If baby is fully baked at 37 weeks...

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 8th, 2010, 12:02 PM
..Penelope..'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
then why can we stay pregnant for a few more weeks?

Just curious if there is any actual known reason...

Missing our angel baby since Feb 7, 2009

Visit
BeaMade for unique, adorable, high quality handmade crochet hats and booties, velcro free soother clips and soft sole baby boots.
February 8th, 2010, 12:10 PM
homeschooling mom of 2
Baby isn't necessarily fully developed by 37wks, just statistically speaking most babies are fully ready for life on the outside... some might still have some lung developing to do and require oxygen as some at 40wks might even. Most babies are born though on their own sometime between 37-41 (or even 42 but its pretty rare to let a pregnancy go that far now I believe)... so it's said they are full term at 37wks. Plus I think it makes us crazy ready to be done being pregnant already mom's feel better to think they might come at 37 instead of 40+
February 8th, 2010, 12:13 PM
ShellieBenson's Avatar Veteran
My Dr says they want to make sure his/her lungs are fully delevoped in case your due date is not completely accurate whihc apparently happens alot. You can go earlier if you have an amnio and they check the lungs(...but I am not a fan of Amnio's, and they have risks & wont get one!!)

However my youngest was 2 weeks early and a perfectly perfect baby - with no steriod injections for his lungs before! If I make it to 37 weeks, bring on the baby!
DS - Luke
DS Matthew Joshua - born 4-19-2010
8:17am | 8lbs 8.6oz | 20 inches long

Family BLOG! http://jeremiahlukematthew.blogspot.com/
~Shellie Benson Photography~
www.shelliebenson.com
February 8th, 2010, 12:22 PM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
38-42 weeks is actually considered normal gestation. When you conceive you are already 2 weeks pregnant. Thats why there is a range as to when you are due, 2 weeks before and 2 weeks after your due date is considered normal. 37 weeks is when the baby is considered safe without major complications.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
February 8th, 2010, 12:25 PM
dbarney's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
DS so born at 37 weeks and 3 days. and everything was fine. He even showed signs of being 40+ weeks but WE know for sure of his due date and everything.

February 8th, 2010, 12:28 PM
Mega Super Mommy
It probably factors in the difficulty in knowing the conception date (very outdated formula), difference in growth rate across babies, and an evolutionary advantage to having a little more fat on their bones.

February 8th, 2010, 01:23 PM
palmetto_moon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Every baby isn't fully baked at 37 weeks. An average pregnancy is between 38-42 weeks (caluclating from the first day of your last period as the start) If left alone, some babies may healthfully make thier appearance a little before or after those parameters and be just fine. As far as the magical date of "37 weeks" that may be the point at which the medical community considers full term- and indeed, most babies born at 37 weeks are just fine- but not all. Occasionally there are some lung issues associated with 37 weekers and even more commonly smaller things that may not be as readily noticed- feeding issues, increased reflux, jaundice, as well as ability to control body temp.
Most docs won't electively induce at 37 weeks but also wouldn't stop a labor that is progressing on its own. A baby who is ready to be born at 37 weeks (as in labor begins and progresses on its own) often has less issues than one that is forced out or evicted at 37 weeks. Of course there are some valid reasons in specific situations that some babies may need to be induced that early, but generally, I think a 37 weeker should not be a candidate for elective induction.

visit our family blog at www.stalkedbythestork.com
February 8th, 2010, 01:26 PM
Kittynoah's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I actually hadn't heard taht 37 weeks was full term - this thread was informative. I had planned to go the full 40 weeks and due to family history and this being my first pregnancy - am figuring I will go late. I know it will be uncomfortable to be overdue, but really don't want to induce because I heard it is more painful. Didn't even realize they would induce early unsless the baby or mom was in distress. Do they do elective inductions early?

February 8th, 2010, 01:31 PM
Mega Super Mommy
A good doctor wouldn't induce at 37 weeks unless there was medical need.

February 8th, 2010, 01:42 PM
Amanda C's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Not all babies are ready at 37 weeks. Most are though so if you go into labor after that they won't try and stop it.

My dd was born at 37 weeks 3 days with absolutely no problems.

February 8th, 2010, 01:58 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Ditto what everyone else has said about not every baby being ready at 37 weeks. Some are and some aren't. Usually at that point their lungs are fully developed, but some might still be working on lung development, etc.

February 8th, 2010, 02:21 PM
fibigrey's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to fibigrey
yeah I think it has alot to do when conception is, and each baby's own individual growth rate.. I couldn't even remember clearly the EXACT date of my last period, I had a range, and picked the middle of it lol..

My doctor is taking my cerclage out at 37 weeks, which may induce labor from the cervical stimulation, but also may not, but I guess this is the normal time they do it incase you go into labor.. also, my son was born at 38 weeks and was perfectly healthy.. he was a chunker, too..
February 8th, 2010, 02:28 PM
sarah*'s Avatar Loving My Piglets
the others some babies are ready at 37 weeks etc my daughter was born at 40 weeks and she was only 5lbs 13oz she was also still covered in all that white stuff (can;t remember the correct term lol) and the midwifes asked me if she was premature! (i was induced...) she obviously was not ready to come out yet but i know for sure when i conceived so i know she was at least 40 weeks!

February 8th, 2010, 02:46 PM
ChrissySTL's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My doctor just told me 36 weeks is full term? He said they wont stop your labor at that point. With that being said, he will not induce before my due date unless there is a medical reason.

Thank you MeganPixel for surprising me with this super cute siggy-you rock!

February 8th, 2010, 02:46 PM
..Penelope..'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Good to know! Thanks!

Missing our angel baby since Feb 7, 2009

Visit
BeaMade for unique, adorable, high quality handmade crochet hats and booties, velcro free soother clips and soft sole baby boots.
February 8th, 2010, 03:40 PM
CuteName's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My last doctor actually SUGGESTED a social induction a week before my due date. But the one I have this time won't unless I've gone past my due date. I really would have liked an exact date so I could garauntee to have my mom here, but I guess baby will cook till she's ready to pop out!
February 8th, 2010, 03:43 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrissySTL View Post
My doctor just told me 36 weeks is full term? He said they wont stop your labor at that point. With that being said, he will not induce before my due date unless there is a medical reason.
36 weeks isn't usually considered full term, but at that point most doctors won't try to stop your labor if it starts. The assumption is that baby would be healthy enough to be born at that point with few problems. But technically 36 weeks is considered premature birth still.

February 9th, 2010, 08:19 AM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Everyone alreayd said it. Most Doctors will induce at 41 weeks, even though 42 weeks is still considered normal. My son Hunter was born at 41 weeks, we are sure of the dates, and he still had to have help breathing for the first 30 minutes of life.
February 9th, 2010, 08:26 AM
krissy1989's Avatar is loving her two boys!
I wouldn't want to be induced unless medically necessary, so I'm going to try to get this 37 weeks idea out of my head! I'm feeling impatient enough as it is, and knowing that, it'll only make the last few weeks draaaaaaag. lol

LoveLove
Love
LUV LOVE YOU!!
February 9th, 2010, 02:08 PM
becker206's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My sister in law is being induced on the 15th, and she will be exactly 37 weeks. They are only inducing because she has pre-eclamsia. I had my first child via c-section at 38 weeks due to a sudden development of pre-e and her being breech at that time. She had no problems what so ever.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search