breastfeeding/calories/weight?

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 13th, 2010, 06:55 PM
fibigrey's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to fibigrey
I am trying to figure out how many calories I will need to eat while breastfeeding AND trying to lose weight at the same time..

Because this will be (hopefully) my first time breastfeeding, I'm not familiar at all with it. But I am trying to figure out my diet/exercise plans for when this baby is born, since I havn't been able to be active AT ALL since october, and well, my diet is a pregnancy diet, which is bottomless pit, give me what I want when I want it lol..

If I don't eat right, I'm scared my milk production is going to run out.. because I am scared I am going to do one of two things: Get too many calories and NOT be able to lose weight, OR not get enough calories and lose my milk production... I have never had a good diet and have really been on either extreme.

I found this:

How Many Calories Do You Burn a Day Breastfeeding? | eHow.com

Since the nursing mom is burning so many calories a day just through milk production, she needs to follow an optimal diet. Breastfeeding moms should consume between 1800 to 2000 or more calories a day, or 300 to 500 more calories per day more than those consumed to maintain pre-pregnancy weight.
In general, moms should eat when they're hungry, which may feel like all the time. Mothers should not fill up on junk to make up for needed calories---eat a balanced diet full of whole grains, fruits and vegetables (preferably organic), protein and healthy fats. Avoid additives, contaminants and highly processed foods since whatever is eaten passes directly into breast milk and ultimately into baby.

Anyone have suggestions? or what did you do when trying to lose weight and breastfeed? I know this pregnancy is going to take a HUGE toll on my self image.. I know I will get impatient and frustrated pretty much as soon as the baby is born.. I want to breastfeed, and I want to be healthy, but I am so scared that its going to push me to either gain more weight or lose my milk depending on how bad I obsess over it.

:/
February 13th, 2010, 06:59 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I was hungry all the time while breastfeeding Lily, but I still lost all my pregnancy weight (20lbs) within the first 6-8 weeks. I just made sure that when I was hungry I was eating healthy things versus junk food. I had an oversupply of milk so I know I was getting plenty of calories since my production was great.

I would just try to eat a healthy, normal diet and add in one extra snack a day of something that is close to 300 calories. Something like a glass of milk and some cheese, etc. You don't need to eat a ton more food to have a good milk supply.

February 13th, 2010, 07:26 PM
becker206's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Everyone is different, I would just play it by ear and see what works for you when the time comes. Just try to eat healthy and get exercise every day then if you aren't losing adjust your caloric limit to your needs within a safe amount.

February 13th, 2010, 07:29 PM
palmetto_moon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sadly for me, I have never been able to shed pounds while nursing regardless of food intake. Breastfeeding for me freezes the scale, it won't budge up or down unless there are very extreme dietary changes. Sort of a bummer.

Thank you Kiliki for my awesome siggy!

visit our family blog at www.stalkedbythestork.com
February 13th, 2010, 09:00 PM
emmabear's Avatar Super Mommy
I am definitely hoping to lose my preg weight while breastfeeding, so I've been wondering the same thing. I've heard it burns major calories, so I'm hoping that it does. I've already gained 25 lbs and still have 9 weeks to go...so I'm scared!

Emily

www.themodernmommy.com
February 13th, 2010, 09:04 PM
k8liz311's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I was ALWAYS hungry while breastfeeding. I BF'd my son for 2 years.. and I lost the most weight I ever had. I hit my high school weight. It was absolutely crazy. I did exercise, walked a lot.. and carrying around an active 30 lb kid definitely helps.. but I was lucky enough that BFing really helped me lose weight. I am definitely hoping that it's the same this time around.
You definitely have to keep your calories up while BFing, but you can do it in a healthy way. If you deprive yourself of the food you need, then you're milk production may go down.
I'd play it by ear.. it's hard to know how your body is going to take to BFing.. and how much milk you'll produce. How hungry you'll be etc.

