Question on kick counting

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 7th, 2010, 09:44 AM
CanadianLou's Avatar Laura - mom of 3
So when you do kick counting are you suppose to be able to pick any hour and count 10 movements? There should be 10 movements in every hour of everyday?

I always freak myself out because when I wake up in the morning I'm not sure how long it's been since the baby moved. Like last night I went to sleep at 8pm. I woke up breifly at 10pm and felt the baby move then, but since I woke up about 1 hour 30 mins ago (8:15 am) I have only felt 2 movements. After the first half hour of poking at my belly and nothing, I decided to get something to eat. I ate and layed back down and I had 2 movements that I could feel.

I cannot seem to find a defined pattern of when this baby moves. I guess mostly in the evening. But sometimes I wake up to lots of movement, or at least some. The mornings I wake up to nothing I get freaked out. Usually by the afternoon the baby is moving away. But that is why I wanted to ask the question about 10 movements per hour.

Thank you Meganpixel for the most fantastic siggy!

February 7th, 2010, 09:47 AM
Amanda C's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm not sure about that either. My baby moves a lot but doesn't necessarily kick.

When I was pregnant the first time I had to have NST's b/c of my blood pressure and it picked up way more movements than I ever felt so now I get really confused. I don't trust my own judgement as far as movement goes.

February 7th, 2010, 10:00 AM
MichelleN's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My doctor told me to do the kick counts when the baby is normally active. For example, my little one is active first thing in the morning and then after dinner and all night long. She's not too active in the afternoon. I might feel 1 or 2 kicks. My doctor says to worry if she were not to move in the evening like she normally does. So go based on her schedule. I know it's hard to not worry. I'm a super worrier.
February 7th, 2010, 10:05 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Not every hour---just in times when the baby is typically active. If you have trouble with that, they say try counting after a meal or something sugary. The rule I've heard is 10 kicks in an hour at 3 instances during the day.

February 7th, 2010, 10:32 AM
Oh ok, that makes more sense. I kept thinking maybe it was 10 movements every hour and I definatly wasn't feeling that.

Thanks Ladies!

February 7th, 2010, 12:07 PM
Platinum Supermommy
My doc also told me to do it during the baby's most active time during the day.
February 7th, 2010, 08:42 PM
fibigrey's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to fibigrey
I was told to do my kick counts 3 times a day, after each meal (breakfast, lunch, dinner) and if I ever had a concern, to either drink a big glass of OJ, or soda, or eat a candy bar and lay on my side for 1 hour and count.. Babies should always be more active after meals, they should also startle to loud noises, but I havn't noticed this..

I too actually just had a NST a few days ago because I was concerned about movement, and she was moving more than I thought she was! They also will use this buzzer on your belly to see if the baby startles to sound/sharp vibration.
My husband sometimes feels things now that I don't notice because I am more accustomed to her hard pushing/roles, etc, not the little taps so much anymore.
February 7th, 2010, 09:44 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I also heard when the baby is the most active, like in the evenings or after a meal. I havne't really been kick counting though, unless I don't feel anything for quite a whiile then I"ll eat something and lay down and count. As long as I"m feeling things throughout the day I'm gonna leave it at that, otherwise i'll just be stressing all the time since I dont feel alot of movement as it is because of my placenta.
February 7th, 2010, 10:06 PM
ChrissySTL's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I haven't been doing kick counts. My doctor has never mentioned it to me and he always sits with us for atleast 10 minutes at each appt. and talks to us about a lot of stuff. He is extremely thorough-one of the reasons we love him as a doctor. If he hasn't told me about it I am assuming it is ok to not do them. I just pay attention to his movements throughout the day and make sure I am feeling him. I also listen to his HB nightly on my prenatal heart monitor which I love. I would be a nervous wreck without it. I have learned though that he moves a lot and I don't always feel it. My past couple of US's the technician will see movement as ask me if I felt it and half the time I don't! It may be due to my anterior placenta or who knows, but I try not to worry!

Thank you MeganPixel for surprising me with this super cute siggy-you rock!

February 7th, 2010, 10:21 PM
emmabear's Avatar Super Mommy
I was wondering this too! When I was at the hospital this past week, I had a fetal monitor on and the baby was moving all around like crazy, but I couldn't feel most of it. I feel him often but I don't know if it's ten times an hour. I also don't feel a difference if I eat or have sugar. He doesn't seem to be active at any certain time of day, it's just different days that I notice more movement than others.

Emily

www.themodernmommy.com
February 8th, 2010, 07:03 AM
My doctor has never mentioned kick counting either, but I was just getting worried because I knew that it was 10 movements in an hour, I just didn't realize it was only 3 times a day. I am still trying to figure out what makes my baby active too, I can't tell any kind of routine or after I eat something certain etc. But I will worry less knowing I don't have to feel 10 movements every hour.

I too have an anterior placenta, and I didn't with my first DD and I can really tell a difference and so can DH. There is not nearly as much noticable movement.

February 8th, 2010, 07:29 AM
ChrissySTL's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am hoping my with next I will not have an anterior placenta and I can see how different it is. I'm feeling a lot more movement over the past couple weeks but earlier on when everyone was feeling a lot, like 22-26 weeks, I wasn't and it scared me b/c I didnt even know at that time that I had an anterior placenta, didn't find out until a little over a week ago when the tech at my 3d told me. I was wondering why my doc. never mentioned it, especially after I told him I was concerned about lack of movement. So at my last appt. I told him what she said and I could tell by his response that he doesn't really believe that having an anterior placenta has anything to do with feeling or not feeling as many kicks, I don't know why.

Thank you MeganPixel for surprising me with this super cute siggy-you rock!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search