Bad hospital for good doctor?

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 21st, 2010, 11:51 AM
fibigrey's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to fibigrey
would you guys sacrafice having your baby at a hospital you hate, for a specific doctor? The hospital I am going to deliver at, is the furthest hospital away that I could've chosen, but I only chose it for a few reasons.

1.) I work for the company and at the time, I had their insurance, which meant I HAD to go to them. I dropped their insurance due to not being able to afford it, and now have Medicaid, which can be used wherever I want.

2.) I am seeing the only perinatologists in this area..The next closest one is about 2 hours away.

3.) They have a NICU.

But I absolutely hate this hospital. Its really sad that I work for the company, but can't stand it.. I've never gone there for ANYTHING before, except the ER once for a car accident, and I wasn't impressed then, either.
I think that most of the L&D nurses have awful bedside manners, and you get a "private birthing suite" but if you're induced or get there in early labor, you stay in a room with 4 other beds for women with problems, or other inductions, etc.. Once you get further along, you THEN go to the birthing suite-- after you deliver, you move to a normal hospital room that depending on how busy it is, you have to SHARE with another mom.

Don't get me wrong, I know this isn't the end of the world, but I would really, REALLY not have to put up with another woman's complaints, her baby's crying, AND her visitors while I have my own complaints, crying baby, AND visitors..

The hospital I had DS at was wonderful (my midwife, not so wonderful) but the nurses and the birthing suite alone made the experience great, that I liked every minute being there with my newborn. And the room you deliver in, you usually stay in..and they are really suites, not just hospital rooms. Its not as big as this other hospital, but the delivery unit is beautiful!

I almost want to go to the hospital I had DS if I make it full term, but I also trust MY doctor.. He's really weird, and has the WORST bedside manner of any doctor I've ever had, but he has the best reputation around for getting babies and moms through pregnancy and delivery safe and healthy. I am a high-risk pregnancy and get my cerclage taken out at 37 weeks.. I think rarely some problems can arise after the sutures are removed, so thats why I have to go to the stinky hospital I'm so not looking forward to almost an hour's drive while in labor, when the other hospital is only 20ish minutes away

So would you guys go to a hospital you hate for a doctor you trust?
January 21st, 2010, 11:56 AM
CuteName's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I like my doctor and like what I have seen out of the hospital I'm birthing at, although I've never been to it aside from my ultrasound visit.

Although, I believe my doctor won't be the one delivering me. I think I just get whoever is on duty. I could care less about WHO is delivering me, as long as I get good care.

However, I don't think I could stand to put up with room sharing either. The hospital I am going to you get your very own large suite.

You don't have that long to go...how bad is the bad doctor? Can you switch at the very end?
January 21st, 2010, 11:58 AM
Amanda C's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
IDK. Can you be certain he will be the one to deliver you? If not I'd go to a hospital that I like. A great hospital can be the most relaxing thing in labor and I honestly can't imagine sharing a room with anyone during early labor or after delivery.

January 21st, 2010, 11:58 AM
palmetto_moon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I go to a hosptial I hate for a midwife I love but I don't have to share a labor or post partum room. That would be a serious consideration for me. If you really love the doc then it might be worth the sacrifice to you. I don't know if I have any good advice- mostly just that you'll have to weigh out in your heart which sacrifice makes the most sense to you. Which choice do you think will make you the most comfortable? The happiest? The most satisfied? A NICU is important, imo, if you have even the foggiest idea that there could be problems (one of the reasons I dont like my hospital is that there is no NICU. When my twins were born, one had to be transfered to another hospital which meant I didn't see or hold him for three days. Sucked).
I think you just have to evaluate each issue or item and weigh out how important each one is and then go with whichever makes the most sense to you. Good luck. That's a hard choice!

Thank you Kiliki for my awesome siggy!

visit our family blog at www.stalkedbythestork.com
January 21st, 2010, 11:59 AM
Thats what i'm contemplating.. I don't see why I would have many problems after the cerclage as long as I'm full term.. the only problem may be TOO much scar tissue not allowing me to dialate, and then needing a c-section.. But if i'm full term the baby shouldn't need a NICU..My SIL had twins at 29 weeks at this other hospital (the one I want to go to) and her babies got sent to a different hospital that had a NICU.. She had to stay there and recover before she could go be with her babies..

I am so dreading sharing a room and its so far for friends and family to get to as well.
January 21st, 2010, 12:06 PM
Max n Meghan's Mom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Do you know for sure you'll have that doctor? Otherwise I'd go to the other hospital. I'm sure if you need the NICU, they'll transfer you.

