Is Kalon just a lame name?--mini vent :)

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 25th, 2010, 06:23 AM
onelove1109's Avatar Super Mommy
Jason and I LOVE the name Kalon...but I think we are the only ones. We decided on Kalon over a month ago and people that know that are still suggesting names. His mom (who I usually absolutely adore) text me the other night and said, "What about Russell(dh mid name) Graham (my mid name). Or even Graham Russell?" I was like well we thought about that but we really like Kalon. Then she was like "Well what about Kalon Graham?" And I told her Jason seemed really excited about using his middle name as Kalon's. THEN His sister who really likes things her way sent me a text and said "How is little Callen doing"..KNOWING that we decided on K-A-L-O-N as the spelling (she tried to talk me into Callen). Also, when we decided on Kalon, she was like well make sure no one calls him Kal cus that is so lame....really? Because that was what we were planning on calling him im sure. And every time I tell someone his name they just get this "I just stepped in dog poo" look on their face..and say you made that up didnt you? or oooh thats really uh, different.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR! Is it really that bad? Honestly, I dont even care what people think. I think it is a great name and soo unique. Ive never wanted to name my children traditional names. When I first saw it I knew it was the perfect name for our little boy.

Thanks so much Jaidynsmum for my adorable siggy!

January 25th, 2010, 06:36 AM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
I don't think it sounds like a made up name at all. If it's a name that you and your DH love, don't listen to anyone else. They'll come around once they know that it's not changing. My family doesn't like our naming style, so we just keep it a secret until birth that way they won't feel the need to make other suggestions.
January 25th, 2010, 07:00 AM
CanadianLou's Avatar Laura - mom of 3
I really like Kalon too. And it does not sound made up. If you guys are happy and love it and just forget what everyone else says. Once he is here and everyone sees him and gets used to it, it will grow on them, and if not too bad. LOL

Thank you Meganpixel for the most fantastic siggy!

January 25th, 2010, 07:01 AM
JaxonsMom2010's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I actually know a little boy named Kalon. We met him this summer.

January 25th, 2010, 07:02 AM
MichelleN's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Don't listen to what they say. I think giving your baby a unique name is a neat idea. And Kalon is different. Which I think is good.
January 25th, 2010, 07:03 AM
mylene169's Avatar Kaija and Kolbie's Mommy
Send a message via AIM to mylene169 Send a message via Yahoo to mylene169
I love it! I think it's original and I love that you're using a different spelling too. But I like different names. My mom disliked Kaija Jane so much before our DD was born that she said she was just going to call her K.J. and kept asking if we would consider Elise after her grandma. And my mom isn't "like that" either... so it was pretty obnoxious. But now she couldn't see her named anything else. I'm not sure she loves either name we've picked this time, but she always gets over it
January 25th, 2010, 07:38 AM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
I love the name! We've never had anyone like our childrens names, but we just say screw it! We love them, and they aren't horrible names so don't listen to anyone else.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
January 25th, 2010, 07:52 AM
renee4152's Avatar Proud Mommy of 2!
i think it's great! don't let anybody make you second guess the name you love. my mother in law absolutely hates the name Levi, and others act like it's a bad name, but i'm not letting anybody change my mind. even my hubby isn't completely sold, but he doesn't hate it. (he gets the middle name, which is Jackson. if he wants to name him, then he can carry him for 9 months and deliver him too). anyway, don't let anybody get you down on your name choice.
January 25th, 2010, 08:01 AM
Kittynoah's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I really like the name! Stand strong! You are carrying the child, raising the child, and paying for the child! It is your right to choose whatever name you want. Your parents had their opportunity with their own children, now it is your turn. It isn't even a "weird" name. I really like it and have met a child named Kalon. Hang in there and don't let anyone change your mind!

