significantly shorter than two weeks prior and it was starting to funnel as well. Just think, you're almost 29 weeks and I tend to breathe a little sigh of relief at 32 weeks - I know it's still early, but that seems like the point that early is not nearly as bad as in the 20s!!

Do you have to go back anytime soon for them to recheck your cervix?
I have the fFN tests every two weeks too and she just does them right before she does the transvaginal u/s to check my cervical length. I will say, getting a negative result on the fFN really gives you assurance for the next few weeks!!

Forever missing our angel 8.31.07

January 20th, 2010, 09:30 AM
Racine's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
keep baking baby!

Thank you, Meganpixel, for my awesome siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search