friends had flu - should I ban them from our Superbowl party, lol?

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 5th, 2010, 08:44 AM
sweatshirtgirl's Avatar Super Mommy
I found out from another friend that a family we invited to our Superbowl party had the flu. As late as Tuesday, they didn't feel well (the husband skipped bowling I guess). All 4 of them had it. But all I know is it's the FLU, they didn't say seasonal, H1N1, or some people call a stomach bug "the flu."

Obviously our party isn't til Sunday, but now I'm paranoid that they are still contagious. Not sure I want them in our house, but I tend to go WAY overboard on germs, so maybe I'm being silly?

I want to ask them what they had, when they got over it, but don't want to make them feel like we don't want them here because of the germs (unless it's warranted). They did email me saying they were looking forward to coming, so they must be feeling better now?

Kids and I got both flu vaccines, (kids only 1 dose though) but DH didn't get any.

What would you do?

(and I did actually email her back, and just politely slipped in there "oh, what kind of flu did you have, sounds horrible!" hoping not to sound rude.

Visit my etsy store! http://www.etsy.com/shop/drurylanedesigns
February 5th, 2010, 10:56 AM
TeamNick's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am sure they will be fine by Sunday. If it was h1n1 there is now ay they would be feeling up to email you.

there is stomach bug going around. It last about 24 hours. That is probably what they had.

They are not going to be contagious by sunday.

Have fun at your party.

Mommy to Evie and Isla Marie

February 5th, 2010, 11:15 AM
Platinum Supermommy
They had it or have it? If they had it then they're no longer in the contagious zone and it should be fine to have them there. IF they still have it I would politely ask them not to come until they're feeling 100% better.
February 5th, 2010, 05:09 PM
fibigrey's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to fibigrey
I kindof was really cautious at christmas dinner this year because my aunt and my godmother both were really ill.. neither one like to go to doctor's unelss half dead.. I was really mad that they'd come being that sick, but I just avoided them.

Since its your superbowl party, I would ask them what they had..

This is from CDC website CDC - Seasonal Influenza (Flu) - Q & A: Seasonal Influenza (Flu): The Disease
And is about seasonal flu..

"How long is a person with flu virus contagious?
The period when an infected person is contagious depends on the age and health of the person. Studies show that most healthy adults may be able to infect others from 1 day prior to becoming sick and for 5-7 days after they first develop symptoms. Some young children and people with weakened immune systems may be contagious for longer than a week."
February 5th, 2010, 10:06 PM
palmetto_moon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would just follow the general guidelines about congousness. Simlilar to what the schools expect before you send your child back to classes. I would expect that they ALL be fever free for 24 hours WITHOUT the aid of things like Tylenol or Motrin or other fever reducers
Be free of vomitting/the runs for 24 hours
Be feeling well again and symptom free.
If those things are all good then I think its fine for them to come over but if not I'd hope they would stay home.
Our kids have the 24 hour stomach bug passing around so personally, I'm being careful about not going to anyones home until I know everyone is symptom free for 24 hours and that 24 hours at least pass with no one new coming down with it. I think that is reasonable.
Could you maybe send out a mass email to all your invited guests telling them how excited you are for the Super Bowl party and then reminding everyone that with all the illnesses and virus' floating around out there, to please remember to be healthy before you visit! Maybe then you woudln't feel like you were directing it specifically to them but they'd still get the message! Good luck. I hate sticky situations like that!

Thank you Kiliki for my awesome siggy!

visit our family blog at www.stalkedbythestork.com
February 6th, 2010, 09:14 AM
Amanda C's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibigrey View Post
I kindof was really cautious at christmas dinner this year because my aunt and my godmother both were really ill.. neither one like to go to doctor's unelss half dead.. I was really mad that they'd come being that sick, but I just avoided them.

Since its your superbowl party, I would ask them what they had..

This is from CDC website CDC - Seasonal Influenza (Flu) - Q & A: Seasonal Influenza (Flu): The Disease
And is about seasonal flu..

"How long is a person with flu virus contagious?
The period when an infected person is contagious depends on the age and health of the person. Studies show that most healthy adults may be able to infect others from 1 day prior to becoming sick and for 5-7 days after they first develop symptoms. Some young children and people with weakened immune systems may be contagious for longer than a week."
If they had the real actual type A or B flu than you should follow this guideline. My DS had Type A flu last month and our pedi gave me this same rule to follow.

It also depends on if they took Tamiflu or not. If not they may be contagious longer even if they do seem to be feeling better. My ds got it and he had had 2 doses of the H1N1 vaccine and his seasonal flu vaccine so I say better safe than sorry.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search