Important, please read

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 21st, 2010, 08:47 AM
.adi.
I'm not posting this to scare you. I'm posting this to educate you. Please read through this whole thing because it may save a your childs life.

the fact is, most of you will go your entire pregnancy without hearing a single thing about stillbirths and ways to prevent them. Dr's don't mention them because they don't want to scare you, but in fact, they could save lives by educating pregnant women. Stillbirths are VERY real. 1 in every 115 births is a "still" baby. "If deliveries were aircraft landings, Phoenix Sky Harbor airport, with about 700 landings daily, would have 6 fatal crashes every day. How long does one think the FAA would allow that to continue? Twenty-four hours? And yet as a nation we tolerate 80 pregnancies on average "crashing" daily in the U. S."

The biggest thing you can do to help be aware of your child is kick counts. Kick counts only work when you feel consistent, obvious movement daily. This should be by at least 28 weeks. What you're really looking for is changes in baby's daily pattern since babies sleep and you'll go for periods of time during the day without feeling any movement at all.

This is the best way to do kick counts and is what the National Stillbirth Society National Stillbirth Society suggests:
"Every day at the same time, preferably just after you've eaten, take time to be aware of your baby's movements. You needn't stop what you are doing, just be aware and count each movement as you detect it. If you haven't felt at least 4 or 5 movements by the end of an hour, you should redo the count, this time lying down on your side and focusing on counting movements. We call them "kicks" but all movements— punches, rolls and swooshes—count too, if it's a definite movement. You may be told it's normal for fetal activity to slow approaching full term. While that may be true for some women, the change should never be sudden. Sudden changes can signify trouble, usually involving the cord. If, after redoing the kick count, you still don't detect 10 movements within 2 hours, call your doctor. From a practical standpoint it's always easier to have your baby checked during office hours, but don't let the time of day stop you. If you detect a change in your baby's activity, call, no matter what the time. We've all been taught to be considerate of others but this is a different situation. Doctors, like firemen, have chosen a 24-hour occupation. You've chosen to become a mother. As a mother your job is to protect your baby. Pick up the phone and call at once. Tomorrow morning could be too late! "

you can find a free kick count chart here:
Fetal Heart Beat Monitoring at Home

Another thing, is FIGHT for your baby. If in your gut you know something is wrong, you look until you find someone who will listen to you. Don't let a dr blow it off as just a worried mother.

most of the time things are okay, but it's better to get to know your baby so that IF there is an issue, it can possibly be prevented. I hope with all of my heart that none of you need this information but please pass it along to any pregnant women you know. the more women who know, the more babies have a possibility of survival. Thank you for your time and God speed!

Last edited by .adi.; January 21st, 2010 at 08:49 AM.
January 21st, 2010, 10:52 AM
mylene169's Avatar Kaija and Kolbie's Mommy
Send a message via AIM to mylene169 Send a message via Yahoo to mylene169
Thanks for posting this information Adi!

Please ladies, even if you aren't doing kick counts specifically, be aware. My PR has sadly experienced two stillbirths in the last 6 months and now our Snowflakes have angels. If you notice something doesn't "seem right" or you feel different in any way, CALL YOUR DOCTOR. Don't worry about it being 2 a.m. - you'd call if you were in labor then, wouldn't you?

Again, this is about awareness, not about scaring you. We've had some mommies here experience stillbirth losses and I don't want anymore.
January 21st, 2010, 11:02 AM
fibigrey's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to fibigrey
very informative! I definitly am doing kickcounts.
January 21st, 2010, 11:29 AM
Amanda C's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Very informative. My OB just had this discussion with me on Tuesday.

January 21st, 2010, 11:37 AM
J-V221's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thank you for the info. I too am doing kick counts but was planning to from the very start. My mother had a still born and it effected our family greatly.
January 21st, 2010, 12:08 PM
Jennifer-Jacob's Mommy's Avatar Mega Momma
Send a message via MSN to Jennifer-Jacob's Mommy
thanks for this tip, i am certainly going to do it mroe often, i always feel him but i am always worried about not feeling him all the time.. I am definity going to pay more attention.

January 21st, 2010, 12:19 PM
.adi.
Quote:
Originally Posted by soontobmom View Post
thanks for this tip, i am certainly going to do it mroe often, i always feel him but i am always worried about not feeling him all the time.. I am definity going to pay more attention.
don't be too worried, because just like adults, babies will sleep and you'll go for a couple hours at a time where you won't feel moments [usually if you're up and about walking or something it will lull the baby to sleep]

The thing you want ot look for is if the baby is not moving when he normally does move. Like my youngest would freak out every night right before I went to bed and if one not he didn't, i would have been worried because he ALWAYS did, make sense? look for patterns
January 21st, 2010, 12:57 PM
lilflower
Thanks Adrienne.
January 21st, 2010, 01:47 PM
..Penelope..'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thanks for posting, Adrienne!

Missing our angel baby since Feb 7, 2009

Visit
BeaMade for unique, adorable, high quality handmade crochet hats and booties, velcro free soother clips and soft sole baby boots.
January 21st, 2010, 01:50 PM
*Ashley*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thanks for sharing this info Adrienne!

Thank you Katarina for my fabulous siggy!

