Would you get your OB to look at this or just go to your derm?

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 9th, 2010, 05:42 AM
Amanda C's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have a dermatologist and I normally see him twice a year. He treats my acne but I also have a family history of skin cancer and my grandmother died from Melanoma so he also checks my spots. It takes like 6 weeks to get in to see him though.

Anyway last night I found these 2 new spots on my chest. They are odd. You can't really see them b/c they are almost the same color as my skin but you can feel them. They feel sort of like a small knot. One is small the other is as big if not a little bigger than a pencil eraser.

My OB appt is next Tuesday. Should I just ask him? I mean would he even know what they are?

February 9th, 2010, 05:51 AM
homeschooling mom of 2
Hmm... I'm not sure, I know I've gotten a ton of weird skin things going on with this pregnancy, these strange spots on my legs (slightly darker then my skin, flat, I can actually peel them off with some effort, like some sort of spotty dried skin thing) and I have skin tags on my neck EWWWW (never had those before).

If it takes that long to get into your derm maybe make the appointment now and then ask your OB... if the OB doesn't know then you can just keep your derm appointment?
February 9th, 2010, 06:22 AM
Love_the_Shoes's Avatar Love my girls!!
I would def. ask your OB (can't hurt and you will already be there). I'm sure they might know some things about moles...don't all doctors have to take general pre-med before they select their specific field?

Make an appt. w/your derm. b/c spring is around the corner and you will have a new baby, so you might as well get an appt. now to get your yearly mole check so when your LO arrives, you can cross that off your "to-do" list (I should do the same).

Also, maybe call your family dr. and see if he/she will look at them...family drs. should know about moles b/c they are general practice--they should be familiar w/a slew of things regarding the human body.

February 9th, 2010, 06:45 AM
TeamNick's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Iwould make the appt with your derm but ask your OB at your next appt.

Mommy to Evie and Isla Marie

February 9th, 2010, 07:41 AM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
I'd also say get an appointment in with the dermatologist but ask your OB too. My mom had malignant melanoma in her 20s, so any changes in my skin I take very seriously. I hope it's nothing more than something pregnancy related.
February 14th, 2010, 07:30 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Could it be a skin tag?
I would make a derm appt but also ask your OB about them since it takes so long to get in to your dermatologist.
My Grandpa had melanoma and I did too. It seems like lots of people whose Grandparents had it end up getting it, so better safe than sorry!
February 14th, 2010, 08:15 PM
palmetto_moon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would start off with asking the OB since pregnancy can cause a lot of funky skin changes and discolorations and such. I would definately tell the OB your family history and then ask if he thinks you should see a derm. And maybe just for peace of mind I'd schedule anyway depending on how certain or uncertain the OB seems to be...

Thank you Kiliki for my awesome siggy!

visit our family blog at www.stalkedbythestork.com
February 15th, 2010, 07:51 AM
lauriebeth's Avatar mommy to Riley Grace
I'm with everyone else... at least ask your OB if it's pregnancy related... if it isn't, or if he's not familiar with the problem, then see your derm. Like everyone else said, it might be nice to go ahead and make the appointment since you have trouble getting in right away.

Thank you Meganpixel for my adorable siggy!

For crocheted hats and hair accessories visit *Daisy Cottage Designs* on Etsy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search