Real Contractions...-What are they like?

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 8th, 2010, 04:45 AM
Charizomai's Avatar Mommy to Three!
Im asking because its been 6 years since I've been pregnant! I get BH Contrax all the time and I know what those are....but as for real contractions I'm at a loss...

W/my son, when My water broke, I was in no pain at all. The nurses kept asking my what my pain level was and I felt perfectly fine, I honestly had NO pain, but according to the monitor they had me hooked up too, my contractions were extremely intense and off the charts. I guess I was one of the lucky ones on that birth. The only pain I ever felt was like mild period cramps every now and then and they told me that those *WERE* contractions.

Now with my daughter, all I remember was excruciating pain, but they said it was because she was all pushed up on a nervce and it was making the labor much worse and harder.

Anyway, I'm asking because the last few days, I've been getting period like cramps, and last night, while laying in bed, I got this pain that shot from my crotch all the way to under my left boob and it felt like it was pulsating, it was like a period cramp but it also felt like a shocking type pain, like lightning. It wasnt really all that painful but it did concern me. Since then, I havent been getting them at any intervals worth timing but I've Been getting more and more little period like cramps here and there, more like twinges.

Are those considered contractions (the real ones).? I feel like I should already know this....

I happily Breastfed Alba for 5 1/2 months!!!!

Below is my weightloss ticker. This is not for the pregnancy weight to come off as it has pretty much all came off. The rest of it is just what I've been wanting to loose for a while now to get back to my healthier weight!

March 8th, 2010, 05:12 AM
kimmiejo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
for me real contractions felt tight like a BH but way more painful, like I would have to stop and breathe or sit down or something LOL and they were very regular, I could watch the clock and know when the next one was coming before it actually came. I had a lot of BH with Sydney but when labor actually started I just knew it was different, it took maybe 4 or 5 real contractions to realize it though but then I was like umm yeah this is definately different
March 8th, 2010, 06:19 AM
Charizomai's Avatar Mommy to Three!
Thanks Kimme!
I know its not the same for everyone....unfortunately, so it makes it hard for us to explain our contractions... Its wierd but the BH ones this time around, seem much more intense than they did w/the other two........

I happily Breastfed Alba for 5 1/2 months!!!!

Below is my weightloss ticker. This is not for the pregnancy weight to come off as it has pretty much all came off. The rest of it is just what I've been wanting to loose for a while now to get back to my healthier weight!

March 8th, 2010, 07:53 AM
nuclearwife82's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to nuclearwife82
I'm feeling the same way! I didn't have any natural contractions with ds they were all pitocin contractions and I'm not sure what I should be expecting.

March 8th, 2010, 07:57 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Well, I had back labor because Alie was sunny side up...so my contractions were like NOTHING I had ever felt before.
March 8th, 2010, 08:45 AM
harmstrong's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I always get tightening, and what feels like period cramping, it's pretty painful but not 100% unbearable until they break my water. And then the real pain starts! I have to keep track becuase those dialate me to 4-5 on their own and pretty quickly, but don't hurt so much so that I can't function which is why I start keeping track before too long with them.
March 8th, 2010, 09:18 AM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
BH vs Real contractions.... I've asked myself the same thing before. IMO real contractions don't go away until the baby comes. LOL They only get worse and closer together and no matter what you do, they don't go away. LOL With BHs sometimes drinking water or laying down make them go away... even in early labor if you take a shower they go away... that to me isn't a real contraction. Real contractions get closer together and more painful over time... and then the baby comes!

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
March 8th, 2010, 09:30 AM
shannonranee
that pain you were describing you had last night - I get that all the time - usually when baby is hitting a nerve just right. I also get period cramps a few times everyday.

Real contractions for everyone are different. My mom said when she had me she just had back pain that felt like she needed to Poop - it lasted 19min and there I was - no other pain at all. When my sister had her first the contractions were the normal that I think everyone expects. with her 1st son her stomach tightened for about 20 min straight and out he came. with her last baby she said it just felt like period cramps.

Last edited by shannonranee; March 8th, 2010 at 09:34 AM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search