Pica

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 8th, 2010, 07:56 PM
SerendipitysChild's Avatar Super Mommy
Alrighty ladies, let me just start this thread off by saying I am a pretty mentally sound woman (At least according to me.....Dont ask DexH that one )........crazy in good ways but not in padded room ways lol

I had the same thing happen with DD and now it is happening again with Elijah....

PICA
What causes pica (cravings for non-food items during pregnancy)? | BabyCenter

It is a condition where you crave non food items during pregnancy.

During both pregnancies I have craved loads of ice but I don't consider that one terribly odd......

The odd ones were these

BBQ Brickets or coal with DD - I never actually tried eating them because my mind is sound enough to out bid my cravings but the cravings were unreal!!! I wanted to chew on those brickets so badly that I had to find something distracting to take my mind off them!! I had DD and can honestly say in the 4 years since, I've had no desire to munch on coal products!!! lol

Now with Elijah it hit me like a ton of bricks last night........I suddenly had the uncontrolable craving for tree branches!!!! If I could have gone out in the yard and started gnawing on sticks without being branded a lunatic I probably would have given it a shot!!! Today the craving is just as strong so I am passifying myself with ice chips

I'm sure there is nothing wrong with me psychologically but I am definitely going to mention it to my Dr. next week and see if my blood work came back with any deficiencies that may explain it. Till then rest assured that I will stick to hugging tree's.....not chewing on them

So how about it ladies??? Any one experience the same thing but are just too afraid they are nuts to fess up???

Thank You Jaidynsmum for my fabulous fall siggy!
February 8th, 2010, 07:59 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I haven't experienced it, but I know from what I've read that it's not that unusual for a pregnant women to have urges to eat strange things and have pica. My mom had a patient come into the Urgent Care years ago because she ate a whole cardboard box while pregnant. Usually it is because you are deficient in some nutrient, but not always. Hopefully your doctor can help you figure it out!

February 8th, 2010, 08:05 PM
Mega Super Mommy
lately I have been dying to go to the pool so I can just smell the chlorine water lol, but I am not tempted to drink it or anything. just the way you worded it made me laugh though. hope you can figure it out soon

February 8th, 2010, 08:24 PM
~Claudia~'s Avatar mommy to Nico & Seba
Quote:
Originally Posted by SerendipitysChild View Post
I suddenly had the uncontrolable craving for tree branches!!!! If I could have gone out in the yard and started gnawing on sticks without being branded a lunatic I probably would have given it a shot!!!
I am sorry but you made me LOL! I can picture you hanging from the tree gnawing on a branch, lol

I hope the doctor can give you a solution... it is not fun not being able to fulfill your cravings
February 9th, 2010, 04:57 AM
Amanda C's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I haven't had any issues with that but I do know it's normal for pregnant women and kids.

Maybe your diet is deficient in something? Are you taking your prenatals every day? I definitely ask your OB about it. It would drive me crazy to crave things like that.

February 9th, 2010, 05:42 AM
Kodithegirl's Avatar Super Mommy
I got it with DS, too, and it's back again. Except, I crave chalk. I was fine until DS was practicing writing his letters on our chalkboard the other day, and I had to walk out of the room because I almost stuck the entire piece in my mouth. I did ask my doctor about it at my last appointment, and he told me that chalk and tums are pretty much the same thing chemically. The only difference is that tums has flavors added, but that if the craving is so bad I can't handle it, chew a tums. Just for reference, though, if you're out of tums and have heartburn, chalk works.

We just re-worked everything! Completely new fabric options, Slings, 6 new bedding options, Custom vinyl wall decals, and much much more!! $5 off for any justmommies.com forum members!!

February 9th, 2010, 06:01 AM
LisaBrown's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
This is fascinating to me! I had never heard if that, but I definitly believe it...no one would admit to this if it weren't true! I hope you get some answers from your OB. And yes, I felt a giggle coming on when I got a mental picture of you and your belly climbing a tree to eat the branches! I hope it passes, it sounds like it would be very difficult to ignore such a strong, unusual craving.