January 25th, 2010, 08:11 AM
palmetto_moon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Do NOT cave in to your families or let them diminish your joy in a name you love. They have all had/will have thier chances to name THEIR children. This one is YOURS. This is why I won't tell anyone but you ladies if/when we make a final choice. My family is the same way yours is being. So frusterating.
The name you picked is just fine. Don't let anyone tell you differently. And as far as your SIL the risk of him getting called KAL because you named him Kalon is really no greater than the risk of him being called CAL if you named him Calon. So her argument doesn' t make much sense.
Stick to what YOU decided. If its easier, just tell them you've decided to consider few more things and then be very vauge for the rest of the pregnancy and when he's born, just announce his name. People are generally much more accepting once the baby is actually born.
WHen they send texts like that, just don't respond. Hopefully they'll get the point.

Thank you Kiliki for my awesome siggy!

visit our family blog at www.stalkedbythestork.com
January 25th, 2010, 08:18 AM
AlexasMomma's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to AlexasMomma
I love that name it was actually on MY list of boys names but the daddy didnt like it lol but we are havin a girl anyway I love it though

Thanks ashypoo03 for my gorgeous siggy!!

January 25th, 2010, 09:04 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Your childs name is just that... your childs name. People might not like it but oh well. You guys like it. I like it too (not that my opinion matters). And eventually once he gets here people will warm up to the idea.

Some people like Kalani, some people think its a cute but weird name. Me and BD love it so thats why thats her name. Even if we're not Hawaiian lol.
January 25th, 2010, 09:06 AM
esli232's Avatar Veteran
I LOVE that name! I definitely know how you feel though, I just decided I really don't care what anyone thinks of the name we choose. They can name their own kids and I'll name mine It won't stop when he's born though, I still get "oh, that's interesting" when someone asks Bonham's name. Or they say, "Bottom?", seriously people, do you REALLY think that's what I said??? LOL I also am still getting name suggestions from family after we chose Bohlin Tate for this baby. I just laugh and go on

January 25th, 2010, 09:06 AM
Shelli1981's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Shelli1981
I love it, and if you and your DH are set on using it then Dont Listen to what others Say.. At the end of the day it yours and your DHs Decision...

January 25th, 2010, 09:13 AM
TeamNick's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Honestly, I think the name is FINE. If you like it that is what matters.

We were getting a lot of negative reactions from people on our baby name. Everytime we told someone they would say "well that is different". Finally, we just started telling people we were naming her after my grandma and that he name is Isla for some reason that shut everyone up.

But I totally understand how it feels when it seems like people are judging your baby name.

Once the baby is here you really won't have to worry about it. For some reason people always come around after the birth.

Mommy to Evie and Isla Marie

January 25th, 2010, 10:16 AM
*Ashley*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I like the name too! We got that reaction from MIL too about Easton. It is none of their business and it's not like you decided to name your kid Donald Duck or anything that I could see people giving you "the look."

Thank you Katarina for my fabulous siggy!

January 25th, 2010, 10:39 AM
ShellieBenson's Avatar Veteran
I agree- tell everyone else to take a hike. Its YOUR baby!!! If someone told me they didnt like Matthew Joshua - well, I wouldn't give a rip, LOL!! Thats what WE love and choose so they can suck it up!! LOL!!!
DS - Luke
DS Matthew Joshua - born 4-19-2010
8:17am | 8lbs 8.6oz | 20 inches long

Family BLOG! http://jeremiahlukematthew.blogspot.com/
~Shellie Benson Photography~
www.shelliebenson.com
January 25th, 2010, 10:48 AM
Mrs_Hub's Avatar Veteran
I agree with everyone else. I really like the name and the fact that both you and your husband love it is all that matters. Its hard enough to get the parents to agree on it alone let alone worrying about everyone else! I would imagine one day they will look back and say they can't imagine his name being anything different anyways. I wouldn't cave

January 25th, 2010, 10:56 AM
onelove1109's Avatar Super Mommy
Aww thanks ladies! You all are right...it was a miracle Jason and I actually agreed on a name lol...worrying about everyone one else liking it is just impossible.

Thanks so much Jaidynsmum for my adorable siggy!

January 25th, 2010, 11:36 AM
lilflower
Oh seriously? Tell 'em all where to shove it. J/K. I like it too! So they are just being difficult.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search