Hemorrhoids + labor? (TMI)

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 11th, 2010, 07:07 PM
fibigrey's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to fibigrey
So I have awful hemorrhoids.. They are exterior hemorrhoids (more than one) and I have been batteling these since about day 1 of this pregnancy. I take colace every single day, because if I don't, I'll regret it..

About 2 appointments ago I asked the nurse practitioner about them and about what vaginal delivery will do to them.. She said it is no reason to not have a vaginal delivery, and that while prolapse is possible, I can get them treated afterward through a proctologist..

okay.. um.. These hemorrhoids hurt me REALLY bad from BARELY even straining.. I know better than to strain really hard.. But I swear these hemorrhoids hurt worse now than my whole vagina did after giving birth to DS!! I am so so so nervous about what vaginal delivery is going to do to them and how bad they'll hurt AFTERWARD!!

I have not been able to ask my normal OB about them, because I havn't seen him in almost 2 months, but I have a feeling he isn't going to care.. I know that having hemorrhoids may be easier than dealing with a c-section, but I've gotten to the point where I have already not been able to sit down comfortably.. they hurt just laying on my side, and this is from BARELY straining! Even just a more solid BM (sorry TMI) makes them worse One of them, I have seen, has been swollen to the between the size of a dime/nickle before.. I think my doc thinks I exaggerate everything, but NOT this.

The nurse practioner said that she had really really bad ones while she was pregnant too, (im guessing this was a LONG time ago by her age) and she said she had steriod shots in them to get them to shrink, which wasn't too bad, and she said she even had to have surgery to fix them, which she said was worse than labor. OMG.

Anyone have AWFUL hemorrhoids too? Anyone have them AND give birth? I am so so scared of this.. This is the ONLY Thing I worry about with giving birth, honestly.. tearing, pain, whatever, I'm not overly worried about, these massive, painful hemorrhoids? WORRIED. :/
February 11th, 2010, 07:16 PM
DondraB's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have them really bad too.....because I was in labor for 31 hours with Kinley and her head was pushing down the entire time! I felt like I had to poop throughout the entire labor!!!! I did end up in a csection.......so I never had to actually give birth. But to this day they still bother me! Mine are also on the ouside..they are small, unless I have dihrrea really bad or a hard bowel movement...then they are terrible--like they are ripping open!! I just keep the hemmrhoid cream handy and lather it on when they start to swell up.

I'll be having another csection, so I won't have to feel your pain of giving birth--but I would def talk to your dr about what you can do after having the baby! My mom has had some removed before (I think hers were internal) and she was literally knocked out for 5 min-very simple procedure and she didn't hurt any worse than when she had the hemmrhoids!

February 11th, 2010, 07:54 PM
SerendipitysChild's Avatar Super Mommy
Oh Kristi.....I hate to pass along bad news so I will make my own experience as delicate as possible......

I got hemorrhoids for the first time with DD, they were pretty miserable throughout the last part of my pregnancy and then I gave birth.......
DexH was kind enough to tell me that every time I pushed, they looked like a huge strawberry patch!! (Gee thanks Dear!) I tore so the stitches were pretty miserable and the hemorrhoids made things REALLY horrible......They were so sore for a couple of weeks afterwords. Since I have to be the bearer of potentially rotten news I'll also include some of the things that helped.....

1. Place several tucks pads on your maxi pad so that you have that constant witch hazel comfort (But for the love of God DO NOT flush the buggers or you will experience the "Toilet Volcano" LOL)
2. Get a doughnut pillow!!! It will help them heal faster if they aren't irritated by sitting.
3. An ice pack applied to them helps a TON for comfort, wrap a gel pack in a wash cloth and balance it on your pad while you are nursing or sitting for half an hour or so and it feels wonderful! (Get a 5 pack of dark colored wash cloths so you don't ruin your good ones)
4. Use the hemorrhoid ointment they give you at the hospital or at least some prepH every time you go potty or even just change your pad.
5. When you can start wiping again, use the witch hazel wipes, they really help clean up, are comforting and I notice a difference in size of my hemorrhoids when I use them regularly.

Hope that they don't cause you too much grief!!!

Thank You Jaidynsmum for my fabulous fall siggy!
February 12th, 2010, 06:55 AM
CanadianLou's Avatar Laura - mom of 3
I had them pretty bad with my last pregnancy, and I gave birth vaginally. I remember when I was pregnant I went into my dr's office and just begged her to cut/burn/rip them off because they were soooo bad. LOL She told me there was nothing I could do, but wait for the baby to be born. Honestly for me the first few days after giving birth they were sore (but not as sore as when they prolapsed during pregnancy) But I found with the baby out and the pressure off the swelling on them went down fairly quickly and now I only have a tag of skin which only flares up on occasion, and *knock on wood* I haven't had much problem with them during this pregnancy.

Thank you Meganpixel for the most fantastic siggy!

February 12th, 2010, 07:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianLou View Post
I had them pretty bad with my last pregnancy, and I gave birth vaginally. I remember when I was pregnant I went into my dr's office and just begged her to cut/burn/rip them off because they were soooo bad. LOL She told me there was nothing I could do, but wait for the baby to be born. Honestly for me the first few days after giving birth they were sore (but not as sore as when they prolapsed during pregnancy) But I found with the baby out and the pressure off the swelling on them went down fairly quickly and now I only have a tag of skin which only flares up on occasion, and *knock on wood* I haven't had much problem with them during this pregnancy.
So they never went back internally? Did you ever try to push them back in? I'm going to have these nasty painful things there forever?
February 12th, 2010, 08:42 AM
CanadianLou's Avatar Laura - mom of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibigrey View Post
So they never went back internally? Did you ever try to push them back in? I'm going to have these nasty painful things there forever?
Well, no mine never went back to internal, however they are not painful anymore and maybe have only been a little sore once or twice in the last 7 years (since I gave birth to my DD). I thought about going to get them taken off, but after I had a the baby besides there being a piece of skin, it wasn't really bothersome, so I just always put off. So now I'm thinking I'll wait until after I'm done having kids. I can't really remember now, but I think I might have tried to push them in at the beginning, but I think when I had a bowel movement they'd come back out. Honestly, I barely notice them anymore.

Thank you Meganpixel for the most fantastic siggy!

February 12th, 2010, 10:03 AM
Amanda C's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Talk to your OB and see what he says. My step sister had them badly and she had hers removed via laser surgery. She said removing them was a breeze in comparison to dealing with them.

February 12th, 2010, 10:23 AM
My OB genuinly doesn't care.. he doesn't care about anything other than how the baby is doing.. anything physically with me.. he's just like w/e.. I really don't like him, but I can't switch..

I called my OB office this morning at 10:30 and have yet to hear back from them (its almost 1:30) because I couldn't sleep last night I was in so much pain.. I got up this morning half ready to go to the ER because of the pain.. I've done everything, hot bath, tucks pads, prepH.. Nothing helps The hot bath helped a little, but I can barely move. I hate this.
February 12th, 2010, 10:32 AM
Mega Super Mommy
If your OB isn't taking any care of it, I would go to the family doctor and see if they will get you some help, that sounds aweful

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search