High electrolytes??

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 21st, 2010, 07:27 AM
CanadianLou's Avatar Laura - mom of 3
Anyone know if this is a bad thing or not?

I went to my dr. appt. yesterday...good news is..I passed my GD test, my iron is no longer low, and I lost a few pounds!! I am measuring big, but because I am a bigger woman, they say it's normal and that is why they are sending me for an ultrasound at 32 weeks. Blood pressure was 134/84 and baby's heart rate was 140bpm!

Now, before I went in to see the dr, the nurse was weighing me and taking my blood pressure, I caught of glimpse of my file and it said "High Electrolytes in urine", but the dr. never mentioned anything and I didn't want to tell her I saw that on my file. But I'm just wondering, do any of you know if this is normal in pregnancy or what it can mean etc?

Thank you Meganpixel for the most fantastic siggy!

Last edited by CanadianLou; January 21st, 2010 at 08:00 AM.
January 21st, 2010, 08:15 AM
onelove1109's Avatar Super Mommy
Hmm..Ive never heard of "high electrolytes" being a problem. But I do know low electrolytes is not a good thing (usually from dehydration).

Btw YAYY for no GD! And a great appt!

Thanks so much Jaidynsmum for my adorable siggy!

January 21st, 2010, 08:28 AM
Thanks Annie, I am clueless on the electrolytes thing! But yes it was a good appointment!

January 21st, 2010, 10:27 AM
ca_dawson's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Electrolytes are tricky. They can causse problems if they are too low or too high. There is a certain range they should stay within. Depending on which electrolytes are off depends on symptoms you may be feeling. Didn't you say you were having heart palpitations? Potassium is a big one that is usually off with heart issues. But all that being said, if your dr didn't mention it, then they aren't worried. Trust me they would let you know if it were a problem. It could just be slightly high and nothing to really worry about. But definitely call and ask about it, if for nothing else piece of mind.
January 21st, 2010, 10:30 AM
fibigrey's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to fibigrey
Your doc would definitly mention it if he/she were worried..

I don't know much about electrolytes though :/

I do want to say however, that you don't have to be embarrassed or ashamed that you were looking at your own chart.. You have every right to see your own chart, and can even request copies of it (might have to pay for the paper though lol) but seriously, if you ever see something you question in it, you should def. not be afraid to tell the doc!
January 21st, 2010, 10:53 AM
CuteName's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't know either. I am glad my doc's office doesn't check urine every visit. At the military hospitals they said that's a procedure they deemed uneccessary...so I bet it's not that big of a deal.
January 21st, 2010, 02:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ca_dawson View Post
Didn't you say you were having heart palpitations?
Yeah I am dealing with that, they said my EKG came back fine, but I wasn't having the palpitations then either. I go for my echo on Feb 1.

But Yeah, you guys are right, the dr. would probably mention something if there was anything wrong. My file was on a computer screen, so I didn't want them think i was snooping on there. LOL
Maybe it just means I'm well hydrated?? If low electrolytes means dehydration... LOL

January 21st, 2010, 03:14 PM
becker206's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Laura, here is a link you can check out about it if you are interested. You can have too high or too low of electrolyte levels. Neither extremes are good. I'm sure your's is not that high or they would have said something but never the less here is the link if you would like to learn more about it..

Problems With Electrolyte Balance, Water and Electrolyte Balance, THE MERCK MANUAL OF HEALTH & AGING

January 21st, 2010, 03:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by becker206 View Post
Laura, here is a link you can check out about it if you are interested. You can have too high or too low of electrolyte levels. Neither extremes are good. I'm sure your's is not that high or they would have said something but never the less here is the link if you would like to learn more about it..

Problems With Electrolyte Balance, Water and Electrolyte Balance, THE MERCK MANUAL OF HEALTH & AGING
Thank you!!! I'll read that for sure! I was trying to resist googling because I always come across something that freaks me out. LOL

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search