The OB (not my OB but the one on call) was so barely involved with my birth, I would choose the better hospital. The nurses and facilities make all the difference. It's important to be comfortable.

I think it's insane to have non private rooms. After giving birth you need any rest your baby will allow and you can't get that if you have to rely on both babies to be quiet.

Good luck!

Thank you for my beautiful siggy, *Kiliki*!Visit My Blog

January 21st, 2010, 12:17 PM
Racine's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Personally, I'd go with the better hospital. We had an amazing doctor with DS, he's a friend of ours from church and we love him and his care....but absolutely hated our hospital experience.

We chose to find a different doc this time around so we could go to a newer hospital that has a better rep. with their nursing staff. (there is no way I would want to have to share a room....ick!)

Good luck making your decision!

Thank you, Meganpixel, for my awesome siggy!

January 21st, 2010, 12:59 PM
lilflower
A hospital that you LIKE over a DR anyday.
January 21st, 2010, 03:08 PM
becker206's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'd go with the better hospital too.

January 21st, 2010, 03:47 PM
..Penelope..'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm not sure what I would do.

I faced the opposite decision - I wanted a certain hospital, and so I chose the only OB who delivered there that I had access to. There's nothing really wrong with him, but my whole experience in terms of his care and knowledge has been pretty blah. I don't think I would go back to him for our second baby (if he is still even practicing by then).

Good luck!

Missing our angel baby since Feb 7, 2009

Visit
BeaMade for unique, adorable, high quality handmade crochet hats and booties, velcro free soother clips and soft sole baby boots.
January 21st, 2010, 04:10 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
This is a really tough decision and I'm not really sure what I would do. The nurses are going to be the ones most involved in your labor, so I think I would choose the hospital with the best nursing staff. I'm passing 3 hospitals and driving almost an hour (without traffic) to our hospital because it's the only one in the area that allows midwives. The midwife will be more involved in my labor than a typical OB, so I decided the drive was worth it. Sharing a room also sounds like something I would hate. It seems so outdated. But at the same time, I'm willing to forego a fancy birthing suite and recovery room if I'm going to get top notch care by my nurse and midwife. You'll only be there for a few days anyway, so I could care less if I have plasma tvs and tons of space in recovery.
January 21st, 2010, 04:57 PM
ca_dawson's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am sacraficing hospital for dr as well, although this hospital isn't that bad. It's actually a really nice hospital and maybe 2 minutes from my house (literally I will drive 2 streets and be there) The thing I don't like about this hospital is that the mothers/babies have seperate nurses which means twice the interruptions. They also like to take the baby away to the nursery to do the newborn assessments which I don't like at all. But my dr is great. She's been my gyno for about 6 years now and has done my gyn surgeries and knows all my issues so she knows what to expect in my care. Also she will deliver the baby unless its not her call weekend so I have a high chance of getting her. But if not there's 3 of them in the practice and they are all great so I feel comfortable with whoever delivers my baby. I would not want to share a room though. It seems like far too intimite of an experience to have strangers all around, especially with the nurses having to come in and check your bleeding and breastfeeding and such. That is insane they would even have that!
January 21st, 2010, 05:05 PM
I know, I don't know what to do about the sharing room thing.. If it wasn't for that, i'd put up with the snotty nurses, but I just don't want to share a room.. Its not definite that you'd share a room, but if it is even remotely busy, the chances are really high, and this hospital serves a very large area...And as cheesy as it is, I'm having my baby in the spring.. The season of babies.. LOL

I don't care about TV.. I don't think I'd even watch tv even if there was one (I didn't with DS) way too busy with new baby.. I don't care about a fancy room.. I just want privacy. I want my OWN private room.. Just me, my baby, my husband, and my loved ones...
January 21st, 2010, 06:08 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibigrey View Post
I don't care about TV.. I don't think I'd even watch tv even if there was one (I didn't with DS) way too busy with new baby.. I don't care about a fancy room.. I just want privacy. I want my OWN private room.. Just me, my baby, my husband, and my loved ones...
I hope you didn't think I was suggesting that was the case with you! I was just using that as an example. I've had friends say that they plan on using a local hospital because the rooms are extremely nice and have plasma tvs and stereos with ipod hookups. They were surprised we chose a hospital with teeny recovery rooms that were totally bare bones. I definitely think the lack of privacy in a recovery room is a major issue to consider when choosing a hospital.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search