February 9th, 2010, 06:50 AM
TeamNick's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have not had it but I have heard of other ladies with it.

Most of them crave chalk or dirt.

You need to let your doctor know because you are deficient in some nutrient.

Mommy to Evie and Isla Marie

February 9th, 2010, 07:15 AM
lauriebeth's Avatar Mommy to Riley & Caroline
I've heard that it's usually related to an iron deficiency. My mom is anemic and I think she has had the desire to eat paper (not actually done it) even when she's not pregnant. I don't think I've ever had a non-food craving, but if I did... I probably wouldn't tell DH. He would think I had lost it!

Mommy to Riley (3/23/10) & Caroline (3/11/12); wife to David (12/16/06).
February 9th, 2010, 07:26 AM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
Hopefully you can figure out what nutrient or vitamin you're missing so you can stop wanting to eat trees! I've definitely heard of pregnant women having it but never known anyone personally with it.

February 9th, 2010, 08:16 AM
J-V221's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have heard of children having issues with this; having extreme craving to eat metal like paperclips and small nuts and bolts. (like 8-12 year olds, not toddlers ) I hope it goes away for you soon, would not be fun having to deal with those types of cravings.
February 9th, 2010, 11:03 AM
Shea131's Avatar Peyton Rylee's Mommy!!
This is new to me! I had never heard of this before! I must say I was LOL when first readying this post, but it does sound like an awful thing to be going through! Hopefully your doc can help you get it all straightened out!!

Thank you Quantum_Leap for my fabulous signature!!!
February 9th, 2010, 12:20 PM
lilflower
Oh honey. I hope you are able to fight it. I had a clay craving with my DD. ((hugs)) I know it sucks!
February 9th, 2010, 12:30 PM
becker206's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I actually have had really strong "smell" cravings with both my pregnancies.

February 9th, 2010, 07:33 PM
palmetto_moon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have never had it but I know that it's not uncommon in pregnant women. You definatley aren't crazy. Hope you can find the nutrient deficiency. Good luck with your bloodwork.

Thank you Kiliki for my awesome siggy!

visit our family blog at www.stalkedbythestork.com
February 9th, 2010, 08:11 PM
onelove1109's Avatar Super Mommy
I haven't had any of this going on but I've heard of women dealing with it. On an episode of A Baby Story not too long ago there was a woman in labor just chowin down on a box of chalk like it was nothin out of the ordinary lol.

Thanks so much Jaidynsmum for my adorable siggy!

February 9th, 2010, 08:25 PM
AlexasMomma's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to AlexasMomma
when I went to the wic office they asked me if I had these and said ice but no others but that I always loved Ice and I asked them why and they told me it is a sign of a iron deficiency and something else but I cant remember what im sure you could google it and find out

Thanks ashypoo03 for my gorgeous siggy!!

February 9th, 2010, 10:53 PM
niema's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to niema
Okay Im sorry but that gnawing on tree branches made me LMAO!!! Im still tickled by that, heehee.
I've heard of it and have dealt with it myself but not to that extreme, haha, (Im sorry I cannot get over that picture of you gnawing on tree branches!)
So far all I've been wnting is ice! Yummy!! I've heard craving ice was due to a iron deficiency also.

Oh and Annie, I saw that episode too, Ewwwwww!
February 10th, 2010, 01:12 PM
SerendipitysChild's Avatar Super Mommy
LMAO!!! If I've said it once, I've said it a thousand times!!! You ladies are awesome!!! Don't feel bad about laughing at my post, I LOVE making people laugh and I have been laughing at it myself!!! So far I have been able to control the urge but darned if it's not still there!!! My Dr. Office called and said my iron was okay but when I have appointment next week I am gong to talk to my Doctor and see if anything else looks borderline! Thanks for the comments ladies!!! You all crack me up!!

Thank You Jaidynsmum for my fabulous fall siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search