DHA supplements

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 14th, 2010, 11:56 AM
HopelessP's Avatar Ashlyn's Mommy
Send a message via AIM to HopelessP Send a message via Yahoo to HopelessP
I was wondering if any of you are taking any DHA supplements and if so, what?

My doctor has me taking Omega 3 fish oil pills so I can get in my DHA but I really hate taking it. When I burp it tastes (and probably smells) fishy. It's quite disgusting so I want to switch to something more tolerable. I saw that Enfamil has something out
DHA Supplement for Moms - Enfamil

Should I see about switching it up or does taking the fish oil have other benefits to make it worth continuing with it?

February 14th, 2010, 12:10 PM
MichelleN's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I take the CVS prental vitamin. It is 2 vitamins. 1 is the regular prenatal and the 2nd is the DHA pill. I haven't had ANY problems with it at all.
February 14th, 2010, 12:30 PM
HopelessP's Avatar Ashlyn's Mommy
Send a message via AIM to HopelessP Send a message via Yahoo to HopelessP
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleN View Post
I take the CVS prental vitamin. It is 2 vitamins. 1 is the regular prenatal and the 2nd is the DHA pill. I haven't had ANY problems with it at all.
When i went to get a new bottle of prenatals I saw one that had the 2 pills. I wanted to get it but I still had a decent amount of my fish oil left. I'm almost out of fish oil and doing just fine w/my prenatals so I would have to get DHA separately.

I should've just stuck with the prenatals I was first taking. They were great. Had DHA in them. I didn't realize how important the DHA was when I switched off of them
Amazon.com: Nature Made Prenatal Multi Plus 200 mg DHA - 90 Liquid Softgels: Health & Personal Care

February 14th, 2010, 12:49 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I take the NatureMade with DHA. There are pills with DHA/fish oil that are vegetarian (so not really fish oil). Those would help with the fishy taste you are experiencing.

February 14th, 2010, 01:36 PM
onelove1109's Avatar Super Mommy
I am taking Prenate (I think thats what it is) It is a prenatal/fish oil combo. I had to start taking mine at night or else they made me soooo sick and the fish burps made it 10x worse. Try taking them right before you go to bed.

Thanks so much Jaidynsmum for my adorable siggy!

February 14th, 2010, 01:44 PM
ChrissySTL's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I also take the NatureMade prenatal vitamins with the DHA in them. I used to take fish oil and I never had that problem with the fishy taste but I know a lot of people who did.

You can take flax seed oil which should give you the same benefits as the DHA but without the fishy taste. You can take flax seed oil in pills, an oil, or grains. It is SUPER healthy and great whether you are pregnant or not.

Thank you MeganPixel for surprising me with this super cute siggy-you rock!

February 14th, 2010, 02:08 PM
J-V221's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've been taking Expecta. Its a gel capsule that is a DHA supplement that doesn't have any fish it in. It's made from plants and I have no aftertaste what so ever. I buy it at target since my dr. Wanted me to start taking it since my very first appointment.
February 14th, 2010, 03:41 PM
Jannell's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have been taking the NatureMade pills as well. I have never had a problem with them, def. recommend them!
February 14th, 2010, 04:10 PM
Baby3OnItsWay's Avatar Super Mommy
If you keep your fish oil pills in the freezer, it will prevent the taste/burping and such and will not hurt it in any way. Great tip from my OB and pharmacist.

February 14th, 2010, 04:50 PM
frankie's Avatar Proud Mommy
Funny that you wrote this!!! I take pruet dha its 2 pills and it repeats on me so bad.. I can agree with the burping its nasty!!!

trying for~~~Commitment leads to action. Action brings your dream closer~~~~ Marcia Wieder
February 14th, 2010, 07:25 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I take Citranatal that has a DHA pill and regular pill in it.

I took Omega 3 for a short period b/c BF read the bottle and it said that pregnant women should not take it. I asked my doc office and the nurse on call said not to take those. in order to get DHA take the ones that come with the DHA pill b/c those are safer.
February 14th, 2010, 07:37 PM
shanna's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've taken Fish Oil pills for a long time now and never had any issues. They have some that our specially coated to make the flavor and taste go away.
February 15th, 2010, 12:54 PM
amazing_love's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I take the One a Day prenatals. They have two pills, one of them being DHA. I'm actually considering switching to NatureMade with DHA though because they're less expensive.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search