Tubal ligation vs. Vasectomy?

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 26th, 2010, 08:12 AM
Riley & Landon's Mommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Riley & Landon's Mommy Send a message via Yahoo to Riley & Landon's Mommy
DH & I have decided neither of us want anymore children. After the experience with Landon, I just cannot imagine being pregnant again. I don't want to experience child birth, or pregnancy, or have anymore kids, period. I know that probably sounds pretty harsh, but after all of this, I just can't fathom doing it again. I went through so much with Landon-- it was just too much.

We want to make this a permanent decision. We've tried all sorts of birth control in the past. I have lots of bleeding on the pill/shot/patch. Once on the pill I bled for 3 weeks straight and it was miserable. I thought about getting Mirena, but a friend of mine said one of her friends fell pregnant while she had it and I don't want to take any chances. As for condoms, there's more than 1 reason why I don't want to use them. First, I'm allergic to latex and we have to buy these polyurathane condoms that are super expensive, and secondly, condoms can fail. BIG TIME.

I was just wondering, between a tubal and a vasectomy, which one has the lesser fail rate? And which one would mean a quicker recovery? We want to make 100% sure that whichever one we choose, it doesn't fail years down the road. DH worries that if something happens to him (God forbid), that if I would re-marry, I'd want more children with someone else. But I can't forsee that happening, ever. He's terrified of needles, and I worry about him having the surgery and passing out.

Opinions, please?

**Thank you to BAM for this amazing siggy!!**
Whoever said, 'There's no use crying over spilled milk,' obviously didn't have a child on Alimentum

January 26th, 2010, 08:30 AM
10x_A_Mommy's Avatar formerly mom_of_8
I don't have any hard statistics on this - but based on hearing stories alone, I believe that a vasectomy has a higher failure rate than a tubal.

I too have trouble with birth control and bleeding. I bleed continuously with every pill, tried the Mirena and bled heavily non-stop for 7 months straight then finally had it removed. When we decide to make things permanant, dh will get a vasectomy due to my anxiety about operating rooms.
Tristan ~ lost 2/6/03 @ 20 weeks

January 26th, 2010, 08:30 AM
CrystalAnne's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
A vasectomy is waaaaaaaaaaaay less invasive because a tubal is an abdominal surgery. They do it laparascopically but it's still more painful with a slower recovery. My hubby and I discussed what sort of permanent measures we would take when we know we're done having babies because I have the same issues with birth control and latex allergies etc And we decided unless the last baby is a c-section and I'm opened up anyway, he would go ahead and take the plunge. If your DH has huge issues with medical procedures, though, you'll have to factor that in, and that's not something we had to worry about.
January 26th, 2010, 08:48 AM
PlasticFork's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I looked it up for you. I found that a vasectomy has a .02% failure rate. A tubal has a .1% fail rate. So, if those statistics are correct than a vasectomy would be slightly more reliable. However, there is a period there where the man still has sperm, and has to go back at some point to make sure that he is no longer producing them.

Vasectomy has a much quicker recovery rate simply because it's a much simpler procedure and is performed as an outpatient surgery.

I also found that vasectomies have no proven lasting affects, while tubals can cause painful menstrual cycles and pelvic pain.

Good luck with the decision!

January 26th, 2010, 09:06 AM
MeganMomof5's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I heard that after you get your tubes tied that you do have more painful periods, heavier bleeding etc....I've been told that it's not worth it....When we are done my husband will be getting a V because I've talked to many people and they said that it's not that bad to get done at all....GL with what you choose!

January 26th, 2010, 09:21 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Well, I had a tubal ligation, and it was very painful. The odds are really about the same. BUT- if the man follows up with his dr on his sperm checks, then the chance is really zero to none. He has to make sure that he has zero sperm count.
My DH just had his vasectomy this past Friday. I can tell you from experience that it was a way less invasive surgery, and the key to a man's healing is to stay off his feet for the WHOLE weekend. My DH's doctor has all of his surgery's at a surgery center so they can give a relaxant (Vercid) to help with the tension. It also helps with all the muscles relaxing, and therefore not being so sore. Because if they tense up, then all the muscles tense up, and it causes their recovery to be a bit more painful. His dr also told him that if the vasecomty didn't work, then it would usually happen within the first 3 months. That is usually when it grows back together.
My tubal was a big ordeal, I was put under general anesthesia, and was sore for well over a week. AND I did have heavier periods, etc. It was almost like going through pre-menopause. That is the reason I had it reversed. There is a thing called Post Tubal Ligation Syndrome, too. Not alot of dr.'s believe in it, but it's very real. I have known alot of women that have their tubes tied, to end up having this, and also end up having to have a hysterectomy on down the road, too.
It's just SO much easier for a man to have it done. LOL. Plus, they need to. After us delivering the babies.

