28 Week checkup was TORTURE!

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 26th, 2010, 02:22 PM
CuteName's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had my 28 week checkup super early this morning, at 7:30am. Doc appt part was fine, I've only gained another 3 pounds over the last three weeks. I guess I'm probably going to gain a pound a week from here on out. If I'm lucky I'll end up closer to 25 than 30 but either of those are fine with me.

I was so stressed out about the GD test and blood work that I didn't ask questions. I don't know how I measured, but the doc said he "loves it when everything goes according to plan" because the heartbeat was good and I'm having no issues. He did mention the rash I have on my belly, but I've had little bumps on my arms and legs my whole life and they always spread to my belly when I'm pregnant so no biggie.

The Gestational Diabetes test was fun though. I drank the cup of orange funk and that really wasn't as bad as I remembered. I swear somewhere in my mind over the years that cup of drink grew to enormous proportions. I had it in my mind that it would be a HUGE amount, and not just a regular styrofoam cup of yuck.

Then I waited my hour, feeling very inappropriate reading my sleazy romance novel with all the Navy guys romping around...lol. Then came the fun part. I had them lay me down to take my blood the last time because I usually pass out. But I felt fine after, so I felt silly asking them to lay me down this time. BIG mistake. After the first vial of blood came out and they painfully popped the 2nd one in I got dizzy, and clammy, and two guys walked me over to lay down.

That didn't help. I felt worse, and got nauseous because they had me lay with my knees bent, which forced all the yuck orange stuff to creep up and I must have looked so funny with one guy taking my blood, a trash can by my side, and the other checking my arm and my head and constantly commenting on how he "didn't like my color"

I did not barf! But I got INSANELY close. They told me to just get it over with and that they were medical professionals and blah blah blah, just lean over and do it...while they're taking my blood. But I'm like Noooo I really would rater NOT get sick if I didn't have to.

I went home and immediately went to bed and napped for 2 hours. I still feel like total crap. I want to go back to bed, but I know I won't sleep all night if I do. Did the rest of you feel totally wiped out all day after your test?

I haven't heard back yet, but don't plan to call. I figure they will let me know if anything was wrong. I really don't ever want to have to do that again though.
January 26th, 2010, 02:27 PM
Super Mommy
I felt SO wiped after my glucose test!! I even looked it up and read it was normal from the sugar surge. Your body has to work hard to make the insulin to take care of it all. I just felt nasty and queasy and exhausted the rest of the day.

Glad to hear the rest of your appt went well.
January 26th, 2010, 03:13 PM
ChrissySTL's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Good to hear your appointment went great but sorry you got sick! I got sick too after the 3 hour, but I think it was from not having eaten for 18 hours and drinking that nasty stuff along with the 4 vials of blood they drew. I got sick in Borders almost fainted right there. Luckily I felt it coming and was able to sit down and have my husband grab me a piece of bread from Bread Co. before we made it to lunch. The GD test is just such a pain in the butt!!!

Thank you MeganPixel for surprising me with this super cute siggy-you rock!

January 26th, 2010, 03:39 PM
onelove1109's Avatar Super Mommy
Yayy for a great appointment!! Boo on the crappy GD test. Hoping for good results!

Thanks so much Jaidynsmum for my adorable siggy!

January 26th, 2010, 04:24 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Adrienne21
I just had mine performed today and been feeling alittle under the weather ever since...I had the drink the nasty orange drink too.

January 26th, 2010, 04:39 PM
Bosley's Avatar Hillary
Aww, sorry you had to go through that. Thankfully my glucose test went very smoothly, but I am typically a fainter, so I can totally relate to having to warn the techs to lay you down, keep an eye on you, etc. I've gotten a bit better lately but it used to be so embarassing having to make such a big fuss. Sometimes I got dizzy before they even started! (And totally passed out the one and only time I ever tried to give blood.) If it makes you feel any better, my mom got a stomach bug and fainted AND threw up in the middle of the Louvre Museum in Paris! She woke up with some totally gorgeous French policeman hovering over her and all of her yuckiness. So embarassed!!!

When I had my glucose test I was suddenly completely exhausted and I went home and napped for hours. I thought it was because I had been having a lot of insomnia in the previous days. I had no idea it was a known side-effect of the test, but that does make sense!
January 26th, 2010, 04:42 PM
becker206's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Glad everything is going great with baby! Hope your GD results come back great as well.

January 26th, 2010, 04:59 PM
ca_dawson's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Glad everything with baby is A-ok! Sorry you still feel yucky. I actually took the test today too. I had to fast and go at 10:30 am, so I was starving! I felt bad afterwards. I went to meet DH for lunch and driving over to his work (about 10 mins) I was feeling really bad and afraid I was going to need to pull over. But I made it and had a grilled cheese sandwhich and tomato basil soup and then felt fine. Actually I've had alot of energy today and went shopping and have been cleaning the house top to bottom ever since! But man that orange stuff drove little girl nuts! She was literally bouncing off the walls of my uterus!
January 26th, 2010, 06:00 PM
CuteName's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Nothing like baby's first sugar high to really get her kicking

January 26th, 2010, 06:45 PM
mylene169's Avatar Kaija and Kolbie's Mommy
Send a message via AIM to mylene169 Send a message via Yahoo to mylene169
Sounds like a pretty good appointment other than nearly getting sick after your GD test! I'm pretty sure throwing up WHILE having blood drawn is somewhere near the bottom of the list of things I'd like to do... wow.

After my 1 hr test I felt fine, but baby was going nuts in there! I thought I felt okay after my 3 hr test on Saturday. I went about my day like normal all day. But Sunday I felt like total crap. I didn't want to do ANYTHING but sleep and be gross. It finally occurred to me that I was probably coming down of the sugar high I didn't realize I had on Saturday.
January 26th, 2010, 06:56 PM
~ Christine ~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm so sorry hun! I felt terrible after the test when I had it a few weeks ago. Even after eating protein, I didn't feel any better!

I hope you feel better soon!

Forever missing our angel 8.31.07

January 26th, 2010, 07:26 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Ugh Im sorry that sounds horrible!!

Thanks Claire for my awesome siggy!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search