Breast Pump Question

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 6th, 2010, 06:00 PM
ChrissySTL's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I plan to breastfeed until I go back to work in August, at that point I plan to stop. I want to have a breast pump on hand for anytime my mom babysits or so DH can feed the baby if I am producing enough milk to pump some every once in a while.

So I don't plan to use it a lot or when I go back to work, but I do want to have one. Anyone have any advice? I know they have single electric ones but I also read some manual ones aren't bad either. I am clueless when it comes to this, I just know I dont want to spend over $100 on a pump.

Thank you MeganPixel for surprising me with this super cute siggy-you rock!

February 6th, 2010, 06:15 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I think it can depend on your milk supply. I had trouble using a manual pump, however my SIL easily used her manual pump and got loads of milk. I needed an electric pump to be able to express with any success... I didn't start to express until I returned to work when ds was 8 months old so I guess my milk supply was suited to just what he needed and maybe that's why I had more trouble with a manual...not sure...

Thanks to Meganpixel for my beautiful siggie!
February 6th, 2010, 07:32 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
I've never tried a manual pump before. If you don't want to spend a lot, then I would at least recommend getting a single electric. Double electrics would be a major time saver though.

February 6th, 2010, 08:02 PM
k8liz311's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had the avent single manual pump. It was a decent pump.. but would take awhile (about 20 minutes) and I could never get a lot out. Maybe 3oz at a time if I was lucky. I didn't pump often.. but it was only $50 and it was good for what I needed it for. If you think you'll be using it often, then maybe electric would be a better fit.

February 6th, 2010, 08:05 PM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
Honestly, it's not worth the money to buy a pump if you aren't going to buy a good one. And the good ones cost a lot. Spending $50 on a pump that isn't going to work well is a waste of money, spending $200 on a pump that works is a much better investment.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
February 7th, 2010, 12:41 AM
I was just reading the reviews at BRU of the Medela Harmony manual pump and it had great reviews. Pretty much everyone said they were really happy with it and it was perfect for someone like me who will only want to pump a couple times a week if that. It has 4/5 stars based on almost 300 reviews and it is $34.99. I'm going to try that one out I think. If I hate it then I will just go pumpless... $200+ is not worth it to me whether it is a great pump or not. I just would never use it enough to justify spending that kind of money.

February 7th, 2010, 07:29 AM
TeamNick's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I never had any luck with the manual pump. I hope you have better luck!

Mommy to Evie and Isla Marie

February 7th, 2010, 07:31 AM
I hope so too! We shall see

February 7th, 2010, 11:22 AM
niema's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to niema
This post just reminded me I have to continue my search for breastpumps. I've never tried a manual one but had a single electric pump from Evenflo last time for about $50. I wanna get a better one this time though and Im willing to spend about 150 bucks on it. I wanna look around for great deals first before I make the plunge.
February 7th, 2010, 11:33 PM
niema's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to niema
Woohoo, I just bought my breast pump. I got the Medela Single Deluxe electric breastpump for 60 dollars. It has mixed reviews but Im not gonna go off of those. It looks pretty simple and I doubt if im gonna double pump (which I never did with my son), plus it has less pieces to clean, unlike my last one.

Last edited by niema; February 7th, 2010 at 11:42 PM.
February 8th, 2010, 04:49 AM
Kittynoah's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Chrissy, check with your insurance. I have Anthem through the district and they will pay for a manual pump. Your doc just needs to write a script and then you go to a "provider" store (one of those medical supplies that are on their list). The one on winghaven near 40 is a provider. Then you would have a free manual pump. Not sure if anything is covered on GHP - but I imagine it is similar.

February 8th, 2010, 07:29 AM
Dang! I have GHP.....how do I figure this out? Call them? I am so clueless when it comes to anything involving insurance! But thanks for the info. I will check into it.

February 8th, 2010, 08:11 AM
Kittynoah's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I just called the phone number on the back of my card. Try that.

February 8th, 2010, 08:28 AM
JaxonsMom2010's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I really liked my Advent manual. I used it with my youngest two and will be getting another one this time around. I never had any problems getting milk out either. In fact, sometimes I would overflow the 9 oz bottle that came with it.

I think it just depends on what works for you and your situation.

February 8th, 2010, 08:32 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I have the Medela Swing and Medela Harmony. I'm a SAHM so I didn't want to spend hundreds on a pump. The hospital gave us the harmony after I delivered Kellan and it worked great for me...I did have a large milk supply. I usually pumped about 6 ounces in 10 minutes.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search