UGH so frustrated with OB's office! What would you do?

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 8th, 2010, 06:44 PM
Jessica-mom of 4's Avatar Veteran
So first let me say I know that no one probably remembers me I haven't been posting much cause i've had alot going on that i'm not even gonna get into in this post but anyways...

So yesterday I wasn't feeling good. I've been really tired lately, i get dizzy, nauseated and was having some stomach pain. But I was just trying to deal with it. Well around bedtime last night I started having quite a bit of pain in my upper right part of my stomach just under my ribcage. And i tossed and turned all night because of it. Woke up this morning and it's still there but it's coming and going in spurts so my first thought is well this might be a gallbladder attack. I've had trouble with my gallbladder before but never bad enough for them to remove it so i've always been told in a round about way to deal with it for now.

Well I finally called OB's office to see if they could get me in. The dr calls me back and says, "oh you have the flu" and I said "um no" and he says yeah let me guess "vomiting and diarrhea". And I said no I told you guys that it was "nausea, dizziness, headache, and indigestion even when drinking fluids and pain in the upper part of my stomach under my ribs". So he then puts me on hold and comes back after a few minutes and says am i speaking to Jessica and I was like yes and he then says "ok yeah i think its the flu that's going around so drink powerade but dont worry so much about eating since your nauseated and i'll call you in nausea medicine". And I was like ok whatever and he said when do you see me next and I said well i see the midwife on march 23 (mind you I haven't seen him since I was about 14 weeks and i'm now just over 27 weeks) and he said well if your still feeling like this on thursday then call me back and i'll try to fit you in.

So THEN, i wait about 2 hours and go try to pick up the script and they tell me nope nothing was called in, so i called dr's office and the lady said "well the dr had to go to the hospital and there's no notes in your chart are you sure you talked to the dr" and I was like "um yes" so she said "well I can't do anything till he gets back so we'll call you" and i said ok. So then they tried to call but after 2 rings hung up and i tried to call back right away and low and behold it was their lunch hour so no answer. I tried again a little after 2 and a diff lady said well I dont see anything i'll have to ask the nurse to find out. Finally at about 3:15 another woman calls and says we already called it in and i said ok do you know when and she said no just that we did call it in and she said you should tell walmart to check their machine cause we left a message.

To top it all off then i called walmart pharmacy and they told me they had nothing for a Jessica and my last name but they did for a Jennifer. And I said wait and confirmed the dr and the type of medicine and sure enough we found the problem. So my OB office didn't even call it in under the right name after all of that. I mean come on. I know they are busy and they have alot to deal with but first i felt like i got the brush off cause obviously i dont have the flu, then they cant get the medicine called in and then they called it in under the wrong name!! So i'm honestly debating on trying to find another OB. If you ladies were in my shoes would you be upset and wanna switch dr's as well? I'm lookin for opinions here cause even my DH knows how i am and i tolerate pain pretty well and this is my 4th baby so i would know some of this stuff and he didn't like how this all went. He would like for me to switch but i'm unsure any suggestions?

Sorry this was so long!!

March 8th, 2010, 07:03 PM
3xCrazy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
if that kinda thing happens alot with your OB then yeah i would look into finding a new one.

March 8th, 2010, 07:08 PM
laurabelle's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
i think it is a bit ridic they couldnt even get your name right!
March 8th, 2010, 07:13 PM
shannonranee
I would be finding another OB if that kind of stuff is happening.
March 8th, 2010, 07:17 PM
MommaLee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi, I remember you.

I would look for another OB.....it really depends on you, but I tend to have a 1 or 2 strike policy. My biggest problem with what your doctor did is diagnosed you over the phone. I don't know one doctor that does that because of liability reasons (my brother is a physician). Even if you call a nurses or doctor line, they will give advice but cannot diagnose over the phone....they will advise you to go to visit hospital or doctor.
March 8th, 2010, 07:25 PM
Ya I honestly believed that because of my symptoms and the fact that I had preeclampsia for 2 out of 3 of my pregnancies that they'd want to see me just to do a check. Then again the midwife told me like a month or so ago that since this baby has a different dad than my other 3 (2nd marriage) that different sperm means different outcomes on pregnancies. But I always thought it depended on the womans body not the sperm lol. I just dont like the fact that they brushed me off so easily and then screwed up so much. UGH.... Thanks for all your replies...

March 8th, 2010, 07:31 PM
Mom.to.PinknBlue's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would honestly find a new doctor. I had the same thing a few weeks ago with the pain under the ribcage. I landed in the ER and they said my gall bladder was fine but couldn't tell me why I had the pain.

