So I'm curious...

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 12th, 2010, 06:48 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I've always noticed that even if a mom is having her 2nd or 3rd child (even of the same gender), that it seems to be a big thing in America to pick out new bedding, all new clothes etc. I was just wondering if this is just something that's...tradition...?

I'm in Australia and my 2nd ds used the same bedding as the first, and regardless as to whether we have a boy or girl this time, the baby will also use the same bedding. I actually get a kick out of seeing them use what their big brother/s used to use with regard to clothes - it brings back great memories. I do like to buy the occasional 'new' thing just for my 2nd ds but mostly he wears his big brother's things (I wouldn't do this if I had a girl this time round - some newborn neutral clothes I would though). And I guess at the same time I don't feel like I would want to spend a lot of money on new bedding or clothes when I have perfectly good stuff already...

Anyway I guess I was curious as I know all my friends just use the same bedding too (unless they had pink stuff and ended up having a boy the next time, or if the siblings were spaced very close together and still both in cribs!).

Thanks to Meganpixel for my beautiful siggie!
February 12th, 2010, 06:54 PM
CuteName's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Well this is my third child, my 2nd daughter. I probably would have hung onto anything had I PLANNED to have more kids, but my daughter is 10 years old so I didn't think to hold on to my things for that long. Haha!

February 12th, 2010, 06:55 PM
fibigrey's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to fibigrey
I would totally reuse alot of my first son's things, except for the fact that its been 6 years, and I don't even own most of it anymore.. we would have no where to keep all of that stuff! I do have clothing, but its at my dad's house in storage, and well, I'm having a girl, and this will be the last child I have, she's going to look like a girl lol..

I think some people taht have more money don't mind splurging on new things, but I have even gone to 2nd hand stores ALREADY and bought gently used baby clothes for good prices, and have bought gently used baby clothes off of ebay as well, to save money. I am all for 2nd hand things because we have a very limited income right now.
February 12th, 2010, 06:58 PM
CuteName's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
OH good point. I would say 80% of the clothes I have gotten so far are from a second hand store. I buy all new, but still like to hunt for a good deal.

Plus it's just FUN to shop.
February 12th, 2010, 07:07 PM
mylene169's Avatar Kaija and Kolbie's Mommy
Send a message via AIM to mylene169 Send a message via Yahoo to mylene169
We went all neutral with Kaija's bedding and gear because we knew we'd have more kids. But I didn't love it. We would have used it again had we not found out we are having another girl. I'm making the bedding this time and it's pretty girly, but not too girly. Gear is being reused as is all clothing. Kolbie won't be getting a whole lot of new clothes for a while since we're on a tight budget as well. But she'll get some! It will depend on how she grows. I think the seasons should line up pretty closely though.
February 12th, 2010, 07:08 PM
TeamNick's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am reusing everything however my girls are going to be very close in age and other will have April birthdays so it makes it easy to reuse stuff.

Mommy to Evie and Isla Marie

February 12th, 2010, 07:33 PM
SerendipitysChild's Avatar Super Mommy
With DD, her nursery decor was as girlie as it came so using it for Elijah wont work but if I were having another girl I would TOTALLY re-use everything I had for DD!! Luckily All of the swings/high chair and gear stuff I have left is neutral and I even went through all of DD's baby clothes and picked out some of the neutral stuff to re-use just because I LOVE the trip down memory lane and am excited about having pics of both kids in some of the same outfits!!

Thank You Jaidynsmum for my fabulous fall siggy!
February 12th, 2010, 08:41 PM
~Claudia~'s Avatar mommy to Nico & Seba
Altough we can afford it I will be reusing Nico's bedding and clothing. Nico is only 17 months so they will be opposite season but it should work for the most part (except the winter wear). I see no point on getting new bedding or clothes when everything that we currently have is almost new.
February 13th, 2010, 03:45 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Claudia~ View Post
Altough we can afford it I will be reusing Nico's bedding and clothing. Nico is only 17 months so they will be opposite season but it should work for the most part (except the winter wear). I see no point on getting new bedding or clothes when everything that we currently have is almost new.
We could afford to as well, but like you I just don't see the point and I feel good being able to reuse my things. It's not that I have anything against anyone wanting to buy everything new 'just because', I was just curious, so thanks ladies! (And I can see quite a few ladies have just had to do it due to having given things away etc!).

I know either way - boy or girl - I will buy the baby a couple of new outfits 'just for him/her'...I am still trying to find a cute gender neutral outfit for baby for coming home from hospital .