January 21st, 2010, 01:57 PM
Super Mommy
I have a hard time finding a pattern. Some days she kicks All day and sleeps most of the night and some night she is so active I can't even sleep and then she is quiet during the day. She moves a lot but the pattern is very sporatic so I'm not sure when I need to worry. Usually as soon as I think hmm she hasn't been moving she starts so this hasn't been to much of an issue yet.

Thank you so much Meganpixel for my beautiful sigie!

January 21st, 2010, 02:02 PM
amazing_love's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thank you for posting this!

January 21st, 2010, 02:13 PM
.adi.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs_w_tobe View Post
I have a hard time finding a pattern. Some days she kicks All day and sleeps most of the night and some night she is so active I can't even sleep and then she is quiet during the day. She moves a lot but the pattern is very sporatic so I'm not sure when I need to worry. Usually as soon as I think hmm she hasn't been moving she starts so this hasn't been to much of an issue yet.
it'll probably be like that you're entire pregnancy. that's how my first was. I'd start to get worried and start my kick counts and then get 10 in like 20 minutes, lol
January 21st, 2010, 02:23 PM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs_w_tobe View Post
((hey, I'm Adi's sister, my daughter Cora was stillborn))

For me, when she stopped moving completely it was too late. But before that, her movements were...just different. And I knew something was wrong but convinced myself I was overreacting. I decided to wait and see until morning and in the morning she was dead. She was active during her active time, but it wasn't as strong or the same type of movements she had had before, does that make sense? My main point was that I didn't listen to myself, even when a coworker offered to finish my shift so I could go to the hospital. Even if you go in 10 times, and the first 9 times nothing is wrong...it could be the 10th that's important. Listen to yourself.

January 21st, 2010, 02:24 PM
Love_the_Shoes's Avatar Love my girls!!
Aly only kicks me 5 times a day and it's very low. I never feel her ever. I would never be able to do the 10 kicks in an hour b/c she doesn't kick me. I can press hard on my stomach right after eating and she is silent. but then randomly I will get a kick..but it's never more than 5, i would be surprised if I ever reached 10. If she kicks and I press on her, she still won't kick back.

I have an anterior placenta though....maybe I will bring this up in 3 weeks when I go for another appt.

January 21st, 2010, 02:29 PM
becker206's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thank you for sharing this information.

January 21st, 2010, 02:31 PM
Platinum Supermommy
What about heart rate? I have a doppler and use it occasionally? I take it that a babies heart rate will drop significantly if there is something not quite right, correct?

BTW TFS!
January 21st, 2010, 02:34 PM
krissy1989's Avatar is loving her two boys!
Thank you for posting this information. I am always very aware of Caleb's movements, because that is one of the highlights of my day: feeling him move. I get worried when I don't feel him much all day, but then he always starts going crazy as soon as I'm about to make a call. One thing that I've noticed is that, if I've been constipated for 2 or more days, his movements decrease. Then, as soon as I go to the bathroom, he goes nuts. lol

But I admit to hesitating when deciding to make a call to the doctor over my worries. I guess I was afraid of being looked down upon if nothing was wrong. But my baby's life isn't something that I should risk over anything stupid like that. I won't be hesitating anymore.

LoveLove
Love
LUV LOVE YOU!!
January 21st, 2010, 02:46 PM
Love_the_Shoes's Avatar Love my girls!!
well now I'm totally freaked out but I can't let this stuff get to me. I have had such a laid back pregnancy and she has always been quiet, yet HR good at prenatal appts.

Thanks for the info and educating us, especially us first time mommies...but I feel that I need to just keep trusting God that he is watching over her. With how NOT active she is, I literally would be calling my OB and having to take off work to go to the hospital every two days.

I hope my next pregnany I get morning sickness, big boobs, and have a baby that kicks me so hard I cry. I feel so left out in all of this.

January 21st, 2010, 02:53 PM
3and_justme's Avatar super special mommy
hi there I am from the march ddc & they removed this post from ours because it offended some people but I think ppl need to know & be aware of these types of things... after reading this I also would like to mention about a gradule decrease in movement - cause it mentions a sudden decrease but also be aware of a gradule decrease, my 6yr old daughter started dying inside of me 3weeks before her due date, I had an u/s on a wednesday & the amnio fluid was w/in a "normal range" but it was one number away from being abnormal so nobody took any precautions... and by sunday she was in distress, she moved at her regular times but everything in between had slowed down... and I had a "feeling something was wrong" so I trusted my instincts & went to the hosp & she was dying inside of me her heartrate was stopping & dropping by the minute - we waited on the doc to get there & she never answered her pages for over an hour & a half, my lil girl was dying insdie of me & I could see & hear the heartbeat diminishing... crying, I begged them to not wait on the dr & get her out & save her life & when they did finally get her out it took 11 minutes to bring her back... this lack of oxygen caused swellin on the brain & left her w/75-80% braing damage, she now has CP, a seizure disorder is legally blind & is dependent on me 24/7... I thank god that I have my daughter & she's such a blessing in my life, she's happy & dont realize whats been taken away from her so thank goodness for that - but soo much could of been prevented... I just had to say, listen to your instincts, hold onto your belly & know that your lil one is moving as it should be - give a lil poke her & there just to reassure yourself - its completely worth it, when you look at whats at stake.... Good luck w/your pregnancies & I hope you dont mind me tellin you about my experience - cause I dont know how I could of handled going home empty handed into my babys room w/no baby.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search