baby shower...

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 23rd, 2010, 09:44 AM
Mega Super Mommy
So I have a question on manners for baby shower stuff and hosts. My sister told me back in September that she wanted to throw me a shower. She hasn't said anything at all about it, and I don't know that it's polite to ask. She hasn't been making the best decisions ( anyone who read my under the umbrella knows what I mean) well she is now living in a hotel...... I can't see her being able to afford one or have time to host one. Should I ask her? I almost feel like I should pay for my own and ask a friend to host it instead ( which I kinda feel is tacky.....)

what would you guys too

January 23rd, 2010, 04:15 PM
LIZZYI's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
If you feel uncomfortable asking your sister could you ask a close friend to see if maybe they received an invite? Maybe you could bring it up to your sister by saying "I know things are tough right now so maybe I can help with the shower" (I did not read your under the umbrellas so I don't know what is going on). Maybe by saying that you will be able to figure it out.

I don't know what your relationship is with your sister but I definitely feel that it is ok to just ask her.
January 23rd, 2010, 04:19 PM
fibigrey's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to fibigrey
I read your situation with your sister, and I don't think that you should wait on her.. You'd probably be better off throwing one on your own, or getting a friend to help.. If you have any really good friends, or a close female family member (other than your sis) I'm sure they wouldn't mind helping you..

Its not tacky.
January 23rd, 2010, 04:22 PM
palmetto_moon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I can see where that is a difficult and uneasy situation.
I guess if it were me I would assume that if she is living in a hotel she probably can not, or should not be affording to throw a baby shower. My sister often makes grand offers that she shouldn't make becuase she totally lacks the means to follow through. Maybe your sister is the same way?
Here's what I would do, becuase I don't have the guts to directly approach someone about it. I would sort of mention to a friend or two how my sister had offered to throw a shower but has never brought it up again and how since she's living in a hotel, I doubted she could or should throw one, even if she wanted to. I would mention that I was little bit bummed but that I understood. Then I would totally hope that my friends "got it" and decided to throw me one! I am not very good at being direct, so I would be too chicken to say anything more direct!
Good luck. I hope you get your shower. That would be awesome!!!

Thank you Kiliki for my awesome siggy!

visit our family blog at www.stalkedbythestork.com
January 23rd, 2010, 06:02 PM
homeschooling mom of 2
Worst case after the baby is born you could throw your own "welcome baby" party, sure you're not going to get things you might need before the baby comes, but 1/2 the time the things you get at showers aren't really what you need anyways so you'll probably still end up with blankets, outfits, diapers etc and that way you don't need to feel like you're hosting your own shower in a sneaky way and you can show off your baby (I'd say wait till baby is about 2 months old and the major germ worries are over if you're concerned about that).
January 24th, 2010, 06:07 AM
~ Christine ~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That's a hard situation! I'd probably do what Angela said. But I'm not direct enough to straight up ask!

Forever missing our angel 8.31.07

January 24th, 2010, 07:19 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I probably wouldnt rely on her since she's living in a hotel and going thru some things.

I'd just ask a close friend to help or let them know that you really want a baby shower but dont think thaty ou're goign to get one. Has anyone asked you about a baby shower or registry. I'd mention to them that you're unsure b/c nobody has mentioned throwing you one.
TTC #2 (6/2015): Sept 2015 - EP @ 5 weeks, lost right tube
Mar 2016 - EP, MTX
July 2016 - CP
IVF - Jan/Feb 2017
ER (2/2)- 14 retrieved ALL mature; 12 fertilized normally
ET (2/7) - xfer 1 5AA blast, 8 5AA/5AB frozen
BFP @ 3.5dp5dt **Stick Baby Stick***
1st Beta (2/21) ): 3768!!!2nd Beta (2/23): 7313!!!U/S (3/3): 1 Bop @ 111bpm! U/S (3/13): 150bpm Baby Boy Due Date: 10/26/17
January 25th, 2010, 09:17 AM
*Ashley*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
[quote=amf4976;18771430]
Here's what I would do, becuase I don't have the guts to directly approach someone about it. I would sort of mention to a friend or two how my sister had offered to throw a shower but has never brought it up again and how since she's living in a hotel, I doubted she could or should throw one, even if she wanted to. I would mention that I was little bit bummed but that I understood. Then I would totally hope that my friends "got it" and decided to throw me one!quote]

I agree with this. I would just hint around to one of my close friends and then hope that she caught on. If all else fails, Candi's suggestion is great too. Have a "Welcome Baby" party on your own after the baby is born.

Thank you Katarina for my fabulous siggy!

January 25th, 2010, 09:25 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks girls I happened to mention this to mention the issue with a good friend of mine and she called me and was like HELLO I would love to do it!! Thanks for the suggestions girls.

January 25th, 2010, 09:31 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Sweet!!!!
TTC #2 (6/2015): Sept 2015 - EP @ 5 weeks, lost right tube
Mar 2016 - EP, MTX
July 2016 - CP
IVF - Jan/Feb 2017
ER (2/2)- 14 retrieved ALL mature; 12 fertilized normally
ET (2/7) - xfer 1 5AA blast, 8 5AA/5AB frozen
BFP @ 3.5dp5dt **Stick Baby Stick***
1st Beta (2/21) ): 3768!!!2nd Beta (2/23): 7313!!!U/S (3/3): 1 Bop @ 111bpm! U/S (3/13): 150bpm Baby Boy Due Date: 10/26/17

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search