I hate feeling like I can't buy anything...

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 8th, 2010, 10:57 AM
krissy1989's Avatar is loving her two boys!
Every time I want to buy something, I remind myself (or, more likely, someone else reminds me) that I should wait till after the baby shower to see what I get. I know that this would be the most financially responsible thing to do, but every single time we're out at the store, I hate leaving the baby section without picking something up. Not to mention that it's stressing me out that I can't start on the nursery until after the baby shower (which isn't till March 21st!!) since we don't have ANYthing for it yet (just some clothes and a couple other pretty much useless items).

We'll probably pick up the crib this Friday with income tax, but that's not going to help me very much... I just feel so unprepared, like it's not going to get done! We need soooo much stuff, and I'd like to already have my diaper bag and such ready to take to the hospital, even though I won't need it for (hopefully) at least 10 more weeks. I need it because it will help me feel more mentally and emotionally prepared, know what I mean?

I just wish I could buy everything I want NOW, but I know that waiting to see what I get is better since it'll leave us with more money to buy anything else we need.

Ugh. Anyone else in the same boat, or are you lucky enough to be able to indulge?

LoveLove
Love
LUV LOVE YOU!!
February 8th, 2010, 11:05 AM
crystal22's Avatar Veteran
I feel like that too I really want to get everything and get it all set up but I'm waiting on my showers and since they won't be until march and the first week of april it kind of stresses me out a little bit. I'm also waiting on our crib and dresser bc my in-laws are purchasing those and so I don't want to be like so when are we going to get it but I'd love to go ahead and get it bc I know DH and it will sit there for 3 weeks before he puts it together.
February 8th, 2010, 11:06 AM
DondraB's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I felt the same way with my first! What really got to me was we were moving from Cali back to Tx 5 weeks after Kinley was born....so her crib, changing table, crib bedding, mattress, etc were all in the garage in boxes until we moved home! I could only set up the pack-n-play, swing, bouncer, small things before she was born.

This time around, we are definately more finacially stable, where I don't feel bad if I do go buy something for Karsyn. I am using all of Kinley's clothes from when she was a baby---so I want Karsyn to have some of her own, new clothes. We still need a crib mattress, which I could easily go buy myself, but I want other people to have the opportunity to buy things that we actually need ( since we only need the mattress, sit-n-stand stroller, extra carseat base and diapers...I'll be having a small shower and a diaper shower). So instead of buying the big things I need, I buy all the cute little things that will tide me over until I get the other things! lol

This is what I do though....if it is under $5, I can justify buying it for baby......BUT if I were you-I would buy things YOU need. Like breast pads, breast pump, breast cream, things you will need if you are planning on breastfeeding. Buy yourself a new outfit to come home in--because you will be taking LOTS of pictures the day baby comes home! Once baby gets here, you won't buy yourself anything-you'll only be buying baby stuff....so take the opportunity to go out and get a mani/pedi, get your hair done, get a massage, buy a new purse/shoes, etc..something that makes you feel good.....I don't even know when my last pedicure was! lol

February 8th, 2010, 11:07 AM
homeschooling mom of 2
I guess I'd say I'm unlucky enough to indulge, don't get me wrong I love picking things out for her and getting everything ready but I'd also love if I was having a big shower and getting nice gifts too since that's always fun. I'm having a very small shower (5 or 6 ladies, friends but noone super close so I don't expect more then a few outfits, diapers, blankets) so I've had to buy everything myself.

What if you bought things at places that have good return policies and keep the receipts and tags on in case you need to take them back, if not you'll have them. Kohls has a never ending policy, Target 90 days, BRU is probably good too. That way you can feel like you're more prepared and have the items, but if you get more at your shower you can just return them? Plus theres some things you almost can't have to much of, like crib sheets, blankets for swaddling, onesies or sleepers, etc.
February 8th, 2010, 12:21 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm in the same boat. Luckily though we have some of the things that we need already like crib, bassinet, bouncer, high chair and a few outfits (that I bought upon finding out she was a girl. But I want to buy so many other things. My shower is in 2 weeks, 3 weeks and 5 weeks (35 weeks). So I wont be able to know what I can or cannot buy until after 35 weeks (UGHHH!!!). I'm praying that I dont have to buy anything besides a few cloth diapers.
February 8th, 2010, 12:29 PM
ShellieBenson's Avatar Veteran
Oh my gosh I totally understand!!!! My hubby said the SAME THING about waiting until after my showers...I am having 2, one for my friends and church told me yesterday they are throwing me one too! Sooooooooo, I felt like I couldnt buy anything.

