Soo bummed :(

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 8th, 2010, 08:26 AM
onelove1109's Avatar Super Mommy
So we are about 98% positive that hubby wont be home for the birth, but we have been holding on to hope he would be able to see it via web cam. Today I finally got a hold of the organization Freedom Calls (they drive to wherever you are delivering and set up everything in the delivery room so your s/o can "be there for the birth") but got bad news. Apparently the military thinks they provide plenty of ways for video conferencing (uh...like what?) so they have stopped funding Freedom Calls, which has resulted in them having to take their satellites down So there goes our little bit of hope that he could see the birth.

And I just want to throw in this little tid bit of info...There have been (so far) 4 guys that have gotten to go home for what I consider absolutely ridiculous reasons (ie:a guy found out his wife was cheating, and he needs to go home and "take care of things") But they cant let new daddys come home to see the birth of their children...because that isn't important right? Even if it is just for a week..or even just to see the birth and go back. Grrrrr..love the benefits,hate the job.

Thanks so much Jaidynsmum for my adorable siggy!

February 8th, 2010, 08:30 AM
Mrs_Hub's Avatar Veteran
oh that is a bummer! Can you set up a regular webcam from a laptop for him and connect using skype or something? I dont know how much access he has to the internet...

February 8th, 2010, 08:34 AM
We thought about that but hospital doesn't have wireless internet for the rooms

February 8th, 2010, 08:34 AM
~Claudia~'s Avatar mommy to Nico & Seba
that is a bummer I agree with PP, if you have a laptop with a webcam you can set it up and connect to skype, it works great!

most hospitals offer wi-fi and if not you can always dial up through the hospital phone... not the best/fastest connection but better than nothing...

I hope you find a solution!

do you have data included in your mobile phone contract? you can always connect your laptop to the phone and tether internet from there...
February 8th, 2010, 08:38 AM
mylene169's Avatar Kaija and Kolbie's Mommy
Send a message via AIM to mylene169 Send a message via Yahoo to mylene169
That's ridiculous I'm sorry! I guess I've always assumed that any soldier can go home for the birth of his child... I'm sorry!
February 8th, 2010, 08:54 AM
dbarney's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That sucks. That happened to our neighbor about 2 months ago. She just ended up recording it with a video camera and sending him a DVD of the birth. I really hope that you can find a way.

February 8th, 2010, 09:04 AM
ChrissySTL's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am so bummed for you! I really cant believe that! And to hear that other husbands have been able to go home for reasons that don't seem as significant as having a child!

Thank you MeganPixel for surprising me with this super cute siggy-you rock!

February 8th, 2010, 09:10 AM
Well I guess there is some hope. I called Labor and Delivery and spoke with the director this time (which I should have done last time) She said they allow webcams in the room before and after the birth but not during the actual birth. She said they "Kinda" have wireless internet (how do you kinda have it? lol) And it can take an hour or so to set up and sometimes it doesnt work. But she said as soon as I get there to let them know my situation and they will try everything they can to get it setup. So yayyy! I do have a bit of hope left

February 8th, 2010, 09:23 AM
niema's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to niema
That so sucks that hubby cant be there in person for the birth. Im hoping things turn out right with the webcam. ((HUGS))
February 9th, 2010, 07:05 AM
Mrs_Hub's Avatar Veteran
Glad to see there is some hope! How much longer will he be deployed for? I saw an episode of the baby story where the husband couldn't be home for the birth but he happened to call just as she was about to deliver so he was on the phone with her through it all. I bawled! My husband was deployed twice and it was hard enough. Can't imagine how you feel with a baby on the way!

February 9th, 2010, 07:11 AM
Amanda C's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Aw that's too bad that he can't be there.

Hopefully they will work with you though and he can still see it via webcam.

February 9th, 2010, 07:30 AM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
Hopefully the connection will work while you're in the hospital. That's great that they will be so accomodating for you. I'm sorry your DH won't be there in person!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search