Who else in this DDC is planning...

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 5th, 2010, 07:13 PM
hey there elizabeth's Avatar Johnathon's Mommy<3
a home birth???

I really want a home water birth.

Who else is planning one too?

^^ Thanks Niamh!!!<3

March 5th, 2010, 08:29 PM
Gaby&Emmy'sMama's Avatar aka NZ-Emma
I would really really have loved one, but my anxiety issues prevent me from feeling 'safe' giving birth anywhere but a hospital.. which is silly really - because I know that homebirths (in a majority of cases) are just as 'safe' as hospital births, if not more so....

March 5th, 2010, 09:03 PM
leahmariv's Avatar Super Mommy
i think it would be great having a home birth... i just really like being waited on in the hospital lol
March 5th, 2010, 10:46 PM
LJD3Tdance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LJD3Tdance Send a message via Yahoo to LJD3Tdance
I have considered it, but there are a few things I really want about the hospital birth, nothing to do with the usual reasons people skip the homebirth though

March 5th, 2010, 11:17 PM
Voodoo Lady's Avatar Latin & Greek Professor
I'm doing a homebirth - just ordered the birth kit and supplies today for the birthing pool.

I'm really excited about it!

Our entire upper floor is our bedroom, so we're going to put the birthing pool up there (there is a bathroom up there too, so we'll be able to affix a hose to the faucet to fill it up).

We just saw our midwife today and are getting it all in order.

March 5th, 2010, 11:17 PM
3xCrazy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Im planning a hospital water birth I think my bff is considering a home water birth. I have no idea what the laws n such are in australia for them so Im asking my midwife for her.

You should go an introduce yourself in the natural child birth board. They are friendly and have loads of info there.

March 6th, 2010, 12:26 AM
caitie_pie's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to caitie_pie
I honestly don't think I could do a water birth. I think I'd feel less in control.

I haven't really looked into it all that much but I was in swimming in high school and idk, I just can't imagine having a baby in a pool.

Thank you Julka for my amazing Siggy<3
March 6th, 2010, 04:42 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahmariv View Post
i think it would be great having a home birth... i just really like being waited on in the hospital lol
Ditto this! I'm pretty into natural childbirth but I'm just not up for the task of prepping my home for a birth. I also like having my meals brought to me in bed after (I know most midwives bring snacks and stuff to the mom after delivery, but it's not the same). I'd also feel obliged to have ds around and I don't want anything extra to handle while in labour and the day or so after.

Ideally I'd be giving birth at a birthing centre as it is kind of the best of both worlds but as my due date creeps closer it looks more and more like I won't make it off the waiting list

March 6th, 2010, 05:26 AM
Super Mommy
would love a homebirth...but feel more comfortable in a medical facility due to my previous stillbirth. If I go into labor on my own we'll be in the birth center, otherwise induction at 39wks (so i'm not prego at the time I lost Joey) with the midwives.
Jamie ~ 7-12-04 ~ fun, crazy, transformer loving tough-guy mama's boy
and
Joey ~ 4-4-09 ~ born sleeping ~ held under my heart for 40wk1d, in my arms for just 6 short hours but he will be in my heart forever
And finally holding my little girl,Felicity Rose, Born into Daddy's loving hands on June 9, 2010

March 6th, 2010, 06:29 AM
josie_24's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I also do not have the motivation to prep my home (an dit would be nearly impossible for many reasons) but I would LOOOOVE to do a water birth at a birthing center. Too bad in live in a city without that option.

Thank you Kellarazzi for my siggie!!
March 6th, 2010, 06:36 AM
shannonranee
I would love a home birth - because I hate being messed with and hospital food is the most awful stuff there is (if they even bring you something you will eat - last time I was in the hospital they brought me dry wheat toast, not even any butter on it and coffee - um dry toast is nasty and I dont drink coffee - then I got nothing else until lunch - so basically got no breakfast) but in case the baby needed extra care I feel better being right at the hospital already.
March 6th, 2010, 07:04 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I never really thought about doing a homebirth myself. Its great for everyone who wants to but totally not for me! I like having babies in the hospital. For one, I am terrified something might go wrong and like having plenty of resources at my disposal. I have lots of other reasons too but I won't get into them all! Good luck though if you decide to do that.

March 6th, 2010, 04:23 PM
I chose to do a homebirth because there are NO birthing centers here.
I chose a water birth because I feel more relaxed in water anyway & it helps reduce tearing.
& I'm going to catch my own baby

I also chose a home birth because I do NOT agree with how they do things at a hospital.
IMO, I'm better off birthing in the woods than at a hospital.
I refuse to have my sons birth "managed" by the staff & how they think it should go.
Nor are they cutting me anyplace!!
Also alot of the procedures they perform on your new infant are 1. Unnecessary
& 2. Actually harmful.

so yeah, no hospital for me.

