What did baby's belly button look like when cord fell off?

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 23rd, 2010, 03:23 PM
LadyCoconut's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Today I went to a bridal shower this afternoon and DH stayed home w/ Lily. She was just crying and crying and he couldn't figure out why. Then he noticed that her cord had gotten stuck to her sleeper and was no longer attached to her, but rubbing against her belly button. So her cord stump and scab part is off... but her belly button was bleeding/oozing a little bit. I think it got stuck and came off too soon. She's only 8 days old and it doesn't look totally healed so I don't really feel comfortable bathing her or getting it wet. I'm not sure if we should put neosporin on it or just treat it like before & do nothing and maybe it'll re-scab or something? I'm sure we aren't the first person this has happened to and I'm not really concerned with it as its not bothering Lily now... but I still don't really know what to do about it.

Has this happened to any of you? What did/would you do?

January 23rd, 2010, 03:38 PM
Mega Super Mommy
if that were me i would just put some gauve over it to make sure it doesnt stick to her clothes or diaper and then let it be... i wouldnt put anything on it though... is it still bleeding??

i dont remember what my kids belly buttons looked like when their cords came off... but, my kids like to hang on to their cords for awhile... my sons was 4 weeks and my daughters was 5. no getting them wet or anything... they just didnt fall off...
mom to 3 wonderful kids, married to a truly awesome DH.
Christian 5
kaitlyn 3
Mathiue lil baby!

January 23rd, 2010, 03:42 PM
Mom2M&S's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Savannah's fell off yesterday...she is only 6 days old today. The cord stump looks pretty yuck but her belly button itself looks like it is perfectly fine and healed fine...no yuckies in it or anything.

January 23rd, 2010, 03:43 PM
C&K'sMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Carrie's looked like a regular belly button when it fell off (3 weeks) but Kate's fell off on day 9 (like you I think it stuck to her clothes and she wiggled it off). it concerned me too cause it was oozing and looked liked puss when it came off.

We took her to the pedi (had an appt with older DD that day luckily) and they said to continue alcohol on it and just like you said... not to give real bath yet... other than that she should be fine, it will dry out again... pedi said you don't want to cover it (beside clothes, I mean you don't want to bandage it or anything) cause it won't dry right (and could the get infected).

"Disability is not a brave struggle or ‘courage in the face of adversity.’ Disability is an art. It’s an ingenious way to live."

Last edited by C&K'sMama; January 23rd, 2010 at 03:45 PM.
January 23rd, 2010, 04:10 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Haidon's was oozy and kind of gross when her's fell off at 7 days. She had a doctor's appointment the next day and the doctor said that it was normal. She did something to it to dry it out so we could give her a bath and to keep it from getting all over everything. Within a few days it was looking like a normal belly button.

January 23rd, 2010, 04:19 PM
Koti's Avatar Nugget's Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Koti Send a message via Yahoo to Koti
Simon's actually fell off while I was undressing him at his 2 week pedi appointment. She said nothing about it so I left it alone because it looked a little oozy and a few days later cleaned it off and it's perfect now.
January 23rd, 2010, 06:15 PM
*Izzy's*Mommy*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Izzy's came off when she was 10 days old, it happened during a bath. It started coming off and then was hanging there by a few "threads". I just left it dangling (it didn't want to pull it off and have it bleed) & it fell off the next day. For the last two days, her innie has had a little blood in it, but we've just cleaned it out with q-tips and warm water (my pedi said not to use alcohol). It doesn't seem to bug her at all & during her bath tonight we gave it a really good clean

January 23rd, 2010, 07:16 PM
Kensleigh's belly button bled badly after hers fell off. Her doctor cauterized it and it still hasn't healed up completely yet but looks much better.
January 24th, 2010, 11:39 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Morgans top part of the cord fell off and left a flat bottom peice of the cord. Then that fell off a few days and it was bleeding and looked weird. Well then it made a scab and a few days later that fell off and she has a normal belly button!

January 24th, 2010, 01:17 PM
Carrie429's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Carrie429
Parker's fell off today (13 days) and it looks like a regular belly button

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my adorable siggy! ~*~ Blog ~*~bfp Chart
January 24th, 2010, 06:49 PM
Kansascity kitty's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Sophie's fell off today and looks great she has a cute innie I am not sure what to put on it if it has come off to soon I would just call the peed offense and ask a nurse to be certain only because these fragile little ones can become sick or get an infection faster then we can blink. I am sire your right though your not the first ones this has happened to.

January 24th, 2010, 08:48 PM
Teri's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Abigail's fell off last night (and Lily and her were born on the same day) and it looked kinda yucky and gooey - but it's better today and doesn't bother her at all. I'm not giving her a tub bath (just sponge baths) until it dries completely though.

January 25th, 2010, 08:55 AM
~Angela~'s Avatar Mommy to 3
I'm still waiting for Maddie's to fall off. Its been oozing all over her onsies (yuck). I'd say if your worried, call your pediatrician, they should be able to tell you if it's ok.
January 25th, 2010, 01:09 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Matteas fell off the other day and it looked pretty good. Today though its got blood scabbed in it. I have a doctors appointment for her tomorrow so I will see what the doctor suggests to do.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search