February 14th, 2010, 05:34 AM
~ Christine ~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I can completely relate to your concerns. From what I have heard, you don't want to start any diet until 6 weeks post partum, in order for you to establish your supply. I'll probably wait about a month or so, and then I'm going to start going back to Weight Watchers. They have a program for nursing moms, and my SIL, who didn't lose weight BF her first, lost an ENORMOUS amount of weight and she's now smaller than she was at her wedding.

Forever missing our angel 8.31.07

February 14th, 2010, 05:53 AM
homeschooling mom of 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by amf4976 View Post
Sadly for me, I have never been able to shed pounds while nursing regardless of food intake. Breastfeeding for me freezes the scale, it won't budge up or down unless there are very extreme dietary changes. Sort of a bummer.
Ditto.... I think it varies so much from woman to woman that it's hard to say. Some say bfing helped them lose a ton of weight, for me it kept my scale locked regardless it seemed of how much or little I ate and how much I exercised. I nursed for 3 1/2yrs and my weight stayed pretty much within a couple lbs that entire time (and sadly far higher then I wanted it).
February 14th, 2010, 07:42 AM
niema's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to niema
I breastfed for the first 4 months and I was always hungry!! I didnt really lose weight but stayed the same. It wasnt until afterwards when I was able to do my extreme dieting and excercise that I lost the weight. Hopefully this is not the case this time, my self appearance means everything to me and I'll be so sad if I felt like I have to choose between weightloss or breastfeeding.
February 14th, 2010, 08:11 AM
Max n Meghan's Mom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I also felt famished while breastfeeding, from the moment my son was born until I quit breastfeeding.

The problem with not getting enough calories, is that you can also ahead up gaining weight if you send your body into starvation mode.

I asked my OB about it at my last appointment and she said between 1800-2000 calories should be good. I also plan on talking to someone at the hospital before we leave.

The women on the breastfeeding board and on the weight loss board here on JM can also be very helpful with these things.

But mainly, just listen to your body. Eat when you're hungry but make healthy choices.

Thank you for my beautiful siggy, *Kiliki*!Visit My Blog

February 14th, 2010, 10:45 AM
TeamNick's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I burn crazy calories when I am BF'ing I could eat non-stop and still lose weight.

Unfortunately every woman is different and you won't know which you are until you start BF'ing.

Mommy to Evie and Isla Marie

February 14th, 2010, 10:56 AM
becker206's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom at Home View Post
Ditto.... I think it varies so much from woman to woman that it's hard to say. Some say bfing helped them lose a ton of weight, for me it kept my scale locked regardless it seemed of how much or little I ate and how much I exercised. I nursed for 3 1/2yrs and my weight stayed pretty much within a couple lbs that entire time (and sadly far higher then I wanted it).

This is EXACTLY the way it was for me as well. I finally gave up and just ate regularly instead of trying to diet because it didn't make an ounce of difference... I am hoping this time will be different..

February 15th, 2010, 12:04 PM
krissy1989's Avatar is loving her two boys!
I was a little overweight before pregnancy, and I would be happy just to return to that starting point, even if it means that I don't look my best. I was comfortable, and DH thought I looked sexy, so that's all that matters. I'm hoping that BF'ing gets me back to that pre-preg weight, and then I'm hoping that regular exercise gets me a little skinnier than I was before. I won't be dieting, though. Just making healthier choices. I figure dieting would be necessary if I wanted to lose a lot of weight and reach my "perfect body," but since that's not THAT important to me anymore (and I don't want to risk losing my milk supply), I'm not going to short myself that occasional candy bar and soda.

LoveLove
Love
LUV LOVE YOU!!
February 15th, 2010, 12:16 PM
DondraB's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I BF for a year......I held on to that last 10 lbs of pregnancy weight while I was nursing. I was STARVING as soon as she was done nursing...so I ate whatever was around! Once I stopped nursing, I went on WW and lost that last 10 lbs within a month/two. This time I am hoping to be able to BF for the first year again, and hopefully, since I have a 2.5 yr old to chase around, it will help me lose more weight lol I also am going to try and eat a little healthier this time too...even though like others said, it didn't matter what I ate...I couldn't get rid of the last 10lbs until I went on WW.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search