Suggestions for stretch mark cream?

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 8th, 2010, 01:52 PM
amazing_love's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've been using Palmer's cocoa butter throughout my whole pregnancy so far. Today i've been researching baby products and looking at ingredients. Well i decided to look up my Palmer's lotion and apparently it didn't rank very high. It has mineral oil which i learned is a Carcinogen which means it's possible to cause cancer. GREAT! I'm now thinking maybe i shouldn't even risk using it and am thinking about switching to something else. Does anyone use anything other than Palmers or have any suggestions?

February 8th, 2010, 01:56 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Mineral oil is NOT carcinogenic!

Unfortunately, stretch mark creams don't really prevent stretch marks, so pick whichever feels good on your skin and helps with any itching or other skin concerns you have.

February 8th, 2010, 02:07 PM
fibigrey's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to fibigrey
yeah, its a myth that ANY sort of cream/lotion/ or oil will help stretchmarks, because these are not actually on the epidermis, they are underneath in the fat, it is fat pulling apart not skin... The creams help however, with dryness that is associated with stretchmarks.

I'd recommend bio-oil.. its expensive, but really makes you skin feel great! Plus its supposed to help reduce the appearance of scars and uneven skin tones, etc..
February 8th, 2010, 02:10 PM
homeschooling mom of 2
I like Mother's Special Blend Oil (drugstore.com) I used it in my first pregnancy and am using it this time... I know they say you can't prevent them but I gained over 60lbs with my first... went from a flat belly to a big belly, I didn't get a single stretch mark on my tummy (where I used the oil at least 2x a day) however I got them on my thighs and breasts (where I never used it) this time I"ve been using it on breasts, tummy, and thighs and no new ones... just saying.
February 8th, 2010, 02:11 PM
JBmom88's Avatar Super Mommy
I just use Gold Bond lotion because my skin is so dry. I don't think cocoa butter actually "prevents" any marks from forming.

February 8th, 2010, 02:12 PM
onelove1109's Avatar Super Mommy
Ive heard burts bees makes a good cream that "helps prevent stretch marks". I have given up on creams preventing anything...I use vitamin e cream and palmers everyday atleast 2x a day since I got my BFP..and still they are popping up all over my belly. I swear I have a new one everyday. Im convinced its a myth...but atleast my belly isnt itchy

Thanks so much Jaidynsmum for my adorable siggy!

February 8th, 2010, 02:13 PM
Shea131's Avatar Peyton Rylee's Mommy!!
I use the Palmer's too.

Thank you Quantum_Leap for my fabulous signature!!!
February 8th, 2010, 02:18 PM
ChrissySTL's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I jut use the Palmers and Mama Bee by Burts Bees but like others said, I dont think they will stop you from getting stretch marks, but they will help the itching nad help the stretch marks appearance fade faster.

Oh I forgot....I use vitamin E capsules at bedtime too...vitamin e is suppossed to be great for stretch marks.

Thank you MeganPixel for surprising me with this super cute siggy-you rock!

February 8th, 2010, 02:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lintu View Post
Mineral oil is NOT carcinogenic!

Unfortunately, stretch mark creams don't really prevent stretch marks, so pick whichever feels good on your skin and helps with any itching or other skin concerns you have.
I read it on this site:
Palmer's Cocoa Butter Formula | GoodGuide
At the bottom it lists the ingredients. When you hold the curser over "mineral oil" it says it's a known carcinogen. I googled it and found some sites saying it was and others saying it was a myth. I dunno

February 8th, 2010, 04:11 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by longing4baby View Post
I read it on this site:
Palmer's Cocoa Butter Formula | GoodGuide
At the bottom it lists the ingredients. When you hold the curser over "mineral oil" it says it's a known carcinogen. I googled it and found some sites saying it was and others saying it was a myth. I dunno
It said it's according to the US Department of Health and Human Services, but when you go there and do a search on mineral oil, nothing comes up.

People who work in environments where mineral oil is misted and inhaled in high doses have reason to be concerned, but it's safe to apply to your skin

February 8th, 2010, 05:27 PM
frankie's Avatar Proud Mommy
I am sure its fine..

I ended up getting 1 little itty bitty stretch mark and freaked I have been using Jaqua beauty butter cream frosting its been working great and smells awesome!!

Products Buttercream Frosting Sinfully Rich Body Butter ~ Jaqua

trying for~~~Commitment leads to action. Action brings your dream closer~~~~ Marcia Wieder
February 8th, 2010, 06:03 PM
jen*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrissySTL View Post
I jut use the Palmers and Mama Bee by Burts Bees but like others said, I dont think they will stop you from getting stretch marks, but they will help the itching nad help the stretch marks appearance fade faster.

Ditto - I don't really like the smell of Palmers, but I like the price
February 8th, 2010, 06:49 PM
lilflower
Actually I've been using plain vitamin E lately, but I've used Palmer's and Nivea Skin Firming lotion. No stretch marks except on my boobies. I'm sure that there are ways to prevent stretchmarks. I know that my DR told me that after I have the baby to "support" my tummy because the skin hanging can cause even MORE stretchmarks...
February 8th, 2010, 07:50 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Actually stretch marks are hereditary and apart of genetics. If your mom got them, chances are you'll have them. No matter what creams you use. I think its just more so to keep your tummy moisturized to prevent stretch marks from getting out of control in the event that you do get them.

I lotion my belly, but with regular lotion. Dont have stretch marks and highly doubt that I'll get them b/c none of my aunts or my mom had them. but I do use this cocoa butter oil/gel some times on my belly.
February 8th, 2010, 09:21 PM
becker206's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I use Mambino Organics and Unscented 100% Organic Body Butter 8oz

Both are all natural and organic. They smell amazing and work great. I got the mambino one as a gift for my birthday and now I hooked, it smells soo amazing.

February 9th, 2010, 05:14 AM
Amanda C's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
There isn't a lotion out there that will prevent stretchmarks. That's just a myth.

After pregnancy if your not breastfeeding you can use Tazorac or Retin A on the marks and that will fade them pretty quickly but it still won't get rid of them and it can be expensive.

February 9th, 2010, 06:49 AM
Love_the_Shoes's Avatar Love my girls!!
I use Mama Bee by Burt Bee's and organic Palmer's cocoa butter. I think I have one tiny little stretch mark so far. I use it 2x a day...it's like a science experiment for me.

February 9th, 2010, 09:54 AM
Thanks! I think i might try the organic Palmer's cocoa butter.

I know realistically stretch mark cream probably doesn't do much, if anything, but i look at it as i might as well try to prevent them.

February 9th, 2010, 10:07 AM
fibigrey's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to fibigrey
I really think the only thing that prevents them is not gaining weight quickly.. I said this in the last post, so sorry if I sound like a broken record :/ But stretchmarks are hereditary, and are based on how quickly you gain weight (and how much weight you gain) this is why pre-teens get stretchmarks around their knees and hips, etc when they go through growth spurts... And seriously, it is from the fat under the skin pulling apart, not the skin.. but lotion certainly helps the skin recover quicker I think.. especially afterward.

I had horrible, horrible stretchmarks with DS, but I gained weight very, very quickly.. the only new stretchmarks I've gotten this pregnancy are 1 or 2 on my boobs..my old ones havn't even turned pink/red yet, tehyre still flesh colored, but ive gained weight at a steady slower rate this time.
February 9th, 2010, 10:09 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I've been using palmers too and once or twice a week baby oil. I know it doesn't prevent them but I'm like you and figure I should at least try something I'm sure I'll get them, my mom had them pretty bad. Igh!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search