My sister told me that you're MUCH more fertile after your first baby..

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 10th, 2010, 04:14 PM
krissy1989's Avatar is loving her two boys!
Is this true? Are we going to have to be even more careful after having Caleb than we were before? On top of breastfeeding (which is supposed to be nature's own method of birth control, isn't it?), will our previous methods still be as efficient? (We rarely used condoms, but he would never even come close to finishing inside me.)

LoveLove
Love
LUV LOVE YOU!!
February 10th, 2010, 04:17 PM
Amanda C's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That's not necessarily true at all. Some women concieve quicker the second time and for some it takes much longer the second time.

February 10th, 2010, 04:19 PM
TeamNick's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I wasn't. It took me almost 15 months to concieve this time.

Mommy to Evie and Isla Marie

February 10th, 2010, 04:21 PM
homeschooling mom of 2
We only used withdrawal after having DD, had a few slip ups over the YEARS (remember my girls will be 6yrs apart) that said I only had to think about maybe having another child and next thing I knew we were expecting LOL
February 10th, 2010, 04:39 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I think that's a myth. A lot of women experience secondary infertility where with the first baby they conceived easily, but after that it is much harder. And a lot get pregnant again easily. I got pregnant my first cycle, which didn't happen until Lily was 10.5 months old. And remember that breastfeeding is only an effective method of birth control if you follow the rules exactly (baby is under 6 months, nursing on demand, no bottles/pacifiers, nurse at night, your period hasn't returned, etc).

February 10th, 2010, 04:45 PM
Max n Meghan's Mom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I got pregnant while breastfeeding, though Max was 10 months old. We were also using condoms and I was on the mini pill. I guess we're just blessed by being super fertile. And here I had thought it would be hard because of my history of ovarian tumors and scaring.

Thank you for my beautiful siggy, *Kiliki*!Visit My Blog

February 10th, 2010, 05:46 PM
Racine's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yeah I definitely don't think you can generalize across the board. We got pg for DS on my first cycle after starting to try....I didn't use any BC after him other than exclusively breastfeeding and it still took longer this time.

Everybody is different, I think.

Thank you, Meganpixel, for my awesome siggy!

February 10th, 2010, 05:52 PM
Well, that's a relief to hear! I won't be only relying on breastfeeding; we'll still be using our version of withdrawal, as well. I was just hoping that the exclusive breastfeeding would help increase the birth control protection on top of the withdrawal.

I just don't want to conceive right away. I don't want to start TTC again until Caleb is one-and-a-half years old. But I also HATE condoms, and I don't trust birth control pills (personal opinion, and not to say that they're all "bad").

Thanks for everybody's opinions!

LoveLove
Love
LUV LOVE YOU!!
February 10th, 2010, 05:58 PM
Mega Super Mommy
For me it is VERY true....

It took us 3 yrs, 7 inseminations and 2 In Vitro cycles to get pregnant with the twins. We got pg with our 3rd all on our own, and we tried for only 3 months to conceive this baby.

I'm sure that isn't the case for everyone, but it's not out of the question.

[/COLOR]Nathan(6), Reagan(6), Riley(5), Kaycee(3)

Our Blog

February 10th, 2010, 06:15 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
I definitely think it depends on the person. Lily was a one time surprise and this baby was conceived the first cycle of trying. DH and I are just a super fertile team in general. For my sister, it took about half the time for their second daughter than it did for their first. I also had a co-worker who had to do IVF for their first child but conceived on their own for their second.
February 10th, 2010, 06:15 PM
DondraB's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Don't rely on breastfeeding as your only means of contraception! I exclusively breastfed Kinley....and I didn't use any other form of b/c....my dr said the mini pill isn't 100% effective..so I never even used it. We just used the pullout method BUT I know when I ovulate so we just avoided doing anything during that time of the month. With that said, the FIRST time we started TTC after having Kinley we got pregnant...did it when I was ovulating and 2 weeks later got a positive hpt.

If you don't want to get pregnant right away, be very cautious-use condoms or some sort of b/c

February 10th, 2010, 06:17 PM
Mega Super Mommy
For women who had trouble conceiving the first time around (esp those who had hormonal issues), pregnancy can stabilize or correct their cycles and make them more fertile for a subsequent pregnancy than they were for the first. But I don't think it makes you more likely to conceive if you had normal cycles before the pregnancy

