Is an epidural painful?

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 22nd, 2010, 01:50 PM
amazing_love's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
This is obviously a question for BTDT moms. I saw a video of someone getting an epidural and it looked rather painful. I'm scared to get one because of the pain but then i'm also scared of having a natural birth because of the pain. lol. So for those of you who've had one, what did it feel like and how painful was it?

January 22nd, 2010, 01:57 PM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
It's not painful. I thought the same thing - but you are in so much pain at that point the only painful part was the numbing shot they give you and it was mild compared to childbirth.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
January 22nd, 2010, 02:04 PM
Super Mommy
They usually do it during a contraction. You won't really feel it.
January 22nd, 2010, 02:06 PM
sarah*'s Avatar Loving My Piglets
an epidural is nothing compared to natural birth

January 22nd, 2010, 02:11 PM
MichelleN's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The numbing shot kind of stings but it doesn't hurt as bad as contractions. Once the epidural takes effect you'll be thankful for it!
January 22nd, 2010, 02:35 PM
homeschooling mom of 2
Contractions were painful, I was so thankful for the epidural I don't even remember them actually doing it.. and the relief (while it lasted, mine didn't work well) was immediate and OHHH SO GOOD!
January 22nd, 2010, 02:41 PM
becker206's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had an epidural (spinal) for my c-section. It was a quick sting and a burn, that was it.

January 22nd, 2010, 03:35 PM
CanadianLou's Avatar Laura - mom of 3
Mine didn't hurt at all either. I heard that if you get it when you're in a lot of pain it doesn't hurt. But I've had a few friends who were offered it really early and took it and it was more uncomfortable to them.

Not sure if that is true or not...just what I've 'heard'.

To me it was relief! And as I said, it didn't hurt at all. I even read my birthstory from DD last week-end and in it I mentioned that it didn't hurt at all.

Thank you Meganpixel for the most fantastic siggy!

January 22nd, 2010, 04:13 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Not painful, I was much more focused on the contraction pains.

[/COLOR]Nathan(6), Reagan(6), Riley(5), Kaycee(3)

Our Blog

January 22nd, 2010, 04:22 PM
Katie81's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Nope, and I wasn't really in pain from contractions when they did it. Certainly no more painful than 5 seconds of getting a tattoo
January 22nd, 2010, 04:54 PM
palmetto_moon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
the initial numbing medicine stings a bit just as any numbing medication will. After that it is more of an awkward feeling than actual pain. In my experience, I'd been in so much pain from the contractions that I welcomed the epidural needle so it wasn't bad. You do have to be in certain positions to get the epidural (basically a position that gives the doc the best angle to your epidural space, so either sitting up hunched over, or side lying and curled up...I perfer sitting up hunched over) If you get a contraction in the middle of being hunched up its not so much fun but you get through it...
What CAN be bad is if the doc hits a nerve while threading the catheter and if that happens, you can feel a pain like a shock wave pusling through your thigh or leg. That isn't so nice.
I have never had any complications from an epidural but I know that some women end up with really bad headaches afterwards (not sure if that results even with normal placement or if its becuase of a mistake on the part of the doctor). Like I said, its never happened to me, but I've heard enough of it that I don't think its RARE either.
But no, the actual proceedure didn't hurt at least not in comparison to the contractions.

Thank you Kiliki for my awesome siggy!

visit our family blog at www.stalkedbythestork.com
January 22nd, 2010, 05:54 PM
fibigrey's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to fibigrey
Not saying this to scare you, BUT there is very little pain that is going to seem overly painful while you're in labor.. a needle, is nothing--even one going in the spine..

I remember it being a pinching feeling...But nothing unbearable...
January 22nd, 2010, 06:00 PM
ashleyjo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
lurking from december.. just wanted to say that the 'pain' of the epidural is NOTHING compared to labor! it's almost immediate relief-- my epidural was the best thing EVER!

January 22nd, 2010, 06:32 PM
SerendipitysChild's Avatar Super Mommy
When my anesthesiologist showed up to give me the epi, I proposed to him with my husband standing right there LOL His name was Jason, I told him I was going to name my daughter Jason!!! I was curled on my side and had a couple of contractions while he was doing the epi, you have to lie perfectly still and the contractions were horrible at that point so staying still was tough and I really could not feel anything beyond the pain of the contractions. I do remember feeling a pinch and a couple of twinges down my back and into my butt while he adjusted the line and then.......sweet sweet relief!!! It was friggen beautiful!!!

Thank You Jaidynsmum for my fabulous fall siggy!
January 22nd, 2010, 06:36 PM
mylene169's Avatar Kaija and Kolbie's Mommy
Send a message via AIM to mylene169 Send a message via Yahoo to mylene169
I nearly broke DH's femurs, but that was because sitting up to get the epidural instantly caused me to go from 5-10 cm! That was painful! I don't remember much of getting the epidural - just that the Dr. commented on my tattoo... But I don't recall any pain from the epi itself.
January 22nd, 2010, 06:50 PM
Amanda C's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Not painful at all. In fact it was so easy to me that I now opt for spinal or epidural anesthesia for surgeries instead of general. It's much easier and I have no side effects from it at all.

January 22nd, 2010, 06:58 PM
homeschooling mom of 2
You guys are cracking me up with memories over here... the initial feeling of an epidural after the pain of contractions really is sweet amazingly wonderful relief, just about as good as those first seconds after the baby is delivered and all you can think is "oh thank god that is over!"
January 23rd, 2010, 06:52 AM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
Frankly I don't remember feeling any pain from the epidural. It took quite some time for her to get it in, so my entire focus was on breathing through my contractions that were every 3 minutes at that point and not moving an inch. She did poke a nerve and a weird shooting sensation went down my right leg, but it didn't hurt. The only pain I remember was after it was worn off. My back was very stiff and achey for about a month or so where the epidural was. Apparently that's common.
January 23rd, 2010, 09:20 AM
Mega Super Mommy
My epidural was pure heaven!!!!!! No pain that I can remember. I also had it while contracting and that pain is much worse.

January 23rd, 2010, 11:06 AM
DondraB's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ditto to everyone else! I was in SOO much pain that I didn't even feel anything when they gave me the epidural! DH kinda freaked out at how big it was.....the only thing I had a hard time doing was staying still during a contraction while they were giving it to me!

This time around I'm going to be very nervous for the epidural....because I'm having a scheduled csection so I won't be in any pain when I go in to get it!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search