When someone asks "how far along are you", what's your response?

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 8th, 2010, 11:32 AM
Love_the_Shoes's Avatar Love my girls!!
Today this lady asked when I was due, and I said "first week in April" and she said "wow, you have a ways to go" (not being mean I don't think). But I really don't feel like I have a "ways to go". I mean, maybe physically, yes, but I feel like I'm SOO CLOSE. I want credit darnit!!

So now I'm thinking of maybe saying "eight weeks". My girlfriend said to say "5 weeks until I'm full-term" to make me feel better. Maybe I will do that. But then they will ask "What's full term", I just know it.

Or, maybe her comment was on the rude side, and this possibly was my first rude comment regarding pregnany from strangers. She did look at my belly when she said "Wow, you have a ways to go".

...maybe I will dye my hair jet black, wear heavy black eye makeup, buy a spike necklace and put a ton of white powder on my face and wear a t-shirt that says "Marilyn Manson is my idol" and scare people so they never come and talk to me--therefore the rude comments will diminish...hmm...

February 8th, 2010, 11:43 AM
homeschooling mom of 2
I know how you feel, saying 8 wks for some reason sounds like a lot as does saying first weekend in april (and techincally that's not even my actual due date, but I'm having a c-section so baby will come at 39wks) and I don't feel like I have that much more and want people to realize I'm in the home stretch. Honestly I don't think most people who ask even really care or think about it...its just sort of what you say to a pregnant woman "when are you do, what are you having?" I've been saying "first week in april if she stays put that long" which if someone said to me would make me realize, April sounds far off but its not really... especially if you're pregnant LOL
February 8th, 2010, 11:55 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I say "I just started the 8th month" or "I have about 8.5 weeks left"

February 8th, 2010, 12:18 PM
ShellieBenson's Avatar Veteran
I, too, hate when people say I have a way to go...I feel like Im 3rd trimester so it's almost over!!! ...When people say that to me I say "Nope, I'm nearly done!" LOL!!
DS - Luke
DS Matthew Joshua - born 4-19-2010
8:17am | 8lbs 8.6oz | 20 inches long

Family BLOG! http://jeremiahlukematthew.blogspot.com/
~Shellie Benson Photography~
www.shelliebenson.com
February 8th, 2010, 12:19 PM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
I just state in weeks, "I'm over 26 weeks".
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
February 8th, 2010, 12:30 PM
J-V221's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I just say I'm due in April since most don't understand the weeks or even the months as we are pregnant for 10. I've been told "you don't even look like you are that far". I just think k whatever and shrug it off, what do they know?!
February 8th, 2010, 12:50 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I just say that I have 10 more weeks to go! I take it as an insult when people say that April is so far away. But some people say "Ohh thats right around the corner".
February 8th, 2010, 12:57 PM
Jannell's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I usually say how many weeks along I am. It sounds like a long time 29 weeks! lol.
February 8th, 2010, 12:59 PM
dbarney's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I tell them 8 weeks. I get the "you don't look that big" all the time. So even if I say anything they still all say the same thing. And yes I"M ALMOST DONE!!!

February 8th, 2010, 01:02 PM
ChrissySTL's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It depends on who I am talking to...sometimes I tell them how many weeks along I am and other times I say I am due in the beginning of April.

I see you are back! How was your shower?! I was wondering where you have been!

Thank you MeganPixel for surprising me with this super cute siggy-you rock!

February 8th, 2010, 01:14 PM
Amanda C's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I just say I'm 31 weeks.

February 8th, 2010, 01:18 PM
Max n Meghan's Mom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I either say the weeks, month or April. Most people will think you have less if you say 8 months (starts at 32 weeks), because they don't realize that by the time you give birth it's been closer to 10.

Thank you for my beautiful siggy, *Kiliki*!Visit My Blog

February 8th, 2010, 01:21 PM
fibigrey's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to fibigrey
When they ask when i'm due I say early April, that usually is followed by "April what" but I will be full term in March dangit lol. If they ask how far along I am I say "almost 8 months" that makes me feel better lol

I know how you feel.. I was registering for my baby shower a few weeks ago, and everyone in the baby section felt the need to give their opinions on EVERYTHING "you dont need a baby tub, we just shower with ours!" good.for.you, but anyways, this girl asked when I was due, I said april, and she goes "wow thats a long time." it made me feel bad
February 8th, 2010, 01:29 PM
palmetto_moon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I just say the number of weeks I am. It doesn' really bother me when people say things like "That's right around the corner" or "Oh that's still a ways away". People naturally have different perceptions of what consititues around the corner or still a ways away.
Even for me, it feels different on different days. Sometimes I feel like this pregnancy is flying by and April 20th will be her before I cna blink. But other times I relax a bit and think, "yeah, I still have plenty of time." Everyone thinks differently so I dont think that people are usually trying to be negative when they say they think we still have a while- plus, since its not THEM that is pregnant it probably does seem further out. WE that are preggo, realize how fast these 7-8 months have already flown by! So its approaching fast to us!

Thank you Kiliki for my awesome siggy!

visit our family blog at www.stalkedbythestork.com
February 8th, 2010, 01:41 PM
mimi81's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
This just happened the other day. Someone asked when I was due and I said April and they were like Oh you're so small! Which then freaks me out because now I feel like something's wrong. But I went to the Dr. and I'm fine, so I just have to ignore any comments. I am gonna start saying about 8 weeks left though because it does make it seem closer.

[IMG][/IMG]

February 8th, 2010, 02:30 PM
emmabear's Avatar Super Mommy
I guess it's better that people comment on how small we are instead of saying "wow, you're huge, are you sure you're not due sooner than april?"

I just say I'm 7.5 months.

Emily

www.themodernmommy.com
February 8th, 2010, 02:36 PM
JaxonsMom2010's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have just been telling people how many weeks.

February 8th, 2010, 02:46 PM
sarah*'s Avatar Loving My Piglets
i say how many weeks i am, but it does not bother me either because i have said plenty of times to people who are pregnant "oh you have ages to go" but i dont mean it in a horrible way

Sarah (27) married to Stuart (31)
together for 10.5 years married for 4.5 years.
mummy too....
Ryleigh (8yrs - April 24th 2006)
Rhianna (7yrs - June 7th 2007)
Lacey (6yrs - June 5th 2008)
Lucas (4yrs - April 26th 2010)
Connor (1yrs - February 15th 2013)

February 8th, 2010, 03:35 PM
CuteName's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That's a good question. THis girl at a gas station asked me that last night, and then followed it up by saying "I'm pregnant too, but not showing yet...I'm due in October". I tried hard not to laugh at her because she was young...lol.

The months confuse me though. That online pregnancy week/month converter says I've completed 6.8 months. So I'm 7 months? And I only have two left?

I usually just say I'm due in the middle of April. The correct "terminology" confuses me.
February 8th, 2010, 04:39 PM
SerendipitysChild's Avatar Super Mommy
I now say 32 weeks because a couple weeks ago I told someone in the store that I was due at the beginning of April, they balked at my belly and said "Wow you still have a long way to go!!" I had a hormonal moment and nearly burst into tears at the store!!! All I could think was"Lady, I've made it through 30 weeks of ups and downs YOU would not believe!!! I am looking at a finish line 10 weeks away which is a mere blip considering!!! So put that in your juice box and suck it!!" (I didn't actually say any of that but MAN I wanted too!!! lol) I tried saying 8 weeks left yesterday and the woman exclaimed about how I was nearly there!! That comment actually made me feel panicked because I'm not ready yet LOL I GIVE UP!!!

Thank You Jaidynsmum for my fabulous fall siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search