I hope you can get things figured out!
I know the pain can be associated with PreE but if your urine and BP have been fine, idk what it could be. And as for the sperm is what decides what issues you have is BS. You are correct its the mothers body..
March 8th, 2010, 07:40 PM
LM1385's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'd be pissed! Hopefully you can find a better Dr.

March 8th, 2010, 07:54 PM
Gaby&Emmy'sMama's Avatar aka NZ-Emma
that's pretty unprofessional if you ask me!

March 8th, 2010, 07:57 PM
Veteran
I've been reading up a lot on pregnancy induced hypertension and pre-e. From what I am finding out, there is a good bit of evidence that it IS related to the father much of the time. It has to do the woman's reaction to the proteins in the father's sperm and, of course, baby/placenta. It's been up for debate for years, but there is plenty of info out there about the protein issue. I posted this on another thread many weeks ago, but there are some researchers studying the effect of how long the couple has been having unprotected sex because the longer they have been before the conception, the longer the mother has been exposed to the proteins and may not develop the pre-e....interesting, but I don't think anyone knows for sure.
March 8th, 2010, 08:00 PM
SpydrMnky27's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mum2Gaby&Emersyn View Post
that's pretty unprofessional if you ask me!
ditto!
March 8th, 2010, 08:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by neefer View Post
I've been reading up a lot on pregnancy induced hypertension and pre-e. From what I am finding out, there is a good bit of evidence that it IS related to the father much of the time. It has to do the woman's reaction to the proteins in the father's sperm and, of course, baby/placenta. It's been up for debate for years, but there is plenty of info out there about the protein issue. I posted this on another thread many weeks ago, but there are some researchers studying the effect of how long the couple has been having unprotected sex because the longer they have been before the conception, the longer the mother has been exposed to the proteins and may not develop the pre-e....interesting, but I don't think anyone knows for sure.
Ya that is pretty interesting.. In my experience I had it with both my first and second children and i had been with there father for 5-6 years at that point and we were unprotected. With my 3rd it was starting to develop at the end but I just took it easy and kept an eye on things and it seemed to stay at bay until he was taken by c-section at 39 weeks. I had both of my other two at 37 weeks. My 3 kids have the same dad this one has a diff one. So it's weird that with the same dad i would have it with 2 and not with 1. I always felt like it was how my body was handling the pregnancy but who knows like you said I dont think there is anything in particular or any one thing that causes it.

March 8th, 2010, 08:16 PM
MomtoCarly&Sofia's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by neefer View Post

I heard this from a nurse when I was induced with DD. She mentioned it because I had pre-e and we were talking about how DH's mom had it with him. I found it very interesting

March 8th, 2010, 08:40 PM
BluvnU4evr's Avatar Erica
Yes, find another dr.

March 8th, 2010, 10:36 PM
babyloves2dance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaLee View Post
My biggest problem with what your doctor did is diagnosed you over the phone.

I agree with everyone else that is saying to find a different OB. To me it just seems like they really don't care about YOU! You and your baby are the most important things right now and they should make every effort to make sure that you and your baby are well taken care of. JMO.

Missing our angel since February 17, 2009

Come join us!! Click on the blinkies below to follow me there!

March 9th, 2010, 05:08 AM
Charizomai's Avatar Mommy to Three!
Oh wow. I would start calling around as soon as places open today to see if anyone else can get you in and find another OB...that is just insane!

I happily Breastfed Alba for 5 1/2 months!!!!

Below is my weightloss ticker. This is not for the pregnancy weight to come off as it has pretty much all came off. The rest of it is just what I've been wanting to loose for a while now to get back to my healthier weight!

March 9th, 2010, 05:52 AM
kimmiejo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
^^ditto that! that was very unprofessional of your OB, sorry you are dealing with that!
March 9th, 2010, 06:30 AM
Momeejenjen's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Momeejenjen
Yeah, I would find a new OB... that is not cool!
March 9th, 2010, 07:47 AM
Thanks everyone I'm gonna look at other OB's today. I didn't want to find another OB because i'm getting so late already but what if an emergency comes up and they brush me off and it has a bad ending. I'm not willing to go thru that and chance mine or baby's life. Thanks for all your replies and advice I really appreciate it!!

March 9th, 2010, 08:03 AM
MommyPoky's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to MommyPoky Send a message via MSN to MommyPoky Send a message via Yahoo to MommyPoky
It sounds like he's a jerk, I hope you find someone better! That being said, I have had numerous problems with Wal mart pharmacy, to the point I drive further to Wal greens. I don't know what qualifications you have to have to work there, but I hate it. I wouldn't be surpised if it was the pharmacy that messed up your name. Still, you want an ob that takes you seriously.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search