Thanks to Meganpixel for my beautiful siggie!
February 13th, 2010, 04:55 AM
homeschooling mom of 2
My girls will be 6yrs apart probably to the week so I don't have much of her things left, I do have all of her clothing past about age 2 (always meant to sort/sell/donate it but never had time, thank goodness LOL) so Lily will get all her clothing (along with some new as needed of course) but besides a few things I had saved I didn't have anything else and as for furniture etc, DD is using her dresser, end table, etc. I am reusing the glider though since we saved that
February 13th, 2010, 05:23 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We're having another boy. We will be reusing a lot...clothes, carseat, swing, bouncy seat, etc. But we did buy him new furniture and bedding since Kellan is still using his. We have bought him a couple outfits and I will need to buy some more age/weather appropriate clothing because Kellan was born in August.

February 13th, 2010, 06:02 AM
renee4152's Avatar Proud Mommy of 2!
my daughter is 8, so i don't have anything left from when she was a baby. for her, i had borrowed nursery furniture, and although her baby gear (travel system, pack n play, and swing) were blue and white, my ex mother in law left everything outside to ruin so i never even got the chance to keep it. this is my hubby's first baby, so he wanted to buy a lot of the stuff. i have gotten most clothes so far on clearance. i don't plan on buying too much b/c my brother's little boy was born April 1st of last year, so i will be getting lots of clothes from him. if i had had two kids of the same gender close together, i probably would be buying too much or having a shower.
February 13th, 2010, 06:54 AM
Max n Meghan's Mom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm reusing all of our gear, though most of it is blue with the exception of the car seat (tan and black).

As for the clothes, I would have had to buy replacements even if we had had a boy because the seasons don't match. Long pants just won't do in Florida during the summer!

Most of the things I have though are used from friends or bought at a consignment shop. I've only bought a few things new but they were all really good deals. I've found that I can actually get new things at Kohls cheaper than the used stuff from consignment sometimes.

Thank you for my beautiful siggy, *Kiliki*!Visit My Blog

February 13th, 2010, 07:08 AM
becker206's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
If we would have been having a girl we would have used the same clothes and bedding.

February 13th, 2010, 08:03 AM
k8liz311's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We're reusing a lot. I've bought a couple new things but since I'm having another boy he'll use the same stuff that my son did. I do love to shop though.. so I have to hold back on what I buy!

February 13th, 2010, 08:17 AM
MichelleN's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Most of our gear we are reusing (crib, stroller, bouncy seat, swing, etc...). However, we are getting some new stuff. All of our sheets and clothes are for boys. We are having a girl this time. My son's toddler bed uses a crib mattress. So we will be using our existing sheets on his bed. Since I am on bedrest, my sister is going to do all of the shopping for me. She's going to buy some girl clothes (newborn and 0-3 months) and some sheets. We will be reusing towels, baby bath tub, bibs, and bottles. So really we don't have too much to buy but we are going to buy some stuff.
February 13th, 2010, 08:22 AM
CanadianLou's Avatar Laura - mom of 3
My daughter will be 7 in about a week and we moved across the country when she was 2 yrs old, so we don't have barely anything. The only thing I kept was a small bag of newborn clothes which I will re-use. I have bought some brand new stuff, but I also get some used clothes, and some used baby gear (swing, tub etc) from friends because their babies grew out of using them.

Thank you Meganpixel for the most fantastic siggy!

February 13th, 2010, 09:46 AM
ShellieBenson's Avatar Veteran
Same here for us! My 2 boys are 7 & 10 - I used the same stuff for them because they are 2.5 years apart so I still had everything and didnt need much at all! But we thought we were all done having babies so I gave EVERYTHING away - and I mean everything, LOL!! ( well except for one teeny tiny box of things I *had* to keep forever but are far to warn to ever use again)

This little man was a total surprise (I was on Birth Control) sooooo we are totally starting from scratch for him!!! It's been really fun to shop!!!!
DS - Luke
DS Matthew Joshua - born 4-19-2010
8:17am | 8lbs 8.6oz | 20 inches long

Family BLOG! http://jeremiahlukematthew.blogspot.com/
~Shellie Benson Photography~
www.shelliebenson.com
February 13th, 2010, 09:55 AM
Katie81's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm not a reuser. I like to shop/decorate. Even if this baby had been another girl I would have done a whole new nursery theme. I sell a lot on ebay though so all of DD's old clothes and bedding had already been sold before I got pregnant. I spend a small fortune on clothes for her every season, but I resell it the following year and use the money to buy the next season's clothes. I made over $1200 this month on ebay selling last summer's stuff.
February 13th, 2010, 10:18 AM
shanna's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My daughter is 4.5 yrs old now and I still have her old bedding set but I totally wanted to do a ladybug theme for this one so I splurged. I did get rid of most of her stuff too so I had to rebuy all the baby gear too.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search