To car or not to car

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 6th, 2010, 12:45 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Okay, this is probably going to be more of a rant than anything. We're thinking of getting a new car, I drive a Focus right now and my DH hates it and thinks it's going to be too small when the baby comes. I don't really care either way and it's paid off which is a big bonus. We looked at a couple of used cross overs this week but they didnt' pan out. My DH now thinks it would be better if we just bought new, which for some reason freaks me out. His other solution is for me to take his car (he drives an SUV) and then he gets a truck since it's cheaper than the cars we're looking at for me. I'm not sure how that makes sense though since a truck would be smaller than the car I have now. I guess I'm just stressed about the whole money thing. We can afford a new car now no problem, but we also are still paying off the new carpet we have put in and we really want to get new couches with a sleeper in it since we are anticipating more company coming to visit and no longer have a "spare" room. I think the stressful part is that once I go back to work about half of my paycheck is going to go straight to daycare so I'm just worried how are expenses are going to be with that cut it pay. Is anyone else stressing about money right now. I've always been a little OCD about stuff like this but now it's like all I think about...blah!
February 6th, 2010, 12:51 PM
Platinum Supermommy
We have always paid for our cars in full, so I'm not a ton of help. BUT I did drive a 2 door Honda Civic for over a year with Lily and it was perfectly safe and had enough room. It was a pain in the butt getting her in/out of her carseat in the backseat because I had to climb back there, but it was okay. And I'm pretty sure it had less room then a Focus does.

I would probably try just using your Focus at first and seeing how it goes with the baby in it, etc.

February 6th, 2010, 01:11 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks Shelly! We usually pay for our vehicles too so I dont like the idea of having a car payment. I personally think the Focus will be fine too, i'm going to go clean it today since it is looking kind of gross! haha
February 6th, 2010, 01:18 PM
Amanda C's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
If I were you I'd stick with the paid off car. It will be plenty big enough for the 3 of you. The only reason I have a car note now is b/c I just didn't have enough room.

I'm like you and I don't really like having car payments.

February 6th, 2010, 04:57 PM
Kittynoah's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yeah - I hate car payments. I have always paid cash for my cars - but I rolled my SUV last year and it was totalled. We knew we were planning for a family so we got a Ford Escape. Since the car I totalled was only 2 years old, we got a big payoff, but not enough for a new car! DH's truck is paid for so we have one car note.

I stress about money too - DH actually sold his motorcycle since we are having a baby and needed the extra. I would stick with the Focus and see how it goes and then you can access if you have money in your budget for a payment after day care, health insurance, diapers, etc.

February 6th, 2010, 05:14 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I too am a little freaked. We got a new car about 2 weeks before my with a huge car payment. While on maternity leave I'll be getting about 30% paycut b/c maternity leave only covers 70%. Right now BF doesnt have a job and my check does not cover all of the expenses. He's looking for another job (got laid off) and going to school so he gets the GI BIll and unemployment right now. We have our income taxes to help hold us over while on maternity leave in the event that we need it.

So yeah I'm freaked!
February 6th, 2010, 06:15 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We have only one car, a 4-door Civic, and think it'll work out just fine with a baby I think the Focus would be ok, too.

February 6th, 2010, 06:59 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Yeah I'm thinking of telling DH we should lay off getting a new car for now. His car needs a new part that's gonna cost us a couple hundred so with our tax return we were gonna use for a new car downpayment we can get his car fixed and maybe buy new couches or something instead. He has an SUV that is also paid off so if we ever go anywhere together we always go in that anyways! I know he's just being super overprotective and only wants the best for this baby but I'm worried about us getting in over our head right now.
February 6th, 2010, 07:37 PM
palmetto_moon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Personally, I would stick to the smallest, most gas efficient car I could. I say this because our family drives a big ole' 15 passenger van (because we have so many kids). I WISH I could drive something smaller and more efficient. I agree it'd be a pain in the butt to get baby in and out of the back seat but that's a small price to pay for having no car payment. I say hold off and try to make the focus work. Just my opinion.

Thank you Kiliki for my awesome siggy!

visit our family blog at www.stalkedbythestork.com
February 8th, 2010, 02:48 PM
JaxonsMom2010's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
OK. I have to be different than everyone else. I have a focus that we are trading in for a bigger car. I had the focus with my youngest and it is hard to get the carseat to fit right in the back seat no matter where you put in (middle or side) and then whoever has to sit in the seat in front has to sit close to the dash for the carseat to fit right. I am so sorry to be such a bummer. But we didn't have a good experience with our focus.

February 8th, 2010, 05:39 PM
frankie's Avatar Proud Mommy
I am not help either.. We both have new SUV's and there paid off...I hate bills.. I say try keeping what you have.. And if your focus ends up to small then you talk about.. I am sure you will be fine in the focus.. Some people dont even have cars they have to take bus.. Try not to stress about it.. I am sure your hubby will agree and understand... Now go get your couches!!!!

trying for~~~Commitment leads to action. Action brings your dream closer~~~~ Marcia Wieder
February 8th, 2010, 05:40 PM
jen*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I guess you could try it, but I'm more with Christy and wouldn't want to deal with the carseat in the little car. I used to drive a focus, but we got rid of it.

We are actually looking at getting new cars - well, we have leases right now and I've never bought (I can't BELIEVE all you girls who buy your cars outright!!! Whoa money bags!!! ) so I'm a little unsure... actually going to do a separate post about that!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search