Donating Cord Blood

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 4th, 2010, 06:06 PM
Racine's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I just wanted to share this information with you all in case some of you have never heard of this opportunity.

Donating cord blood is extremely simple to do and can save lives. All you have to do is contact a Blood Center near you (we go through Michigan Community Blood Center) and request a donation kit. They mail you the kit and you bring it with you to the hospital when you have the baby. The hospital takes care of the rest.

When we donated Aiden's cord blood, the hospital was so excited and said that they rarely ever see people do this, which is sad because then the blood just gets treated like medical waste.

Here's a link on Baby Center with some good information on donation.

Thanks, that's my PSA for the day

Thank you, Meganpixel, for my awesome siggy!

February 4th, 2010, 06:16 PM
k8liz311's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My last hospital didn't do this.. I was happy when I found out mine does this time. And my doctor is very for it. I definitely think we're going to do it. Our hospital donates all over the world.

February 4th, 2010, 08:30 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We only have one hospital around us that does it - and not the one that we're going to, and therefore we can't do it (unless it's our own private cord blood banking). Those kits for public donation sound like a fantastic idea - unfortunately they're not over here though as far as I know. I can't believe it's something so scarcely utilised when cord blood can be such a life saver!

Thanks to Meganpixel for my beautiful siggie!
February 4th, 2010, 08:37 PM
palmetto_moon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
And, it has benefits over paying a private storage bank. If God forbid your child should ever have a sibling that needed a cord blood/ stem cell transplant, as long as the unit of cb is still there you can get it back. And you wouldn't have had to pay all those storage fees along the way.
We have our babies' cord blood collected because our ten year old has a bone marrow disease called Aplastic Anemia. He had a pretty severe case of it but thankfully is now in remission. If he relapses, his life could depend on getting a cord blood/stem cell or bone marrow transplant. The St. Louis Cord Blood Bank has collected, banked and stored all of our babies born after Brandon's diagnosis FOR FREE! In fact, my to do list for next week is to do the paperwork so they can collect this baby's cb as well. If the baby doesn't match and Brandon relapses then he'll need a transplant using the donor cells of a stranger. Either some one who has registered to donate their bone marrow on the national bone marrow registry, or from a donated cord blood unit that some parent out there in the world has graciously agreed to donate.
I know that cord blood collection is a sensitive subject for some, as often parents like for thier birth attendent to delay cord clamping so that the newborn can keep as much of his/her cord blood as possible, and many studies indeed show benefits to newborns of doing this. In our case, we specifically do the opposite becuase we need as much of that to be collected and stored as possible (if there is not enough collected then there wouldn't be enough for a transplant). IF the baby turns out to be a match for our son and he ended up needing the transplant, then making sure we had enough cord blood saved would mean that we could use it for transplant rather than having the baby donate directly from her body (obviously much less invasive).
I'm not suggesting that anyone who really wants to delay cord clamping not do so, but just wanted to say as a mom of a child who cord blood donation may one day save, I am personally very grateful to any parent willing to share this most precious gift with sick children/adults.
Thanks so much Racine for this thread.

Thank you Kiliki for my awesome siggy!

visit our family blog at www.stalkedbythestork.com
February 5th, 2010, 04:31 AM
Racine's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wow, Angela. Thank you for sharing! Children like your son are exactly the reason I will always donate my babies' cord blood! I hope he continues to do well.

My husband and I are big into donating blood ourselves, and see this is as a way of starting our children off knowing the importance of helping others.

I had no idea that you could get back the blood for yourselves, either.

As far as your hospital not doing it, I don't know a lot about that, I checked the official list and there are no hospitals near here that do it either technically, but the MI community blood center is who collects it from my hospital. So if anyone checked that list or already knows that their hospital does not collect or bank, I would suggest looking into finding a public blood center.

Thank you, Meganpixel, for my awesome siggy!

February 5th, 2010, 05:04 AM
Max n Meghan's Mom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I did it with Max. I was really easy. We filled out a simple form and I had to give an extra vial of blood for testing. Super easy and well worth it.

Thank you for my beautiful siggy, *Kiliki*!Visit My Blog

February 5th, 2010, 05:16 AM
palmetto_moon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Even if you think your hospital doesn't do it, ask anyway, if you are interested. The OB or midwife would be the one collecting it and and cord blood bank sends a courrier to pick it up. Plus the cord blood bank sends out all the paperwork.
I do know that some hopitals will not collect during a C-section or in the case of twins. They did for us, specifically because we have a sick child, but we had to fight for it.
Racine- as far as getting it back if you need it for your baby's sibling in the future, you'd probably have to ask the bank specifically. Our is the St. Louis Cord Blood Bank and they told us that if the donor family ever has a situation that arises where they need it, as long as it hasn't been already used, they can usually get it back. Not sure if there would be a fee associated with withdrawing it or not
I've heard some scary stories regarding private companies that charge really high fees for taking out the cb when needed but I don't think a public donated unit would be like that.

Thank you Kiliki for my awesome siggy!

visit our family blog at www.stalkedbythestork.com
February 5th, 2010, 06:22 AM
renee4152's Avatar Proud Mommy of 2!
i would definitely love to donate. i donate money to St. Jude here in Memphis, and i really hope that cb that we donate could help someone there, or if not, anywhere it is needed.
February 5th, 2010, 06:50 AM
CanadianLou's Avatar Laura - mom of 3
Thanks for brining this up. I've looked into it here in Canada where I live and I will be signing up to donate as well!