Thank you Sara-misfitinmn-for my beautiful siggy!!

January 26th, 2010, 09:51 AM
Mega Super Mommy
OMG from everyone I've talked to, a vasectomy is no big deal AT ALL!!! It's one tiny needle and it's like a 15 min procedure ....and most men feel fine within a couple days. My SIL's husband just had one and I think a couple days afterwards they had sex cause he wanted to "get right back on the horse" haha....SUCH a simple procedure, I would def suggest that route - a tubal is invasive surgery, girl!!! My DH plans on getting a vasectomy probably sometime this late spring or summer, cause we know we are done as well after this one. Good luck!
January 26th, 2010, 09:51 AM
mommyof3now's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think it is way less invasive for guys to have it done. I have a friend that had a V and he was back to work the next day.
January 26th, 2010, 10:13 AM
Lannie's Avatar Mom to Jackson. 02/24/10
I don't have any advice, but wanted to throw in that once my husband and I are done with having children, he'll be getting a vasectomy. It's a much more simple procedure and will be better for both of us. Too many complications can happen for my liking with a tubal.
January 26th, 2010, 11:24 AM
Riley & Landon's Mommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Riley & Landon's Mommy Send a message via Yahoo to Riley & Landon's Mommy
Dusty said the same thing: Since I had to go through labor and delivery and everything else, it's only fair if he has it done. I wasn't sure what all it entailed, though and if he'd be okay afterwards. Like I said, he's not exactly manly when it comes to surgeries, or any other type of medical procedure.

I'm leaning more towards him having it done. And if he can get it done on a Friday, then he'll have all weekend to recover, like someone mentioned above.

I'll just be happy knowing we're covered, ha ha. I don't wanna' risk posting in "Am I Pregnant" anytime soon.

**Thank you to BAM for this amazing siggy!!**
Whoever said, 'There's no use crying over spilled milk,' obviously didn't have a child on Alimentum

January 26th, 2010, 09:20 PM
txmomof4's Avatar Super Mommy
My DH has had both Vasectomy and Reversal. There is a certain amount of time after the vasectomy that you can get pregnant. The healing time was about just a few days before he went back to work. A few weeks before heavy lifting. Do follow the doctors advice on BD and wait until DH has clear tests. That is were couples mess up and end up pregnant. The vasectomy was just an office visit and it was done. It is covered by insurance so our out of pocket was about 250.00.

It is much less evasive. Good Luck on your choice. Sorry I know nothing about tubal other than it is very evasive.

March 31st, 2013, 04:53 PM
I have no faith in any method of birth control other than abstinance, and Jesus is proof that even that is not 100% LOL. DH had a vasectomy nearly 3 years ago, sperm count zero, yet I find myself recovering from a surprise miscarriage. I was not ready for a 5th baby,, so i am more shocked and amazed than hurt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aribelle View Post
I have no faith in any method of birth control other than abstinance, and Jesus is proof that even that is not 100% LOL. DH had a vasectomy nearly 3 years ago, sperm count zero, yet I find myself recovering from a surprise miscarriage. I was not ready for a 5th baby,, so i am more shocked and amazed than hurt.
I should add, that from the beginning something wasn't right. up until about a month ago, he had pain in his area during our intimacy.....I joked around that perhaps something grew back, and I am eating those words today something inside me was telling me that for him, it would not be permanent.
April 3rd, 2013, 11:06 AM
Platinum Supermommy
i know this is an old post, but wanted to say that DH had a vasectomy, and all we had to pay was a $50 specialty office co-pay for his procedure, because the procedure was done in office. They prescribed him valium for anxiety to take pre-surgery,and then percocets to take for pain after surgery. it was soo simple! and my husband is a BIG baby...and almost didnt do it, last minute, because he was so scared of the pain. There was none!

His dr told him he could have sex (of course, protected) like, 3 days later or something crazy soon! he said "just make sure its 'married couple sex', not 'dating sex'.." lol
June 22nd, 2013, 03:59 PM
Veteran
Just want to add that you have a greater chance of an ectopic pregnancy with a tubal ligation. I had a ruptured ectopic pregnancy one year after my tubal procedure. Vasectomy would be the better choice of the 2, based on my personal experience.
July 5th, 2013, 04:23 AM
I heard about Vasectomy for the first time. this procedure is about my opinion is not so good.
August 6th, 2013, 06:15 AM
rebeccabaltimore and more's Avatar (rebeccabaltimore)
I had a tubal. DH didn't want a vasectomy. The surgery was easy, the recovery was quick (a weekend) and relatively pain free. I would have sooner gone with a vasectomy for DH, but the tubal was very uneventful.

Thank you Vicki for my awesome siggy!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search