Well I told my hubby a month ago I dont want anyone buying me anythign BIG...this is our 3rd baby...but its been 8 years since I was pregnant last so we are starting from stratch!! We can totally buy all of the big important stuff, so 2 weeks ago we got the travel system and changing table and next we will get the swing...but all the "little stuff" I can't buy - other than just a handful of outfits I found on clearance I'd be dumb to pass up, LOL!

SOOOO, I have been really focusing on the stuff I GET to buy and waiting for all the other stuff until after my showers. I must be nesting becuase I just want it done so I can relax and walk in his room and know its done and waiting!

...a friend brought me 5 BOXES of clothes this week...its all GREAT stuff, so this week I get to go thru it and wash and sort. That will be so fun for me. Alot of it is 12-24 months so I'll just store it for now, but it will be nice to have SOME clothes and towels and shoes before my showers!!!

I finally now feel much more relaxed - but 3 weeks ago I was sooooo stir crazy. Ask my husband I would wake up at 6am and shake him and tell him how we needed to get stuff " in case he comes early!!!" hahaha!!
DS - Luke
DS Matthew Joshua - born 4-19-2010
8:17am | 8lbs 8.6oz | 20 inches long

Family BLOG! http://jeremiahlukematthew.blogspot.com/
~Shellie Benson Photography~
www.shelliebenson.com

Last edited by ShellieBenson; February 8th, 2010 at 12:33 PM.
February 8th, 2010, 01:22 PM
fibigrey's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to fibigrey
ditto I hate it!!!
February 8th, 2010, 01:31 PM
Kittynoah's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm in the same boat. All we have is the crib (free from a relative) and a changing table (free on craigslist). My sister got us a glider chair for Christmas and my folks bought the travel system. But I have no diapers, clothes, blankets, sheets, nothing! It is actually a relief to wait till the showers because then I don't feel so upset about the finances and I don't feel the "pressure" to get it all done now. I keep telling myself - I can wait till after the showers. And I am having 3 showers so I know I will get lots of things.

I also try to remind myself that I have a lifetime to buy cute things for my son and he won't even know what he is wearing or playing with for quite awhile. As long as I have a carseat, a place for him to sleep, some diapers and my boobs - he will be set. The rest is gravy!

February 8th, 2010, 01:32 PM
ChrissySTL's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I understand how you feel! My mom has been spoiling me though and she bought us our crib and chest a few months ago so we had that set up and ready to go. She also surprised us at Christmas with our glider and my MIL has given us little things here and there. We already had one shower so I am feeling pretty good, but I cannot wait until my big shower on the 27th because after that we will be able to buy anything we didn't get and still need.

Thank you MeganPixel for surprising me with this super cute siggy-you rock!

February 8th, 2010, 07:01 PM
mylene169's Avatar Kaija and Kolbie's Mommy
Send a message via AIM to mylene169 Send a message via Yahoo to mylene169
I feel like I can't buy anything either and we're not having a shower this time Especially now that we know we're having another girl, DH has really said no shopping! I'm irritated to say the least... I bought a onesie that says Little Sister for $5 and a dress for $7 and DH threw a fit. Luckily we get our tax refund this week/early next and I'll get my glider and we'll pick up some diapers. DH has a long weekend off again and we'll paint and get the room all set and I'll get the laundry done and put away. But I'd still like some new, unstained things for this baby!!
February 8th, 2010, 08:20 PM
krissy1989's Avatar is loving her two boys!
I'm glad I'm not the only one! We have a ton of baby clothes already, so I'm actually not in any need for those. We also have a vibrating bouncer, floor playmat, and stroller. I don't know why, though, but that's not good enough. Like someone else said, I want to walk into the nursery and see it done and waiting for Caleb's arrival. The diaper bag is something that I just need though. LOL. I'll keep the receipts.

LoveLove
Love
LUV LOVE YOU!!
February 8th, 2010, 08:39 PM
k8liz311's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well I'm not even supposed to know about my shower. I found it written in my DH's planner.. a surprise baby shower. So there are things I want.. things I need but I'm really trying to hold off. And I don't know if I should register somewhere. I don't want people to know that I knew about the shower.. but I want to get the things that I want and need. Not a bunch of random stuff. Dilemmas!!

February 9th, 2010, 04:56 AM
Mrs_Hub's Avatar Veteran
Me too! My "surprise" shower is not until March 20th, 2 weeks before I am due and I am going out of my mind. DH wants me to hold off on as much as I can until after mostly for financial reasons. So Im hoping to at least get some baby clothes and order cloth diapers soon with our tax refund. I did finally get him to clean out all of all of our stuff from the baby's room and put it into storage. So I'll be able to paint it soon and start putting together the crib and things that we do have. Hopefully that will keep me content until March 20th

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search