Thank you Meganpixel for the most fantastic siggy!

February 5th, 2010, 07:56 AM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
I've looked into it in my area and no one accepts cord blood donations here, which is stupid because it's the biggest city in the state.
February 5th, 2010, 08:04 AM
CuteName's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Great thread! I did this with my daughter and it really is the simplest thing ever. You just fill out the paperwork and they do the rest. Thanks for reminding me to see if they provide that in my area.

I know we just had a discussion about this in my Psychology class and yes it can seem controversial, but I'm all for donating something that may one day help another person. Even if the chance is slim, if the research they do can save the lives of others how amazing would that be?
February 5th, 2010, 10:03 AM
lilflower
I had no idea that you could donate it! I won't be doing it because I prefer to delay cord cutting for about an hour or so- for medical benefits to the LO, but it is interesting to hear that they have programs now! And very exciting!
February 5th, 2010, 10:11 AM
CanadianLou's Avatar Laura - mom of 3
I had no idea you could delay cord cutting. I always thought for some reason they want to cut it really quick. I guess I only got that impression from when I've seen shows on TV. The ones where the mother is giving birth not in a hospital and someone calls 911 and they always say "cut the cord or tie it off" right after the baby is born. Interesting, I'll have to look into this.

Thank you Meganpixel for the most fantastic siggy!

February 5th, 2010, 10:48 AM
lilflower
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianLou View Post
I had no idea you could delay cord cutting. I always thought for some reason they want to cut it really quick. I guess I only got that impression from when I've seen shows on TV. The ones where the mother is giving birth not in a hospital and someone calls 911 and they always say "cut the cord or tie it off" right after the baby is born. Interesting, I'll have to look into this.
Clamping the cord immediately doesn't allow the rest of the baby's blood to be transferred into his/her body often resulting in low blood sugar levels and iron deficiencies in newborns. In the US they are now placing in a standard that the cord not be clamped or cut for at least 3 to 5 minutes in order to make sure that the baby gets his/her blood and cut down on some of those problems. In case of emergencies it is still found that immediate cord clamping and cutting is necessary, but those emergencies are very rare nowadays. Here are a few links:

Cord Blood - Why Delaying Cord Clamping Benefits Your Baby

Umbilical Cord Clamping Should Be Delayed, Says Expert

Five Good Reasons to Delay Clamping the Cord - from Ronnie Falcăo's Midwife Archives

Delayed Cord Clamping Should Be Standard Practice in Obstetrics Academic OB/GYN

Early or Late Cord Clamping?

The Midwives of Bethany Womens Healthcare: Delayed Cord Clamping

Hope that helps some~!
February 5th, 2010, 11:02 AM
Platinum Supermommy
We personally delay cord clamping, as I've known a few moms who had babies that still needed the blood in the cord and the benefits. But if we didn't delay clamping then I would definitely donate it.

February 5th, 2010, 11:04 AM
mimi81's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm glad to hear I can donate it. When I asked my doctor about it she gave me a pamphlet about storing it and it's like $2000. But donating it would be awesome, I will have to check into doing that.

[IMG][/IMG]

February 5th, 2010, 12:27 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racine View Post

As far as your hospital not doing it, I don't know a lot about that, I checked the official list and there are no hospitals near here that do it either technically, but the MI community blood center is who collects it from my hospital. So if anyone checked that list or already knows that their hospital does not collect or bank, I would suggest looking into finding a public blood center.
Sorry I should have been more specific...I'm in Australia. I do live in a major city but unfortunately there is still only one hospital that collects public cord donations. The other hospitals only do them if you're paying $3000+ to privately bank the cord blood...and then it's not the hospital but the agency who arrange it all. But you never know, this was a few years ago so I could ring the blood banks now and find out if things have changed at all...

It's shocking really considering when I researched it all, I came to read that there are a lot of cases in which your child couldn't use it's own cord blood anyway (ie. many forms of leukaemia (Aust spelling))... therefore would possibly be relying a on a public cord blood donation and yet your own child's is still stored away privately... I think public donation should just be a standard thing that happens at every single birth (unless objections by parents, delayed clamping etc)... but imagine how many lives it could save if you had to 'opt OUT', rather than opt in to the program.

Thanks to Meganpixel for my beautiful siggie!
February 5th, 2010, 01:17 PM
sarah*'s Avatar Loving My Piglets
They dont do it over here for free (england) and i just don't have the money to do it

Sarah (27) married to Stuart (31)
together for 10.5 years married for 4.5 years.
mummy too....
Ryleigh (8yrs - April 24th 2006)
Rhianna (7yrs - June 7th 2007)
Lacey (6yrs - June 5th 2008)
Lucas (4yrs - April 26th 2010)
Connor (1yrs - February 15th 2013)

February 5th, 2010, 05:05 PM
Platinum Supermommy
How much does it cost to donate it? Store it?
February 5th, 2010, 05:46 PM
k8liz311's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It's free to donate it. At least here it is. It's pretty expensive to store it. I think you can pay monthly or yearly.. but I don't know the exact numbers. I'm sure you can find out more info online.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search