Need help choosing a convertible car seat

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 10th, 2010, 09:03 PM
ChrissySTL's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So many people have been saying I don't have enough bigger items on my registry, well that is because a lot of my bigger items have already been bought. But then I got to thinking and decided to add some things that I originally didn't think to put on there, mainly because my whole extended family is out of town so I know a lot of them will probably send me something when the baby comes, and I have some family members who are extremely generous when it comes to gifts.

I thought it would be smart to register for our convertible car seat now, if someone splurges and buys it, great. If not, no harm done and we will purchase it ourselves a year or so from when the baby is born. I have been researching online and it seems like the Britax Marathon and Roundabout have the highest ratings. What do you have and love? Any advice? Is the Britax Marathon worth the $279 price tag?

Thank you MeganPixel for surprising me with this super cute siggy-you rock!

February 10th, 2010, 09:37 PM
mylene169's Avatar Kaija and Kolbie's Mommy
Send a message via AIM to mylene169 Send a message via Yahoo to mylene169
We have a cheapy Cosco Scenera (about $50) in one car and and Eddie Bauer in our other car (about $125) and both do the job. If I had $300 I'd get a Britax though! Registering for one now is a great idea. We did that and got the EB seat from my grandma. Another good one is the Alpha Omega Elite (I think that's what it's called) and the Sunshine Radians are also supposed to be really good.

Check out the Car Seat Safety Board, they've got reviews on just about every type of car seat available.
February 10th, 2010, 10:29 PM
Platinum Supermommy
We have the Britax Boulevard, which is the higher model of the Marathon. I picked it over the Marathon because you can adjust the harness height/straps using knobs instead of having to unthread them and it has more side impact protection. I really like the Boulevard and Lily likes it as well. She's still rear-facing at 25lbs and 32inches in it. The Roundabout is good as well, but has lower weight limits.

February 11th, 2010, 04:38 AM
~Claudia~'s Avatar mommy to Nico & Seba
another Britax Boulevard user here. We LOVE this seat, it is so easy to install and Nico is still rear facing on it.

I also like it better than the Marathon because it holds Nico's head when he falls asleep.

btw, Amazon has most of the Britax models on sale right now (discounted from $309 to $259)

Amazon.com: britax boulevard
February 11th, 2010, 04:49 AM
Amanda C's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Britax makes very good car seats! If you have that much to spend go for it!

If not other good ones are the Graco My Ride or Graco Nautilus.

February 11th, 2010, 04:57 AM
homeschooling mom of 2
yes Britax are worth it IMO. DD had one in each of our cars and though it was expensive I'm happy with the choice, she's about to turn 6 and still loves her seats and I love that she's still in a 5 point and extra safe. Once she outgrows the graco snugride Lily will be getting her own seats too. Do you have an exersaucer on there? jumperoo? baby gates? jogging stroller if you'd use one? Trying to think of other things that are pricer that some people forget for newborns lists that you could add to yours.
February 11th, 2010, 06:11 AM
Katie81's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
DD has 4 Britax Marathons at the moment and I wouldn't buy any other seat. If you poke around online you can usually find a good deal with free shipping and no tax. When this baby outgrows his infant seat he will get two of her Marathons and we will upgrade her to a bigger Britax.

Try travelingtikes.com for good deals on Britax. Right now you can get some of the patterns for as low as $179 with free shipping and no sales tax. We got a couple of her seats and her MacClaren stroller from them.
February 11th, 2010, 07:22 AM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
I couldn't afford the Britax, so I ended up with the Evenflo Titan Elite (about $100). It can hold a rear facing child up to 35 pounds and forward facing with a 5 point harness up to 50 lbs. It was one of the higher weight limits for rear and forward facing in it's price range. I may have to get another one when Abrielle outgrows her snugride because I plan on keeping Lily in it for the next few years.
February 11th, 2010, 08:25 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We have Britax for both of our boys. We have a roundabout and a marathon, and it is totally worth the money to get one if you can afford it. We have bought them during tax time or other times when we had a good amount of money come in. I will be getting little girls when she is around 3 month old and I get my student kickbacks from school.

February 11th, 2010, 09:23 AM
sandpaper06's Avatar Mom of 3 darlings
I love my Safety 1st True Fit car seat. It's really cushy and has great safety ratings. I got it for around $150 from Amazon. It reclines enough for the rear facing that DS's neck doesn't ever flop forward when sleeping, he is also reclined enough that he can see me easily when I talk to him and it makes it SUPER nice when stopped to give him a binky or toy since he's close. I love it enough that I haven't switched him to forward facing yet since I can tell he's comfortable and he has NEVER pitched a fit when trying to get him in the carseat. He loves it and smiles every time.
Caroline - November '12

February 11th, 2010, 04:00 PM
ChrissySTL's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks girls, I'm going to have to decide between the different Britax models!

Thank you MeganPixel for surprising me with this super cute siggy-you rock!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search