^^ Thanks Niamh!!!<3

March 6th, 2010, 07:27 PM
momtothe3rdpower's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I wish I could but I have a problem after delivering, my uterus doesn't "clamp down" so I lose blood. Very scary, and not dealing with that away from a hospital with access to help. I am changing hospitals this time though because of it. This hospital has baby drs in the room for baby only so when all the drs. focus on me bleeding out the baby won't be ignored like she was last time.
March 6th, 2010, 07:44 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We're planning on a homebirth, I'm not sure I'm comfortable with a water birth though. My mum worked in the L&D section and NICU, and has told me she's seen babies sneeze when they only have their heads out... which means they have to be able to get some air IN in order to sneeze, which also means if they were to 'sneeze' under water, they would aspirate water, which could cause MAJOR complications in an adult, let alone newborn... so I don't know that we'll do a water birth. But, I DO think water would be nice for during labour.
March 6th, 2010, 10:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiskid1324 View Post
We're planning on a homebirth, I'm not sure I'm comfortable with a water birth though. My mum worked in the L&D section and NICU, and has told me she's seen babies sneeze when they only have their heads out... which means they have to be able to get some air IN in order to sneeze, which also means if they were to 'sneeze' under water, they would aspirate water, which could cause MAJOR complications in an adult, let alone newborn... so I don't know that we'll do a water birth. But, I DO think water would be nice for during labour.
The way it was explained to me is they do not breath in til they hit the air.
they're going from water(amniotic sac) to water
But once their head is above the water you can't put them back down in it. lol

^^ Thanks Niamh!!!<3

March 6th, 2010, 11:10 PM
3xCrazy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey there elizabeth View Post
The way it was explained to me is they do not breath in til they hit the air.
they're going from water(amniotic sac) to water
But once their head is above the water you can't put them back down in it. lol
yeah thats how i figured it as well.

March 6th, 2010, 11:21 PM
HippieLove's Avatar Modern Day Brady Bunch
Send a message via MSN to HippieLove
I did a little researching on water births that is just a theory as stated here
Quote:
Over the last 30 years as water birth has grown in popularity, there has been very little research done to determine the risks of water birth. Some studies have been done in Europe demonstrating similar perinatal mortality rates between water births and conventional births.1 According to an article written by the Royal College of Obstetrician and Gynecologists, there may be a theoretical risk of water embolism, which is when water enters the motherís blood stream.2 Though the British Medical Journal is 95% confident in water births, they do see a possible risk for water aspiration. If the baby is experiencing stress in the birth canal or the umbilical cord becomes kinked or twisted, the baby may gasp for air, possibly inhaling water into the lungs.3 This would be rare because babies do not inhale air until they are exposed to air. They receive oxygen through the umbilical cord until they start to breathe on their own or until the cord is cut. The final potential risk to consider is that the umbilical cord could snap as the baby is brought to the surface of the water. This is preventable by using caution when lifting the baby up to the motherís chest.
there are also MANY benefits see here
Benefits for Mother:
  • Water is soothing, comforting, relaxing.
  • In the later stages of labor, the water seems to increase the womanís energy.
  • The buoyancy lessens her body weight, allows free movement and new positioning.
  • Buoyancy promotes more efficient uterine contractions and better blood circulation, resulting in better oxygenation of the uterine muscles, less pain for the mother, and more oxygen for the baby.
  • Immersion in water often helps lower high blood pressure caused by anxiety.
  • Water seems to alleviate stress-related hormones, allowing the motherís body to produce endorphins, which are pain-inhibitors.
  • Water causes the perineum to become more elastic and relaxed, which reduces the incidence and severity of tearing and the need for an episiotomy and stitches.
  • As the laboring women relaxes physically she is able to relax mentally, concentrating her efforts inward on the birth process.
  • The water provides a sense of privacy, which releases inhibitions, anxiety, and fears.
Benefits for Baby:
  • Provides a similar environment as the amniotic sac.
  • Eases the stress of the birth, providing reassurance and security.

Water Birth : American Pregnancy Association
ore on aspiration see here (warning sad)
Homebirth Debate: Baby dies of freshwater drowning at waterbirth

I would love to have a water birth there are so many benefits and I could imagine it would be amazing.

In the end you have to really do your research weigh up risks from the benefits (about everything) and make a decision your most comfortable with.

I will be having a hospital birth due to the fact that I like hospitals its where I feel safe and comfortable

Emma, girlfriend of Loz, future step-mama to J (15) and K (10), Mama to Jaelah (7), Oliver (5), Mianna (3) and Harper (1), WTTC our first together, in 2015.

Last edited by HippieLove; March 6th, 2010 at 11:28 PM.
March 7th, 2010, 04:59 AM
Super Mommy
I had a waterbirth for my first birth adn it was beautiful and peaceful and i'm hoping to do it again this time. I highly recommend it!
Jamie ~ 7-12-04 ~ fun, crazy, transformer loving tough-guy mama's boy
and
Joey ~ 4-4-09 ~ born sleeping ~ held under my heart for 40wk1d, in my arms for just 6 short hours but he will be in my heart forever
And finally holding my little girl,Felicity Rose, Born into Daddy's loving hands on June 9, 2010

March 7th, 2010, 06:16 AM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
Thomas, Hope, and Mary were all delivered at home, and we plan for this one to be born @ home also. With Thomas I planned the possibility of using our garden tub for the birth, but ended up not using it for more than a minute. I've never really even liked baths or pools so a water birth just isn't a match for me.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 3 and John Anthony, born May 24

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

Remember your resolution to lose weight or start working out? Click the blinkie to join us!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search