Question about Graco Snugride Car Seat

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 21st, 2010, 03:10 PM
ChrissySTL's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We did a lot of research on car seats and decided on this one. We also picked out a Graco Stroller (not included in the recall thank goodness!). My mom told me she was online reading the reviews for the snugride and although they were good, she said someone mentioned that they were not happy with it because the car seat does not fit in a grocery cart. I will admit I had never even thought about this...I am a first timer! But once she mentioned it I realized how do you take your LO grocery shopping with you when they are itty bitty if you can't keep them in their carseat? If we do need to take Chase to the store before he can sit in the cart on his own we could bring our sling, but I'm not sure if this will always be practical. Is this an issue I should be worried about? I love that car seat/stroller and don't plan on changing my mind on it because of this, but I guess I don't know how big of an issue this really is.

Do any of you BTDT moms already own the Snugride carseat?? If so, have you tried putting it in a grocery cart? I am hoping this lady who posted the review was maybe wrong or just complaining?!

Thank you MeganPixel for surprising me with this super cute siggy-you rock!

January 21st, 2010, 03:13 PM
homeschooling mom of 2
First off though many many people do it it's really not recommended to put your carseat up on the grocery cart, it's dangerous and the seat could easily fall. With DD I never even had to think about doing it as she HATED her carseat so I always put her in the bjorn when I took her shopping until she was big enough to sit up on her own (then it was in the car with a cart cover) That said I did get a graco snugride this time but have no idea if it fits on the top part of a grocery cart.... many grocery stores now have the carts with a baby seat up there built in (I'd be sure to really wipe it down and/or use a blanket over it if you went that route). Sorry I'm not much help.
January 21st, 2010, 03:16 PM
Amanda C's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had a Graco with DD I'm not sure if mine was a Snugride or a Safeseat. It did fit on top you just have to remember it's not meant to really go there. I always kept one hand on it at all times just in case. The top of it will sort of clip to the buggy but the bottom just sits on top so it will slide a little side to side.

January 21st, 2010, 03:17 PM
becker206's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had a Graco Snugride for my daughter and will be getting another one for our son. We put ours in the cart all the time. I put it in forwards so that the baby is facing you when pushing the cart and it actually snaps onto the back seat part of the cart (the bar). You have to push the latch release to get it back off.

January 21st, 2010, 03:23 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
You're not supposed to put a carseat in the top portion of the shopping cart anyway, even if it sorta fits. We always put the carseat in the big part of the cart and just piled groceries around her. Worked just fine and I didn't have to worry about her falling out.
January 21st, 2010, 03:26 PM
ChrissySTL's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks ladies...I had never really even thought about this, and I am glad to know that it is not an issue!

Thank you MeganPixel for surprising me with this super cute siggy-you rock!

January 21st, 2010, 03:40 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm getting a Snugride. Its the Jewel one. I read a lot of good reviews on it and the stroller that matches it isnt as big as most of the travel system ones and I figured out how to collapse it within 1 minute of looking at it.

It fit into the cart that I had. I was in BRU and got a cart JUST to try it out, although more than likely she'll be placed in the back of the cart who knows. I didnt check to see if it snapped into the back of it or not though. I dont think it did.
January 21st, 2010, 04:39 PM
Platinum Supermommy
It's not considered safe (even by the carseat companies) to put a carseat in the front portion of the cart. Even the back can be dangerous as it can weight it down oddly and cause the cart to tip.

I always put Lily in a mei tai carrier or if I wanted to use the car seat I just put it in the stroller and grabbed a basket.

January 21st, 2010, 05:46 PM
Max n Meghan's Mom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
About a month ago I read a post somewhere on JM (not sure by who or what section, I often lurk) where a mom had her child in the carseat on the cart, someone wasn't paying attention and knocked into the shopping cart. The carseat came off and landed baby first. I believe the baby suffered from a fractured skull but will be ok in the long run. At least that's what was said at the time.

We always went together or took turns going alone with out the baby for the big trips. When together we'd use a cart and take the stroller with the car seat attached. If I needed just a few things I'd either put my items in the bottom of the stroller or carry a shopping basket while pushing the stroller.

Thank you for my beautiful siggy, *Kiliki*!Visit My Blog

January 21st, 2010, 05:47 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I am guilty of the car seat on the grocery cart as well as in the basket.

I had 2 snugrides with my twins and then also used the snugride for DD2. I never had an issue with putting it on top of the cart facing me nor did I have any issues with putting it in the shopping cart basket. I do agree that you need to be careful if you choose to do this, but I don't think it is that big of a deal.

I am more worried about me falling down the steps while holding my newborn than I am about the car seat falling off the grocery cart - but hey that's just me.

[/COLOR]Nathan(6), Reagan(6), Riley(5), Kaycee(3)

Our Blog

January 21st, 2010, 06:34 PM
becker206's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Just like with anything you will need to take precautions to be safe. I did it all the time with DD but I always made sure I went grocery shopping with DH when we would go and one person would have a hold of the cart at all times. You'll just have to use your good mommy sense and make a decision your are comfortable with.

Now that we will have two children soon there will be no more grocery trips with children however. It's hard enough with just a 2 year old. I like going shopping in the morning but that's just going to have to be sacrificed for the ease and safety of the family. I'll be waiting for DH to be home from work or go on the weekend when he can watch them and go alone.

January 21st, 2010, 08:33 PM
DondraB's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We have a Graco Snugride...and they do fit on the top of the shopping cart-it snaps in just like it snaps into the carseat base or stroller. Target was the only place that it didnt snap into the top...so we put it in the big part of the shopping cart. We did keep the carseat snapped into the top, Kinley was ALWAYS strapped in when she was in it and there's no way she would have fallen out of it--because it is snapped it really well and you have to press the release to get it off. Anyways, I never took my hand off the cart when I was grocery shopping with her in the top........with this baby there's no way I'm going grocery shopping with an infant and 2.5 yr old....I wouldn't have any where to put the groceries! lol Either Dh will stay home with one or both or my mom will

January 22nd, 2010, 10:30 AM
mylene169's Avatar Kaija and Kolbie's Mommy
Send a message via AIM to mylene169 Send a message via Yahoo to mylene169
We also have the Snugride and had the same problem at Target as Dondra. I know I shouldn't put the carseat up there anyway...

If I do have to go out with both kiddos, I'll probably put DD in the cart and carry the baby in my wrap carrier.
January 22nd, 2010, 08:41 PM
sandpaper06's Avatar Mom of 3 darlings
tis true. All of it. But, for the most part, the snug-ride is great. My only regret is not finding one that allows for babies to get longer. DS was bigger than the seat recommended by 7 months and could have fit in weight wise until his 1st birthday. Just something to think about if you have tall genes in you somewhere.
Caroline - November '12

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search