Second Sling/Baby Carrier Post

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 6th, 2010, 04:38 PM
ChrissySTL's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I know someone just asked a question about these but I need opinions. I want to register for one but looking online I really like the more pouch style ones. I know someone mentioned that these are not safe, but is it all of the pouch style ones that are unsafe? Or just that infantino one?

I looked at the Maya and Moby wrap as well as the Ultimate Organic Baby Sling and they just aren't my style. There are 2 at BRU (where I am registered at) that I like and seem to have high ratings but I am wondering if any of you have any insight? I am looking at....

Hotslings Pouch Style Carrier - Shabby Chic (Size 3) - Hotslings - Babies "R" Us

and....

Jelly Bean Reversible Sling - Licorice Blossom (Small/Medium) - Munchkin - Babies "R" Us

Have any of you used any of these?

Thank you MeganPixel for surprising me with this super cute siggy-you rock!

February 6th, 2010, 04:51 PM
Platinum Supermommy
A bag sling, like the Infantino one that is bad, tends to have deeper sides so it almost covers baby's face. A pouch sling, like the Hotsling, is shallower so baby is able to breathe and you can see them more. I have a few friends who have a Hotsling and really like it. I have one friend who has the Jellybean Munchkin one and she finds it pretty uncomfortable, but I've never tried it myself.

February 6th, 2010, 05:01 PM
k8liz311's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had a hotsling and hated it. I never used it.. and ended up selling it. I felt like the baby was smooshed and he was never comfortable in it.
But I think some people love it..

February 6th, 2010, 07:17 PM
Racine's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I posted this in the other thread also, but when I saw you were looking at a hotsling I had to warn you....
I also did NOT like my hotsling. It was great when Aiden was older, like starting at 9-10 months and could sit up in the hip carry, but those few months of using it were hardly worth it. He hated it and it always felt like it was falling off.

I liked the look of it over the ones like the Moby, but in the long run I think a wrap is probably a better bet, I'm getting a Sleepy Wrap for this baby.

Thank you, Meganpixel, for my awesome siggy!

February 6th, 2010, 07:56 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
I had a Peanut sling which is made like a hotsling. I didn't find it very comfortable though.
February 7th, 2010, 08:40 AM
Amanda C's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racine View Post
I posted this in the other thread also, but when I saw you were looking at a hotsling I had to warn you....
I also did NOT like my hotsling. It was great when Aiden was older, like starting at 9-10 months and could sit up in the hip carry, but those few months of using it were hardly worth it. He hated it and it always felt like it was falling off.

I liked the look of it over the ones like the Moby, but in the long run I think a wrap is probably a better bet, I'm getting a Sleepy Wrap for this baby.
That's the one I've been looking at also. It's priced right and looks perfect. Do you know anyone who's actually used one?
Baby Wrap - Baby Carrier | Sleepy Wrap

February 7th, 2010, 09:00 AM
Racine's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yup, my sister has five kids and used it for four of them...she has had every carrier under the sun and the Sleepy Wrap is the one she recommended to me.

Thank you, Meganpixel, for my awesome siggy!

February 7th, 2010, 09:06 AM
Amanda C's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
When they are newborn and don't have head control do you just use the Hammock Hold method? I'm so new to this wrap thing but I definitely see the benefits.

February 7th, 2010, 10:36 AM
Brannyt's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have a jellybean munchkin, and I really like how convertible it is.

LOVE my siggy, thank you Meganpixel!!!!!!
February 7th, 2010, 12:02 PM
ChrissySTL's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Man! Now I don't know what to get! Back to square one...I might just have to settle on the Moby Wrap! It is just so much fabric! It's definitely not my style but I might just have to get over that because I do really like the idea of having a sling so I can hold baby close and get things done.

Thank you MeganPixel for surprising me with this super cute siggy-you rock!

February 7th, 2010, 12:09 PM
mylene169's Avatar Kaija and Kolbie's Mommy
Send a message via AIM to mylene169 Send a message via Yahoo to mylene169
I have a wrap style carrier and I LOVED carrying Kaija in it. She loved snuggling in close and I could pretty much cover her entirely and walk anywhere with her in it. I could also zip my coat over it when it was cooler outside and she'd be plenty warm. A guy actually stopped us on a walk one day and asked if I had cotton candy in my coat However, I will say that the one downfall of it is it's not easy for me to put on anywhere other than at home. For instance, I can't take it to the mall and put it on in the parking lot and carry my baby. When I did want to do that I'd put it on at home under my coat and then put baby in it when we got there. So that was kind of inconvenient, but overall I really loved it and can't wait to bust it out again! The first couple of times figure out how to put it on were tricky, but once I got the hang of it it only took me a few minutes. My friends thought it was weird, but once they saw how comfy Kaija and I were they were impressed! Also, if you are more slender than I am, you could always put it on and see how much extra fabric you have on the ends and trim some off so it isn't sooooo long. I personally need the length!
February 7th, 2010, 02:38 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrissySTL View Post
Man! Now I don't know what to get! Back to square one...I might just have to settle on the Moby Wrap! It is just so much fabric! It's definitely not my style but I might just have to get over that because I do really like the idea of having a sling so I can hold baby close and get things done.
Have you thought about getting a Mei Tai carrier like a Babyhawk, Ergo, or Beco? You can use them from birth on up and do a few carries with them (front and back). They're really comfortable as well and some have buckles instead of ties (Ergo and Beco are buckles, Babyhawk is a tie) and less fabric.

I love my Babyhawk, I sold my Moby, and I have a Balboa sling but I haven't used that much. I'm debating between a Beco and an Ergo right now as well.

Here's a few links: Babyhawk

Ergo

Beco

February 9th, 2010, 06:50 AM
Mrs_Hub's Avatar Veteran
You can also check out thebabywearer.com. There's a reviews database for many different brands/styles of carriers.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search