HELLP Syndrome

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 25th, 2010, 12:46 PM
mylene169's Avatar Kaija and Kolbie's Mommy
Send a message via AIM to mylene169 Send a message via Yahoo to mylene169
This is something that is close to my heart and I want everyone to be aware of. HELLP Syndrome is something that had a major effect on my best friend at the end of her pregnancy with her daughter and is something that is now affecting her friend who is 32 weeks pregnant with twins. Luckily for my friend, it didn't present itself until she was 37 weeks pregnant and her daughter was born without complications. Our daughters are exactly 2 weeks apart and were due 5 days apart, so it was very scary for me to be 36 weeks pregnant and having my best friend call me at 7 a.m. almost a month early to tell me she was a mommy already. My plan was to call her later in the day and tell her happy birthday! (She and her DD have birthdays 1 day apart from each other) It was a very scary situation for them and us. The only cure for HELLP Syndrome is delivery of the baby. My friend's liver had begun to shut down only hours after getting to the hospital to be monitored. This isn't something that only affects unhealthy people, my friend is a chiroprator and one of the healthiest people I know. She ate perfectly, exercised, took all the right supplements and still had this happen. So please, keep an eye on your blood pressure gals! That's what ended up saving my friend and her baby! She noticed something was wrong and called her Dr. immediately. And also say a little prayer or have a little thought for her friend and her twins. Thanks.
January 25th, 2010, 01:01 PM
Max n Meghan's Mom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Mylene, what were her symptoms leading up to it? Did her doctor chart any sign of hypertension before she called the doctor that last time?

I had pregnancy induced hypertension and was put on bed rest for the last month with Max. I've been so worried about it this time around as well. So far my BP has been normal but I'm still weary.

Thank you for my beautiful siggy, *Kiliki*!Visit My Blog

January 25th, 2010, 01:26 PM
CanadianLou's Avatar Laura - mom of 3
I am wondering the same as Amy. What were her symptoms etc. This is scary. I had high liver enzymes and a fatty liver before I got pregnant. It was due to me being over weight, and they said it is common in over weight women and usually goes undiagnosed. My dr's know about all this though, but my blood pressure has been ok I guess. The highest it was was 132/82, a bit higher than normal, but they didn't seem worried at all.

Thank you Meganpixel for the most fantastic siggy!

January 25th, 2010, 01:26 PM
LIZZYI's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks for the info!

January 25th, 2010, 01:47 PM
Really, her only sign prior to being diagnosed with HELLP was higher than normal blood-pressure, but she was never even diagnosed with pre-e or hypertension or anything. At her 36 week appointment her BP was higher than it ever had been but she wasn't spilling protein or anything yet. Her OB told her to keep an eye on things and call if ANYTHING changed. Because of her chiropractic training and interest in women's health, she knew when her BP starting going up again. She also had a few other things start to happen that week - headaches, tingling in her hands (I think) that caused her to worry. When she got to the hospital the night of her birthday she was spilling protein in her urine and her BP was dangerously high. This was all just a few days after her regular check up and it was the week after Christmas. Once she was at the hospital, they did a blood panel and it was confirmed that her liver had begun to shut down and she needed to deliver her DD immediately. Her DH barely got back to the hospital and she had to have an emergency c-section under general anesthesia.

But she was never put on bed rest, never had ANY sign of anything other than just slightly high BP until 36 weeks. I don't know what her friend has had so far, I'm guessing high BP and other signs. I'm also guessing that she knew to ask to checked for HELLP due to my friend's issues with it.
January 25th, 2010, 02:02 PM
Super Mommy
tha2nks for the info!

January 25th, 2010, 03:47 PM
ChrissySTL's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks for the info...I will admit I am a little freaked out by this considering it seems like there aren't many symptoms other than high BP which is relatively common in later pregnancy!

Thank you MeganPixel for surprising me with this super cute siggy-you rock!

January 25th, 2010, 04:39 PM
krissy1989's Avatar is loving her two boys!
Can you have HELLP without having high blood pressure? I'm only wondering because I frequently experience all of the symptoms mentioned in the wikipedia page, but my BP is always low (112/59 last time I checked). The only symptom which I don't experience often is tingling in the extremities.

LoveLove
Love
LUV LOVE YOU!!
January 25th, 2010, 05:53 PM
Krissy, I don't think so. Hypertension is the main sign of there being something wrong. Once your Dr. sees your BP go high they will check your urine for protein spillage and also order a blood work-up to check your liver enzymes and platelets. But if it is a concern, make sure you bring it up to your Dr!
January 26th, 2010, 02:57 AM
krissy1989's Avatar is loving her two boys!
That makes me feel better! Thanks for sharing the info, Mylene.

LoveLove
Love
LUV LOVE YOU!!
January 26th, 2010, 05:56 AM
onelove1109's Avatar Super Mommy
Thanks for posting this! I honestly have never even heard of this. You'd think I would have seen something about it after the ridiculous amout of research ive done on every aspect of being pregnant.

Thanks so much Jaidynsmum for my adorable siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search