February 10th, 2010, 06:43 PM
mylene169's Avatar Kaija and Kolbie's Mommy
Send a message via AIM to mylene169 Send a message via Yahoo to mylene169
Not for me. It took 1 fun weekend of trying to conceive DD I had "textbook" 28 day cycles and O'd on CD14, easy-peasy. I wasn't on any bc before that. After she was born I decided to use the mini-pill and it worked fine for us. AF didn't return for about 8 months, which was about how long I bf'd, but we also supplemented and started solids at 4 months so I had to be diligent in taking it! I stopped taking it when she was 10 months old and had wacky cycles so I started charting and found they were VERY wacky. So we started TTC in Nov., conceived in March and had a m/c, then my cycles were weird again and we finally conceived on my first "normal" cycle in July. So no, I was so not as fertile after having DD!!
February 10th, 2010, 06:46 PM
palmetto_moon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Like the other ladies have said, fertility is quite unique for each individual. As far as breastfeeding, Le Leche Leauge has some information regarding using breastfeeding to naturally space children. The list of requirements (in order for it to be used efficiently) include the baby being less than 6 months old, you must be breastfeeding exclusively, not have resumed your monthly cycles ect. I can't remember what else. But even with all those things in place- I'd still tread carefully...
For me the rule of thumb I use is this...the extent to which I would use breastfeeding as birth control depends on the extent to which I'd be devestated to find out I was pregnant again.
Even though people laugh when I say this (cause I have so many kids) I have had really good success using my cycle and learning when I ovulate. The only time this have proved not easy for me was this pregnancy because the breastfeeding made my cycles so irregular. Even still, I was trying so it wasn't a big deal.
Hormonal forms of birth control turn me into a pyschopath so that's why I don't use the pill, shot ect. That and personal religious beliefs.

Thank you Kiliki for my awesome siggy!

visit our family blog at www.stalkedbythestork.com
February 10th, 2010, 06:49 PM
Yeah, I definitely wouldn't consider using ONLY breastfeeding, like I mentioned above. I would combine it with the withdrawal method, which worked fine for us before. I just wanted to make sure that I wouldn't be super-fertile-myrtle, and get pregnant on the first drop of precum! (My older sister swears that this is how she conceived her second, even though recent studies find that there are no sperm in precum.)

LoveLove
Love
LUV LOVE YOU!!
February 10th, 2010, 08:47 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twhylite21 View Post
I think that's a myth. A lot of women experience secondary infertility where with the first baby they conceived easily, but after that it is much harder. And a lot get pregnant again easily. I got pregnant my first cycle, which didn't happen until Lily was 10.5 months old. And remember that breastfeeding is only an effective method of birth control if you follow the rules exactly (baby is under 6 months, nursing on demand, no bottles/pacifiers, nurse at night, your period hasn't returned, etc).
Just wanted to add that if your baby sleeps for longer than 4 hours at a stretch, you cannot rely on breastfeeding as a contraceptive (not that you can rely on it 100% anyway, but even less so if you've got a good sleeper!).

And I have read the same as your sister Krissy - about there being no sperm in the precum...however I also read that if the male has ejaculated previously and for example, then not had a shower before sex, then this can get you pregnant on the withdrawal method!

Thanks to Meganpixel for my beautiful siggie!

Last edited by mum74; February 10th, 2010 at 08:53 PM.
February 11th, 2010, 05:53 AM
sweatshirtgirl's Avatar Super Mommy
Just wanted to add that yes, usually you aren't ovulating while breastfeeding, but you will ovulate before you get your 1st post-partum period so you never know when it's coming. I EBF for 4-6 months (before adding solid foods in), but as soon as I added solids, I got my period even before the 6 month mark.

I'm not one to take any chances, so we always use condoms anyway (I didn't trust the mini pill either!).

Visit my etsy store! http://www.etsy.com/shop/drurylanedesigns
February 11th, 2010, 06:05 AM
Katie81's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My 4 year old is a withdrawal method baby, so for me that isn't an option. I will get the Mirena IUD placed back in at 6 weeks pp just like I did after Lily was born. That said, after 3 years of having the IUD and never getting a period we got pregnant the first cycle trying off of it.
February 11th, 2010, 06:22 AM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
Quote:
Originally Posted by mum74 View Post
Just wanted to add that if your baby sleeps for longer than 4 hours at a stretch, you cannot rely on breastfeeding as a contraceptive (not that you can rely on it 100% anyway, but even less so if you've got a good sleeper!).

And I have read the same as your sister Krissy - about there being no sperm in the precum...however I also read that if the male has ejaculated previously and for example, then not had a shower before sex, then this can get you pregnant on the withdrawal method!
It's 4 hours during the day, and 6 hours at night when it comes to nursing for BC

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweatshirtgirl View Post
Just wanted to add that yes, usually you aren't ovulating while breastfeeding, but you will ovulate before you get your 1st post-partum period so you never know when it's coming. I EBF for 4-6 months (before adding solid foods in), but as soon as I added solids, I got my period even before the 6 month mark.

I'm not one to take any chances, so we always use condoms anyway (I didn't trust the mini pill either!).

Most women do NOT ovulate before their first period while breastfeeding. Many women go for months gettting their period and still will not ovulate, it's called annovulatory cycles.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
February 11th, 2010, 07:08 AM
Thanks for all the info, ladies! What we definitely won't be trying to use again to prevent is charting, because Caleb is proof that that didn't work for us! I don't think that I would be devastated if we were to conceive while Caleb was under a year---just not before 6 months. My younger sister and I aren't quite a full two years apart, and I think we were at a good age difference. So, I think I'll be comfortable using withdrawal like before. Hopefully, it lasts us until we actively start TTC, but if not, we'll manage.

LoveLove
Love
LUV LOVE YOU!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search